Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby sussexpob » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:39 pm

GarlicJam wrote:Sometime Australia opener Marcus Harris, and "hot young prospect" Will Pucovski have broken the all-time record partnership in the Sheffield Shield on the weekend.

Not just a partnership of 486 - to break the Waugh Twins' 464* previous record set 30 years ago - but an opening partnership. The bloke on the radio was saying, around the time the partnership started, how South Aus have been unable to bowl any team out so far this season, but I am sure that he wasn't expecting this...

Wonder if Justin Langer sent him a nice text message again.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:01 am

what's that in reference to, Sussex?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby sussexpob » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:32 pm

GarlicJam wrote:what's that in reference to, Sussex?

Judging this purely on my own interpretation (and not fact), I get the feeling Marcus Harris was Justin Langer's prodigy project at Western Australia back in 2012 when he first went there to coach. The two apparently go back a long way to when Harris was a little child playing at Langer's local club so knew each other for years. Harris never made the grade at Western Australia subject to large expectations, and decided to leave for a fresh start, and that seemed to put Langer's nose out of joint who seemed to take it personally. Langer ended up give Harris a parting shot when he found out about his departure, calling into question his performances quite brutally, and labelling Harris "mediocre". I guess some might say its a situation of a frustrated mentor trying to get some fire in his master pupil to prove him wrong, but the comments did seem to cut close to the bone.

Either way, Harris ended up having some monster year in Melbourne, got picked for the national team, and Langer was left having to explain away the selectors picking someone he had once disregarded as mediocre. Around the same time, the press got hold of the fact Langer had sent Harris a text message welcoming him to international cricket, but calling him a "little b*stard".

Langer then brushed it off saying he "loved him" and that he was like " a little brother".... so maybe the choice of words in the context is between two people who are extremely close and was meant with some warmth. But the whole history between them is more than a little bizarre. Its hard to know if Langer and him get on really well, or whether they have fallen out.

If Langer and him are still close, then innings like this might give Harris a path back to the side. If they have fallen out, I guess his career is over regardless of what he does.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:10 pm

Does Marcus Harris have a UK passport :halo:
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby sussexpob » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:56 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:Does Marcus Harris have a UK passport :halo:

I doubt it, as I would have expected him to have already come over to county cricket at some stage if he had.

sussexpob

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:41 pm

ah yes, I remember these incidents now, Sussex.

At the time, I put that down to the gruff male bond/friendship that happens in a lot of places, and is quite prevalent in Australia. As you say, Harris grew up knowing Langer well, and being mentored by him. I'd like to think that Langer is a better person than to allow his ego to interfere this much with the national team, even if there is a rift between the two.

I see Harris as a bit of an "almost man". In another time, he would not have had much of a look-in in the national team, as Aus have generally not struggled to find solid openers.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby westoelad » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:09 pm

Luke Wells signed 2 year contract with Lancs.
westoelad

Postby sussexpob » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:14 pm

GarlicJam wrote:At the time, I put that down to the gruff male bond/friendship that happens in a lot of places, and is quite prevalent in Australia. As you say, Harris grew up knowing Langer well, and being mentored by him. I'd like to think that Langer is a better person than to allow his ego to interfere this much with the national team, even if there is a rift between the two

I have a feeling Langer is a difficult man to get on with, but he is such a personality enigma its impossible to understand him at times. He talks about beautiful films hes watched and his love of zen moments at sunrise doing tai chi, while at the same time looking like he is permanently one comment away from undertaking a mass killing rampage.

I cant imagine what its like to play for him. A man that talks about "mateship" being a quality he values, while seemingly impenetrable on a personal leel.

sussexpob

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:09 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55059732

do we know what these 5 breaches of discipline were?
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby The Professor » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:06 pm

CSA Interim Board and Members' Council endorse new domestic cricket structure

http://cricket.co.za/news/37124/CSA-Int ... -structure

Effectively adopting the County Championship structure.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:28 pm

The Professor wrote:CSA Interim Board and Members' Council endorse new domestic cricket structure

without bothering with the hundredth nonsense
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:58 am

The Professor wrote:CSA Interim Board and Members' Council endorse new domestic cricket structure

Something advocated by South African pundits 12 months ago, makes sense when South Africa has two first class systems.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby captaincolly » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:09 pm

Graham Onions appointed as Lancashire's bowling coach.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby sussexpob » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:07 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:Something advocated by South African pundits 12 months ago, makes sense when South Africa has two first class systems.

What is the intended benefit? I would usually say diluting quality and resources is never a good idea, but SA is a pretty special case. I wonder if this is an attempt to get around racial quotas by making sure FC worthy players arent blocked under quota systems lower down, leading to FC worthy players bleeding out the system. At least this way those players spread to other teams... but then again if quotas exist still, you have to think at the lower end of these 15 teams the quality might get tragic

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:07 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:Something advocated by South African pundits 12 months ago, makes sense when South Africa has two first class systems.

What is the intended benefit? I would usually say diluting quality and resources is never a good idea, but SA is a pretty special case. I wonder if this is an attempt to get around racial quotas by making sure FC worthy players arent blocked under quota systems lower down, leading to FC worthy players bleeding out the system. At least this way those players spread to other teams... but then again if quotas exist still, you have to think at the lower end of these 15 teams the quality might get tragic

A prime example I guess would be someone like KP. Couldnt get a team in SA on racial quota selections with 6 teams, but in a 15 team setup he'd hit a 7th/8th team line up on merit and get his opportunity.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket