Women's football

The beautiful game!

Re: Women's football

Postby Alviro Patterson » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:05 pm

sussexpob wrote:With Coronavirus stripping a lot of money from the game, I can see womens football suffering quite dramatically. One only has to look at the table, with Arsenal smashing in 30 goals in 4 games, to see a pretty noticeable gaps even in the small Premier League between the top power teams, and those woman's sides that coming from lower league teams. Bristol for instance have been annihilated this season.

not great as a spectacle to have such a massive gap in quality in such a small league.

Huddersfield Town women have declined the opportunity to apply for a place in the WSL, despite being top of the National League North for something like the 2nd season running. They don't have the £140k funds required to participate in a higher division.

Women's football has missed a trick in not operating like the ECB. Any significant interest is more likely to be orientated around the national side, rather than following nursery teams of a Premier League club.

The WSL should be like The Hundred. Franchises part owned by County FA's/Football clubs. Player drafts to evenly spread the talent. 9 teams in WSL1, 13 teams in WSL 2. WSL1 teams play each other 3 times, WSL2 twice (24 match regular season). Two up two down. WSL1 league leaders qualify for the Grand Final at Wembley, 2nd v 3rd in a midweek playoff. WSL2 league leaders win automatic promotion, 2nd-5th in a Football League style playoff. Playoff Final hosted at highest placed team's ground.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun May 02, 2021 4:36 pm

Chelsea Women reach the CL final, I think for the first time. Having watched the first game I thought Bayern would win but I was wrong. Can the men make it a double?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon May 10, 2021 6:59 am

Chelsea win the league, as expected and still on for the quadruple I believe.
Gingerfinch

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon May 17, 2021 12:45 pm

Chelsea were well and truly beaten last night. Barca were knocking it around at pace, similar to their male counterparts, whilst Chelsea looked slow and nervous.
Gingerfinch

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 17, 2021 7:33 pm

Gingerfinch wrote:Chelsea were well and truly beaten last night. Barca were knocking it around at pace, similar to their male counterparts, whilst Chelsea looked slow and nervous.

What made me laugh is the forgiving nature of the press for the women. If Chelsea males had been blasted apart in minutes and embarrassed like that, heads would role.

The BBC instead told a sweet tale of Roman joining the team and them saying they'd make the final again
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon May 17, 2021 7:41 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Gingerfinch wrote:Chelsea were well and truly beaten last night. Barca were knocking it around at pace, similar to their male counterparts, whilst Chelsea looked slow and nervous.

What made me laugh is the forgiving nature of the press for the women. If Chelsea males had been blasted apart in minutes and embarrassed like that, heads would role.

The BBC instead told a sweet tale of Roman joining the team and them saying they'd make the final again

It can be a bit patronising at times with the media and I doubt the players want it that way. Tuchel will be getting hammered by the media if City thump them 4-0. That said, I like Hayes and hope she gets them back to the final next year.
Gingerfinch

Previous

Return to Football Forum