Durham Match Thread 2019

county and domestic cricket around the world

Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:20 am

Durham has a new brand (woo hoo), a new director of cricket (whatever that is), a new lead high performance coach (whatever that is), a new overseas opening batsman (who keeps wicket for Western Australia, which will please Stuart Poynter a lot less than it pleases me) and a new T20 specialist........ a good one too!

It even has a pre-season programme :o a returning prodigal son and, of course, a new member

Most of the players (not called Stuart Poynter) have even been tied down to long term contracts, so won't be pinched quite so easily by Surrey, Lancs or Notts

Okay....... there's no captain, no batting coach, (and please don't ask for a T20 lead high performance coach as a refusal often offends) but these are very minor details with the new season a very, very lengthy 4 weeks away.... so absolutely no need to rush into things

welcome to the 2019 season...... it might even be emotional
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 46774
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:29 am

But don't even think about that time limited extra promotion slot....... that way madness lies
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 46774
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby westoelad » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:14 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:But don't even think about that time limited extra promotion slot....... that way madness lies

Hey, I'd take that 3rd promotion slot in a heartbeat D/F, beggars can't be choosers!
Given that management don't appear to be capable of deciding on a captain , how about leaving it to a member's vote at the April 1st meeting- appropriate date given some of the, particularly white ball, captains we've had of late.
Ramps for batting coach anyone?
westoelad
 
Posts: 6964
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby captaincolly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:33 pm

westoelad wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:But don't even think about that time limited extra promotion slot....... that way madness lies

Hey, I'd take that 3rd promotion slot in a heartbeat D/F, beggars can't be choosers!
Given that management don't appear to be capable of deciding on a captain , how about leaving it to a member's vote at the April 1st meeting- appropriate date given some of the, particularly white ball, captains we've had of late.
Ramps for batting coach anyone?

I'm sure he will be looking to move on rather than just sit in the sidelines with England until the end of his contract in September- so he must be open to offers. Can't imagine Giles will insist on him honouring his contract because he clearly wants rid of him!
I think the white ball captaincy will be the trickiest - in the FC game there's enough time for experienced players to chip in but, particularly in the T20 , whoever does the job is essentially on his own.
Short might be a good option for the T20 job?
captaincolly
 
Posts: 29502
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:41 pm

I think we'll make progress but I don't hold out much hope for a top 3 finish

the thought of Ramps suddenly becoming available fills me with horror...... then again his test average of 27 may not be remotely good enough for a test batting coach, but his FC average of 53 would certainly be good enough at county level...

After last year, any coach who could get the whole batting line to achieve anything above 30 for the season would feel like a significant improvement on JJB
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 46774
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby captaincolly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:57 pm

Suppose the thing with Ramps is whether or not his apparent intense personality makes him suitable for coaching - he may well be much more relaxed when working with players. Colly will know.
It does seem quite shambolic not to have a captain/s or batting coach in place just a few weeks before the start. Unless they have got them sorted and are planning to do another Twitter 'teaser' campaign before the big reveal!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 29502
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby captaincolly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:09 pm

They've got plenty of time to think about it but , last year Lewis made it clear that the long boundaries in T20 were a deliberate attempt at home advantage - low scoring games with Tahir. It worked but- the other bowlers still had a few 'issues' and with two overseas batsmen - especially Short - it might require a rethink. Short boundaries might allow some swashbuckling innings from the top of the order but the rest of the lineup aren't renowned for big hitting and what about our bowlers? :scared
Long boundaries might nullify Short but short boundaries might well expose various other shortcomings!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 29502
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:14 pm

shortcomings?

what shortcomings?

is Short coming?
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 46774
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:17 pm

Short would be a good choice for T20 capt (I can't remember of he's skip for the Hobart Hurricanes, or not... he might be), but that would only work if he's really going to be around for the whole campaign. At least if he does become skip, then we may very well be able to assume that he has no plans to tittle off to the CPL at the back end of the season
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 46774
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby captaincolly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:18 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:shortcomings?

what shortcomings?

is Short coming?

:lol:
We might break a few records with short boundaries! Now what is the highest T20 score conceded by a county attack?
captaincolly
 
Posts: 29502
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:21 pm

captaincolly wrote:We might break a few records with short boundaries! Now what is the highest T20 score conceded by a county attack?

I've no idea, but I'd be prepared to wager that Coughlin was bowling at the time
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 46774
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby captaincolly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
captaincolly wrote:We might break a few records with short boundaries! Now what is the highest T20 score conceded by a county attack?

I've no idea, but I'd be prepared to wager that Coughlin was bowling at the time

Probably!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 29502
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby westoelad » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:33 pm

captaincolly wrote:They've got plenty of time to think about it but , last year Lewis made it clear that the long boundaries in T20 were a deliberate attempt at home advantage - low scoring games with Tahir. It worked but- the other bowlers still had a few 'issues' and with two overseas batsmen - especially Short - it might require a rethink. Short boundaries might allow some swashbuckling innings from the top of the order but the rest of the lineup aren't renowned for big hitting and what about our bowlers? :scared
Long boundaries might nullify Short but short boundaries might well expose various other shortcomings!

I'm all for normal boundaries-it's farcical getting 6 for edging over 3rd man or slicing over cover. Surely Aussie grounds will maintain reasonable boundaries even if shortened. I'm sure with 637 runs there's more to Short's game than power hitting. Bancroft had a canny BBL( almost 300 runs in 11ins) and Raine has a T20 ton. Clark also had a good 2018 T20(400+runs).
westoelad
 
Posts: 6964
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby westoelad » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:41 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
captaincolly wrote:We might break a few records with short boundaries! Now what is the highest T20 score conceded by a county attack?

I've no idea, but I'd be prepared to wager that Coughlin was bowling at the time

Aye, in partnership with Weighell. In fairness, though, with short boundaries in a power play bowlers are on a hiding to nothing.
westoelad
 
Posts: 6964
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Durham Match Thread 2019

Postby captaincolly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:42 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:They've got plenty of time to think about it but , last year Lewis made it clear that the long boundaries in T20 were a deliberate attempt at home advantage - low scoring games with Tahir. It worked but- the other bowlers still had a few 'issues' and with two overseas batsmen - especially Short - it might require a rethink. Short boundaries might allow some swashbuckling innings from the top of the order but the rest of the lineup aren't renowned for big hitting and what about our bowlers? :scared
Long boundaries might nullify Short but short boundaries might well expose various other shortcomings!

I'm all for normal boundaries-it's farcical getting 6 for edging over 3rd man or slicing over cover. Surely Aussie grounds will maintain reasonable boundaries even if shortened. I'm sure with 637 runs there's more to Short's game than power hitting. Bancroft had a canny BBL( almost 300 runs in 11ins) and Raine has a T20 ton. Clark also had a good 2018 T20(400+runs).

Agreed. Ultra-short boundaries make the game a farce and often pure luck. I'd forgotten Clark did so well last year, that lineup is stronger than I thought.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 29502
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Next

Return to Domestic Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: keverne and 0 guests