2016 Hampshire Thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: 2016 Hampshire Thread

Postby Hampshire » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:06 am

From the sounds of Sammys interview with Solent after the game he doesn't seem to be that bad and thinks he'll be good for tomorrow. Carberry was an odd one as he didn't seem to be in any notable distress before or whilst leaving the field so not sure how serious it is.
Hampshire

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire
England

Postby Hampshire » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:14 am

And if Carberry is fit someone please tell him to give up on the scoop, you'd have thought missing 4/4 would be a bit of a sign :D.
Hampshire

England

Postby st_brendy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:25 am

Hampshire wrote:And if Carberry is fit someone please tell him to give up on the scoop, you'd have thought missing 4/4 would be a bit of a sign :D.

Yeah, I didn't understand what he was doing the first time he attempted it. Carberry is possibly the closest thing to Chris Gayle there is domestically (but by no means am I saying that he is anywhere near as good as Gayle). A big, powerful opening batsman, who just stands there and smashes the ball in his arc. You don't see Gayle trying to be Jos Buttler or ABDV, with a reverse here and a ramp there. Just stick to what you know Carbs, and let the likes of Wheater and Dawson play the fancy, modern, 360 degrees stuff.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:27 am

As for Sammy, well I hope he is right. But I really struggle to believe it. Given it was his hamstring, I'd have said he was more likely to miss the rest of the group stage for us, than be fit for tonight.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby mark the hawk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:40 am

Darren Sammy was an odd one to be honest , we were pretty certain from where we all sit that it was probably cramp rather than a pull seeing that he tried to run it off , imo if it was a pull he'd have gone off straight away , but an over from Tino when he took over :salute :salute :salute

odd evening all round tbf , I though about 160 would be decent but with 158 I thought we were about 10 light

with 10 overs gone there was only one side that could possibly win

whilst Sammy and Afridi have got all of the plaudits for their bowling exploits their batting both had a major influence as well

does anyone reckon that one of these two will play on sunday asb our oversea's player ?
mark the hawk

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire, Havant and Waterlooville.
follower of Southampton and Hibernian.

Postby st_brendy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:52 pm

Three games, three poor batting performances. Didn't sound like Sammy was running well at all, with maybe explains batting down at 9. But if that is the case, why on earth did we pass him fit and select him? I'm guessing we'll soon find out.

Need someone to repeat Wood's 4-for-very-little here last season, when we defended a similar score. But yet again, massively light with the bat.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:45 am

Blimey, some dreadful bowling figures from our WI players.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:59 am

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Blimey, some dreadful bowling figures from our WI players.

Sammy didn't sound like he was anywhere near fit enough to bat, bowl or field. Stupid decision to play him, given how little we were able to utilise him.

But as for Best, we really do need to play him in four day cricket only. Far, far too expensive. He's bowled 10 overs now in t20 for us, and 8 of them have been awful (and one of those other two was only against Kent's tail). Smith was still in the squad last night, so presumably had recovered from the sickness bug. Why on earth he was not recalled in place of Best (ie back to the XI that we had intended to play on Thursday night), I don't know - and it looks even worse after the event, given how economical Dawson and Afridi were, compared to the seamers (and not that batting at 10 or 11 should matter, but we'd have probably batted those last 9 balls too if Smith was playing ahead of Best - another 20 runs from those 9 balls would have given us something to defend).

But credit again to the management. They saw how expensive Best was against Middlesex in the t20 and duly dropped him (or at least intended to). And now again, he isn't in the squad for tomorrow's opening one-day game. Wheal and Stevenson are both in the 13 man squad, fighting out for one position between them I would suggest (with, I suspect/hope, Smith and Crane replacing Afridi and Sammy, and McManus and Alsop fighting it out to be Vince's replacement).
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Hampshire » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:22 pm

Anyone listening to solent/at the ground? Alsop's just retired hurt, any news?
Hampshire

England

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Hampshire wrote:Anyone listening to solent/at the ground? Alsop's just retired hurt, any news?

Feeling " unwell " according to the Hampshire Twitter account.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby st_brendy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:38 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Hampshire wrote:Anyone listening to solent/at the ground? Alsop's just retired hurt, any news?

Feeling " unwell " according to the Hampshire Twitter account.

Yep. He missed the Middlesex four day game during the week with flu. This baking hot weather today clearly hasn't helped him.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:29 pm

Only the second time this season, after Yorkshire, that I can say well batted to us.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:08 pm

48 needed from 5. Whilst these two are at the crease, Essex are favourites. But they have nothing to come after.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:56 pm

No Tino today. Narrow defeat.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:02 pm

In the back of my mind I keep thinking that any score around 300 makes the team massive favourites but I keep forgetting that bigger scores are fairly regularly chased down these days. That's what it feels like anyway.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket