2014 Hampshire Thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: 2014 Hampshire Thread

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Just seen this new thread and the mention of us signing Joe Gatting. I can honestly say that three years ago he was one of the worst players in County cricket. I'm hoping he's improved in the last few years otherwise for me it is a negative signing.

As for being cover for Carberry in case he is with the England set up, its a hard one to call. It totally depends on the way England want to go after the Ashes debacle. He didn't do too badly in comparison to the rest of the batting dross but i never thought he looked comfortable in the test arena as he struggles to play an innings of defending the good balls and hitting the bad balls at the best of times but in the international arena its even tougher. Surely his best chance at this level is in the 50 over game where he can have license to go in and hit pretty much everything. In terms of him keeping his position in the summer I guess its a case of who else is there around but with age against him and England probably starting from square one again he may get axed. Sadly he will always be associated with this diabolical tour and it may be for this that ends his test career.

As for AFC Bournemouth Century, going to get a ticket for the Liverpool game if it comes around? I guess there will be some sort of previous game ticket stub requirement but we have to get past Burton first which I reckon will be alot tougher than alot of people think.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Centuryclub » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:26 pm

I was at the Ipswich game which was tough enough to get a ticket for so Liverpool (if it happens) will probably defeat me!
As you say, Burton will be a tough nut to crack & the last time we nearly played Liverpool in the Cup (2005?), Liverpool conspired to lose at home with an own goal I recall. B'mth then lost to their conquerors, Burnley, whose manager Steve Cotterill, then signed various B'mth players such as Wade Elliott after the end of the season.

Regarding, KP, Piers Morgan feels he didn't do anything wrong! :?

He also blames Johnson for looking while Brett Lee bowled at Morgan in the nets & Lee was boosted by Johnson's presence to bowl extra fast & Morgan ended up breaking a rib! You couldn't make it up! :hmmm
Centuryclub

Team(s) Supported: Bournemouth (Football)
Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby Centuryclub » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:41 am

The KP issue has (again!) hit the fan. Although Flower denies it, there is a lot of column inches about an alleged ulimatum that Flower is supposed to have given the ECB: "KP or me".
Piers Morgan, Warne, Botham & Vaughan (almost KP's biggest fan after Morgan) are no doubt writing their defences of KP this very minute!
Centuryclub

Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:50 pm

Centuryclub wrote:The KP issue has (again!) hit the fan. Although Flower denies it, there is a lot of column inches about an alleged ulimatum tthatower is supreckon have given the ECB: "KP or me".
Piers Morgan, Warne, Botham & Vaughan (almost KP's biggest fan after Morgan) are no doubt writing their defences of KP this very minute!

I heard that yesterday and I guess no smoke without fire.
All I can say is goodbye Pietersen you're a destructive influence in every dressing room you've ever been in. Mind you it will probably be Flower that goes as i reckon he is pretty fed up with things starting when he got rid of the stewardship of the one day set up.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Centuryclub » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:06 pm

BMB - Liverpool game will be live on ITV - Sat lunchtime ko. Let's hope that B'mth are the opposition!
Agree with what you've said about KP - but he really divides opinion.
Centuryclub

Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:07 pm

Centuryclub wrote:BMB - Liverpool game will be live on ITV - Sat lunchtime ko. Let's hope that B'mth aryou're neither for or against Century? opposition!
Agree with what you've said about KP - but he really divides opinion.

Yes I saw that, I always knew it was going to be at an odd time. To be honest its doubtful I'll go as I normally take the kids swimming Saturday mornings and I won't have time enough to get to the game. Could get the wife to fill my shoes but I be reminded for the next month of failing in my parental duties. Besides its on the telly and I missed the Brighton game for the same reason. Have been to most of the league games this season but missed the Ipswich game that you went to. Got tickets for Watford on the 18th.

With regard to Pietersen ive always been strongly in the anti camp since before he signed for us. I guess you're neither for or against Century?
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Centuryclub » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:33 am

BMB - I'm pretty much in the anti-camp - a member told me that he behaves in the dressing room in the way that Botham did in his latter years at Somerset - after Brian Close had retired. Allegedly, Botham, Richards & Garner had their own private kitman/gofer - so much for team unity!
I've seen KP play brilliant innings on TV & at Southampton - no doubting his ability but whereas Bell & Cook just weren't good enough in Australia, KP didn't seem to give the impression that he even cared - apart from 1 (or 2?) innings where he played with exaggerated care but still blew it in the end!
People like Piers Morgan like to be associated with him & he actually appears to be a much nicer guy than Botham - however, he seems to always mess up when things are going well.
He doesn't like travelling with team''mates' & before a Hampshire Final he wanted to meet the team at the ground rather than travel with them. I remember Warne was unhappy when as Hants captain, KP declined the chance to play some county cricket & he went off with Simon Jones on a Caribbean holiday instead! Warne seems to have quickly forgiven him but Boycott who once seemed close to KP but isn't into the celebrity circus has really laid into him about his approach. KP - THE MARMITE CRICKETER!
Centuryclub

Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby SaintPowelly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:58 am

Tom Burrows, the ex-Hants ( current at the time ) WK came to a local cricket club too me ( normally Shaun Udal appeared ) and said that no-one in the Hants dressing room liked him, he showed no respect too anyone and wanted to be treated above everyone else, probably why he didn't play much.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby Centuryclub » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:16 pm

An elderly colleague when I first started working knew through her son a young guy on Hampshire's staff (Michael Hill?) about 40 years ago. When she found I followed Hants, she told me that this guy (who for a while shared a house with Barry Richards) said that Barry Richards was in ability and life-style completely in a different sphere than the rest of the Hampshire squad. Richards was a very likeable guy but mavericks and highly skilled people are just so different that they don't always appreciate how they appear to others.
Botham just didn't care; KP appears to want to fit in but it just doesn't seem to happen!
Centuryclub

Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby SaintPowelly » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Kyle Abbott has been announced as our overseas for the entire 2014 season, for anyone unaware of him, he played 1 test for South Africa against Pakistan last year and took 7-29 in the 2nd innings, and ended with match figures of 9- 68. He has taken 165 FC wickets at an average of 21.92. I haven't been this excited about a signing since Shane Bond.
SaintPowelly

Postby Hampshire » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Very interesting signing, haven't heard much else about him so will be very interesting to watch. Am I right in hearing he will miss our opening game of CC?
Hampshire

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire
England

Postby andy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:17 pm

very good bowler, and perhaps very unlucky that SA have a such an array of very good fast bowlers.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby SaintPowelly » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:24 am

I haven't heard he will miss 1st game, not a big problem if true, its the post T20 fixtures he will be most useful.
SaintPowelly

Postby SaintPowelly » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Just read that Abbott will miss the 1st LVCC game due to the SA domestic season still being played, it appears South Africa have no fixtures after the T20 World Cup, so shouldn't be losing him to international duty.
SaintPowelly

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:26 pm

in case you boys aren't aware of this yet, Benks has become your head coach
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL