Down by the Riverside 2019

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby captaincolly » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:21 pm

westoelad wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
The Professor wrote:https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/features/paul_coughlin_durham_nottinghamshire_cricket_county_mental_health_injury.html

What do you guys make of this?

That's an extraordinarily candid interview, sounds as if he is going through an existential crisis!

Indeed- makes me feel a little guilty about the cynical attitude I had towards his fitness record. Let's hope he can manage a lengthy injury free period when we can judge his true potential. He's now 27 year old and should be at his peak.

I agree. Sounds as if it has been a traumatic time for him so hopefully better times to come.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 29048
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:35 pm

feeling homesick is a mental health issue?

I suppose in this day and age it probably is
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 45095
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby westoelad » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:29 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:feeling homesick is a mental health issue?

I suppose in this day and age it probably is

That's not the way I interpreted the issue. I can understand that suffering one injury after another can trigger depression which is certainly a mental health issue. In such circumstances I can appreciate that being surrounded and supported by your family is essential to overcome the issue.
westoelad
 
Posts: 6898
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby westoelad » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Another indicator that the club are not strengthening from outside for next season.
Whilst some of the youngsters e.g.Bell, Jones have undoubted promise they showed last season they weren't yet anywhere near 1st team standard.
e.g. https://sportsbyte.sunderland.ac.uk/201 ... i-in-2020/
At look at the staff listing on the website reveals that are 21 full-time admin. executives yet only 18 full-time senior players. Expressions about chiefs and Indians spring to mind.
westoelad
 
Posts: 6898
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby captaincolly » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:01 pm

westoelad wrote:Another indicator that the club are not strengthening from outside for next season.
Whilst some of the youngsters e.g.Bell, Jones have undoubted promise they showed last season they weren't yet anywhere near 1st team standard.
e.g. https://sportsbyte.sunderland.ac.uk/201 ... i-in-2020/
At look at the staff listing on the website reveals that are 21 full-time admin. executives yet only 18 full-time senior players. Expressions about chiefs and Indians spring to mind.

Yep! Seems obvious that experienced players with proven records are required but no sign whatsoever that they're trying to bring them in.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 29048
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby KingOttis » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:55 pm

captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:Another indicator that the club are not strengthening from outside for next season.
Whilst some of the youngsters e.g.Bell, Jones have undoubted promise they showed last season they weren't yet anywhere near 1st team standard.
e.g. https://sportsbyte.sunderland.ac.uk/201 ... i-in-2020/
At look at the staff listing on the website reveals that are 21 full-time admin. executives yet only 18 full-time senior players. Expressions about chiefs and Indians spring to mind.

Yep! Seems obvious that experienced players with proven records are required but no sign whatsoever that they're trying to bring them in.


I can't believe that they won't bring in at least one new batsman. It beggars belief to suppose that last season's top six can score enough runs to regularly win matches. Bancroft and Lees aside, (who will presumably open), where will the middle order runs come from? If they have the money to bring back Coughlin (decent player when fit, but in a position we don't need to strengthen) and award a new contract to Poynter, then surely they must have budgeted for a middle order batsman - a position where we are screaming out for some quality and consistency? If not, it is negligence which will cost us next season. It doesn't matter how good your bowling attack is, regularly subsiding to scores of under 200 in your first innings won't win enough games to win promotion.
KingOttis
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:33 am
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC and Newcastle United.

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby captaincolly » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:44 am

KingOttis wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
westoelad wrote:Another indicator that the club are not strengthening from outside for next season.
Whilst some of the youngsters e.g.Bell, Jones have undoubted promise they showed last season they weren't yet anywhere near 1st team standard.
e.g. https://sportsbyte.sunderland.ac.uk/201 ... i-in-2020/
At look at the staff listing on the website reveals that are 21 full-time admin. executives yet only 18 full-time senior players. Expressions about chiefs and Indians spring to mind.

Yep! Seems obvious that experienced players with proven records are required but no sign whatsoever that they're trying to bring them in.


I can't believe that they won't bring in at least one new batsman. It beggars belief to suppose that last season's top six can score enough runs to regularly win matches. Bancroft and Lees aside, (who will presumably open), where will the middle order runs come from? If they have the money to bring back Coughlin (decent player when fit, but in a position we don't need to strengthen) and award a new contract to Poynter, then surely they must have budgeted for a middle order batsman - a position where we are screaming out for some quality and consistency? If not, it is negligence which will cost us next season. It doesn't matter how good your bowling attack is, regularly subsiding to scores of under 200 in your first innings won't win enough games to win promotion.

Couldn't agree more. Bancroft, Lees and Eckersley inspire confidence but the rest of the lineup does not.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 29048
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:28 am

I note that Buble is coming to the Riverside next August. That ought to make a few bob
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 45095
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby captaincolly » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:43 am

Durhamfootman wrote:I note that Buble is coming to the Riverside next August. That ought to make a few bob

Can he bat at number 3?!
captaincolly
 
Posts: 29048
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby westoelad » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:59 pm

Can't be easy though to attract experienced batsman to the early season minefield of the Riverside.
westoelad
 
Posts: 6898
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby captaincolly » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:46 pm

westoelad wrote:Can't be easy though to attract experienced batsman to the early season minefield of the Riverside.

Yep. That's a big problem. Batting around the country is tough enough thanks to the scheduling but especially tricky at the Riverside.
captaincolly
 
Posts: 29048
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:09 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:I note that Buble is coming to the Riverside next August. That ought to make a few bob

Can he bat at number 3?!

we can only hope, although by the first of August there will be no cricket for a month, yet still 6 matches to play
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 45095
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby captaincolly » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:16 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:I note that Buble is coming to the Riverside next August. That ought to make a few bob

Can he bat at number 3?!

we can only hope, although by the first of August there will be no cricket for a month, yet still 6 matches to play

:lmao
captaincolly
 
Posts: 29048
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby westoelad » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Nice tribute from Stu Rayner -hopefully he's freelancing for the chronicle. Thinking of forwarding it to FTECB fao Mr
C Graves.
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/c ... y-16584140
westoelad
 
Posts: 6898
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Down by the Riverside 2019

Postby westoelad » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:12 pm

Carse in Lions 1 day squad to play Aussies in New year.

England Lions 50-over squad: Tom Abell (Somerset), Dom Bess (Somerset), James Bracey (Gloucestershire), Henry Brookes (Warwickshire), Brydon Carse (Durham), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Laurie Evans (Sussex), Richard Gleeson (Lancashire), Lewis Gregory (Somerset), Sam Hain (Warwickshire), Will Jacks (Surrey), Tom Kohler-Cadmore (Yorkshire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Matt Milnes (Kent), Tom Moores (Nottinghamshire), Craig Overton (Somerset)
westoelad
 
Posts: 6898
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests