Yorkshire, Azeem Rafiq and racism

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Yorkshire, Azeem Rafiq and racism

Postby sussexpob » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:42 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I know Azeem stated he was dismayed by Root saying he hadn't witnessed any racism, but I hadn't figured that meant he was just watching while it happened. If that's the case then fair enough, it's not much different from taking part. It'll be good to hear Root's response to this, assuming the ECB allow him to speak freely.

Rafiq's quote

Rooty was involved in a lot of socializing nights out where I’ve been called a p***.

“He (Root) might not remember it but it just shows how normal it was in that environment, in that institution, that even a good man like him doesn’t see it for what it is. It was strange but it’s the environment and the institution that made it such a norm that people don’t remember it. And it’s not going to affect Joe, but it’s something I remember every day, but I don’t expect Joe to

In 2010s, would witnessing a friend routinely call an Asian man the P word be that forgettable? Because to me, I am pretty sure I would remember it a long time after. I dont believe for a single millisecond that Root would witness this and just discard it from his memory, or that he wouldnt remember this.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:57 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:Maurice Chambers talks about his experiences at Essex, and he has made a racist allegation against a former teammate at Northants

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/cou ... icket.html

the net widens

I wonder how far this will spread? Will any county come out of this looking clean? It's easy to see allegations surfacing at most, if not every county

That's totally appalling. Wonder what will lead from Chambers story for Essex. Obviously Sussex cant hold their head up above others after Robinson's tweets came to light, but if players have stories to tell, they should be encouraged to come out and share them.

David Lloyd is seemingly next - while Rafiq named him for attack his integrity when Rafiq first made the allegations, Lloyd's apology includes reference to a private text he sent to a friend for which he apologises to the whole Asian community. I am guessing this means the papers have something about to land that he is pre-empting.

Alex Hales is also facing questions regarding the fact he bought a black dog and named it Kevin - based on the fact he found Gary Ballance referring to every non-white person he came across while with England by the same term funny.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:58 pm

That's a good example of Azeem's habit of trying to find some context for the actions of others, when really he doesn't have to. It's just pure goodheartedness.

I guess Root has no alternative but to come clean. Where that takes him isn't easy to predict.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:18 pm

Others (Hoggard, Bresnan) have apologised, so I see it will be perilous to try and claim ignorance.

Root is in a strange position then. It looks like he was one of those who did not join in the abuse, but possibly didn't do anything to try and stop it.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:36 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Others (Hoggard, Bresnan) have apologised, so I see it will be perilous to try and claim ignorance.

Root is in a strange position then. It looks like he was one of those who did not join in the abuse, but possibly didn't do anything to try and stop it.

Bresnan has denied it on twitter in the last 30 minutes, but Hoggard did apologise. Although I not sure what Bresnan is supposed to have said, because I have seen two stories, one accusing him of some really nasty stuff, others that indicating that he was a generic bully but not racist.

I wasnt actually aware of Hoggard. Really surprises me that, he seemed always like a bit of a quiet, nice guy. What he is supposed to have said, and his apology I guess confirms it, is pretty horrific

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:38 pm

Actually, I am confusing two things with Brezza.

He apologised in his part for bullying Rafiq, but says he did not engage in any racism

sussexpob

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:58 am

I'm glad you cleared that up, because I was a bit puzzled why Bresnan apologised for and then denied the allegations

With Hoggard (and perhaps Root too), the Yorks chairman has come out and said that Yorkshire CCC was institutionally racist, so perhaps in an organisation like that, after a while, this sort of unacceptable behaviour becomes normalised and some players just get sucked into accepting its normalcy without thinking too much about it or challenging it.

When I was a boy the local corner shop was routinely called the P shop. They were nice people, but I will have referred to it as the P shop, because that's just what everyone called it. That will have been 47 years ago and I wouldn't dream of referring to it in that way today not just because it's unacceptable language, but also because it doesn't reflect who I am. It wouldn't have reflected on who I was back then either, it was just part of a culture that is now, thank goodness, outdated. All that being said, it's good that every incident like that is challenged, because it highlights to everyone that this is simply not acceptable language or behaviour in any environment and within any workplace culture.

The banana/monkey treatment of Chambers is just plain disgusting. The person or people involved in that will be really worried right now about their names being made public.... and so they should be
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:59 am

Alex Hales name has come up in all this, I notice. Is this the reason that Morgan just won't have him in the ODI set up? It's never been fully clear what the reason was other than 'trust issues'
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby sussexpob » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:38 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:Alex Hales name has come up in all this, I notice. Is this the reason that Morgan just won't have him in the ODI set up? It's never been fully clear what the reason was other than 'trust issues'

It certainly makes sense now why Ballance was dropped with an average of 50 from the test team, at a time England couldnt get a single batter to score runs. Surely this has to be a factor? And with Hales it maybe does if he was indeed involved with Ballance's idiocy.

Been a few comments on Twitter too with regards to Warner whacking Root in 2013. Warner said he was offended by what he seen as Root taking the p*ss out of Hashim Amla's beard, considering this sort of anti-Asian behaviour seemed to be a feature of Root's dressing rooms around this time, maybe his behaviour could be seen as less forgivable if Warner was indeed telling the truth. Of course, we could be adding a context that wasnt there, and Rafiq was clear to point out Root was never involved. But I guess when you dont speak out about it, you open yourself to questions.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:47 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote: I guess Root has no alternative but to come clean. Where that takes him isn't easy to predict.

He has to get that in very soon, because the window on this is short. I see no reason why Root should be treated much differently if he does the right thing soon and is fully honest; if he would come out and say "sorry, this involves close friends, but I realise now I have to do the right thing and am committed to tackling this....this is what happened".... then for me, he has to stand down as captain, but his future in the team or being its leader can be revised in the future.

Aside from that though, is there any desire in the press to hold Root account? Aside from Ronay at the Guardian, I havent seen any people looking to hold him in anyway account, which surprises me.

Maybe those with influence in the press or in the game are part of this whole problem, and arent themselves the type of people committed to change.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:17 pm

One thing I did find highly amusing is, in Yorkshire's search for someone more representative to restore trust in crickets integrity, equality and reputation, they picked Lord Patel, Baron of Bradford, OBE, Professor fellow in Health.

Nothing quite says the game is shaking its public schoolboy elitist image like hiring a selective school educated member of the order of Chivalry, a member of the aristocracy, and decorated academic. I can see all those working class kids and women scrambling for the pads after that announcement, inspired by change.

I guess you have to laugh.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:12 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Maybe those with influence in the press or in the game are part of this whole problem, and aren't themselves the type of people committed to change.

It looks like Azeem Rafiq's response to Root's comments has attracted headlines, but there's no suggestion Root should step down.

There's two ways of looking at Joe's position: Root was one of those who wasn't abusive even in a culture of racism; Root did nothing to oppose a culture of racism.

There may be more context than this, but Root needs to provide it. As things stand, he is a member of England's management structure. Doing nothing is not acceptable. He should step down as captain.

But as we've seen in the past (KP), the press is quite happy to promote the impression of English cricket that best serves the ECB and it's idea of the positive promotion of the sport.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:40 pm

sussexpob wrote:One thing I did find highly amusing is, in Yorkshire's search for someone more representative to restore trust in crickets integrity, equality and reputation, they picked Lord Patel, Baron of Bradford, OBE, Professor fellow in Health.

Nothing quite says the game is shaking its public schoolboy elitist image like hiring a selective school educated member of the order of Chivalry, a member of the aristocracy, and decorated academic. I can see all those working class kids and women scrambling for the pads after that announcement, inspired by change.

I guess you have to laugh.

harsh

from what I've read he seems a perfectly worthy person, held in generally high regard

I was grammar school educated too..... lots of people were back then. I'd like to think I'm fairly representative of something rather ordinary and non-elitist.... as is my postman who has been honoured for his service to the community.

Patel has become the head of a high profile organisation in a period of extreme crisis and it's going to take very careful management to achieve some form of reasonable conclusion that consigns this whole sorry episode to history where it belongs. I imagine that the person tasked with doing this almost certainly should have some political and board level experience to better achieve this.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:46 pm

not that I know a lot about him, you understand, he might be a thoroughly rotten egg for all I know, but his appointment does seem to have been fairly universally welcomed and he does appear to have the right attributes for the job
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:59 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
Maybe those with influence in the press or in the game are part of this whole problem, and aren't themselves the type of people committed to change.

It looks like Azeem Rafiq's response to Root's comments has attracted headlines, but there's no suggestion Root should step down.

There's two ways of looking at Joe's position: Root was one of those who wasn't abusive even in a culture of racism; Root did nothing to oppose a culture of racism.

There may be more context than this, but Root needs to provide it. As things stand, he is a member of England's management structure. Doing nothing is not acceptable. He should step down as captain.

But as we've seen in the past (KP), the press is quite happy to promote the impression of English cricket that best serves the ECB and it's idea of the positive promotion of the sport.

Press seems to be backing Joe Root, at least at the moment. Rafiq has said he is a good person and didn't engage in racism, so saying he should step down seems a bit far to me. Joe wasn't captain when many of these incidents occurred - he was a pretty junior player at Yorkshire just making his England debut. But I agree he needs to clarify what happened.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/59308771
Agree with AC though that there are many ways of looking at this. Consider the BBC Article "The last time the England Test side handed a debut to a British-born black man was in 2010.". True, but rather cherry picked to fit a narrative. You could equally well say that England's recent T20 squad had four non-white players out of a squad of 18, which is a slightly higher proportion than the overall population of England. Both true, both inviting a very different inferences about the English side.

The truth lies in the dressing room and the selectors' panel. They need to speak out.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket