Yorkshire, Azeem Rafiq and racism

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:02 pm

I liked MPV as a player and as a captain and I appreciated the depth of his knowledge and understanding of the game which I used to find insightful. That appreciation diminished over time as his very obvious player biases came to overwhelm his insight, and this steadily worsened as his political views and penchant for a product placement opportunity came to the fore. I do not think that he is overtly racist, but a big part of me thinks that he is getting a well deserved comeuppance
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:07 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:I liked MPV as a player and as a captain and I appreciated the depth of his knowledge and understanding of the game which I used to find insightful. That appreciation diminished over time as his very obvious player biases came to overwhelm his insight, and this steadily worsened as his political views and penchant for a product placement opportunity came to the fore. I do not think that he is overtly racist, but a big part of me thinks that he is getting a well deserved comeuppance

Couldn't have put it better.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby sussexpob » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:15 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:The impression I get from Vaughan (remember his comments on Trump) is that once he leaves the stadium he isn't all that bright. Though that's no excuse, it may be a factor.

Maybe its because I watch a lot of NFL related coverage from the US, but Vaughan is clearly taking his punditry persona and model from the likes of Skip Bayless, Colin Cowherd, Steven A Smith and the likes. These are guys that dominate American sports coverages mostly on the basis of saying ridiculously contentious things, and they are all playing the role to make names for themselves.

I dont think Vaughan is stupid, quite the opposite; he's found himself a purposeful niche. It seems to purposeful and calculated to be just stupidity. Sadly thats the way of the world now - people are more likely to watch a video of someone saying something unusual than tune in for great commentary on the game.

Idiocy = hits.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:21 pm

Andrew Gale has been suspended pending further investigation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59227909

That nice Mr Gale? Surely not! :o

;)
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:57 pm

Another resignation at Yorks (though the Chief Exec took the opportunity to say everyone at Yorks was wonderful!)

Last few days have been like the closing montage of a Hollywood civil rights film, with all the guity suits heading for the exits.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:59 pm

I'm a bit confused.... have Yorks lost all their international matches, or was that just a threat to get them to sack some people?
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Re: Yorkshire, Azeem Rafiq and racism

Postby mikesiva » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:35 pm

This story is so big now, I think it deserves its own thread....

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/york ... nt-1287948

Adil Rashid has confirmed he heard Michael Vaughan question the number of players of Asian heritage in the Yorkshire side during an incident in 2009.

In a statement released to ESPNcricinfo Rashid not only confirmed Azeem Rafiq's recollections of the incident, but pledged to participate in any official investigation aimed at stamping out what he called the "cancer" of racism.

Vaughan, the former Yorkshire and England captain, revealed earlier this month that his name appeared in the Yorkshire report into Rafiq's allegations of racism at the club. Vaughan admitted that Rafiq alleged he had noted the inclusion of four players of Asian heritage in the Yorkshire side playing at Trent Bridge and responded: "There are too many of you lot; we need to do something about it."
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:38 pm

Problem with recollections of something MPV may have said a dozen years ago is there is no hard evidence. A tweet or a newspaper article or a taped interview can be recovered. Human memory is too flawed to be definitive, especially over such a long period. It's not impossible that one of the Asian heritage players told the others that Vaughan said this and they all remember it like they all heard it. It doesn't look good, but there is too much doubt. It's too long ago.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:04 pm

I wonder how this story leaves Joe Root. Root had the opportunity for nearly two years to confront this issue when the revelations first came out, and so far he has only managed to muster a load of cliche nonsense, while dodging any specific condemnations or acknowledging any specific involvement - and it seems according to Rafiq, that he is involved in this, not directly by doing anything remotely racist, but as a witness who has had the platform to speak out about it for the best part of a decade.

Rafiq claims that he went on numerous nights out with Root where he was racial abused in his presence. Root also shared a flat with Gary Ballance, and in the past the two have taken about their bromance and domestic bliss living together. Is Root really going to tell me Ballance was routinely racially abusing people all the time, but he personally never heard it despite living in Ballance's pocket and growing up together? Especially when Rafiq is specifically saying this is untrue.

Joe has made a habit of dodging anything remotely difficult in his tenure as England captain, always hiding behind the answer that such questions are above his pay grade; well, you are the best paid person in the history of the ECBs payroll, so pull the other one you spineless prat.

If the England captain cant speak out and start throwing people under the bus for justice in this instance, then the ECB can give up trying to win hearts and minds. The time for talk and action has long passed for Root, if he was serious while tweeting about his vision for equality and the ending of racism, then he has the perfect platform to start doing something about it. But then again, his statement had the insensitivity to bang on about the Ashes - which probably shows you were the priorities lie. Just wait for the storm to pass, and get back to selling tickets like nothing happened. Well no, actually - while the storm rages, say its rather windy, then get back to selling tickets.

I wont be supporting an England team lead by this gutless wonder. Staying silent enables this sort of thing..... its time to grow some balls, Joe.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:25 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Human memory is too flawed to be definitive, especially over such a long period. It's not impossible that one of the Asian heritage players told the others that Vaughan said this and they all remember it like they all heard it. It doesn't look good, but there is too much doubt. It's too long ago.

I dont want to paint myself as a victim in anyway, but there are occasions in my life spending so much time abroad that people have made comments on any number of things - accent, language mistakes, negative stereotypes, etc.

Its hard to forget the ones that hurt you.

Of course, context is important and minute changes in how people remember things might change the exact meaning of words, but I cant see how this is the case here. Rafiq and two other Asian players seem to remember enough to know a racist comment was made, and at least one has demonstrated why that was damaging to them.

Trying to force victims of racial abuse to remember exact statements, to me (and Im not saying you are doing this AC, I trust your compass on this is pointed the right way) is just a platform to attack them.

I mean, I am as blameworthy as anyone in the past for doing that. I defend myself mostly on the basis that I had more faith in humanity back then, but over the years I realise that was a mistake. Rafiq seems to have told the truth in a number of these allegations, so I cant see why he would have made that up. Everything he has said so far thats come out has on some level been corroborated by someone else or proven enough to be accepted as fact, so I cant see why this is different.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:11 pm

Azeem has said Joe Root hasn't made any racist remarks and describes him as a good person.

I'm probably giving the impression that I'm trying to undermine these complaints, but I hope I'm not. People should apologise, people should change, and reparations offered. It becomes a matter of finding a better way, rather than just junking people. Which may end up entrenching racism.

I think Azeem himself has been very measured in what he's said.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:45 pm

Maybe that's for the future. Maybe now is the time for shock and disappointment.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:44 pm

Maurice Chambers talks about his experiences at Essex, and he has made a racist allegation against a former teammate at Northants

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/cou ... icket.html

the net widens

I wonder how far this will spread? Will any county come out of this looking clean? It's easy to see allegations surfacing at most, if not every county
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby sussexpob » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:17 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Azeem has said Joe Root hasn't made any racist remarks and describes him as a good person

He also said Root's denial of witnessing any racism at Yorkshire was deeply upsetting, and has since added that Root was present a number of times it happened to him. So one of them is lying, and considering the person responsible for making the comments has apologized and acknowledged making them, it would make no sense for Rafiq to lie.

I totally understand a young player like Root, tipped for International cricket from a young age and just making his mark on the game, not speaking out about such things at the time. Sport is a brutal world, and it take a brave man to potentially throw that all away making a stand for someone else. But Root is no longer a kid, he's the most influential and powerful cricketer in the English game, and has no excuses given his position and platform for refusing to acknowledge these problems.

Others can disagree, but that to me makes his position totally untenable as national team captain. The ECB have had a number of issues with racism and were already in crisis earlier in the summer; how can anyone take the ECB seriously on fixing the problem of racism in the game if their own figurehead refuses to acknowledge he has witnessed it when there is absolutely no question now it occurred?

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:33 pm

I know Azeem stated he was dismayed by Root saying he hadn't witnessed any racism, but I hadn't figured that meant he was just watching while it happened. If that's the case then fair enough, it's not much different from taking part. It'll be good to hear Root's response to this, assuming the ECB allow him to speak freely.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket