Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Random Cricket Thread (Domestic Cricket)

Postby westoelad » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:29 pm

sussexpob wrote:In fact, I find it very sad that someone would question Zaidi's status as a British National, or as a domestic player.

After playing Sunday League cricket for 13 years trying his damn hardest to win a deal and scrape a living, I think there are few players who deserved a contract more than him. His journey to Sussex is a wonderful story, and should be celebrated.

Not torn apart by some jumped up t*sser from Somerset.

So"f. off back to your own country" is undoubtedly racist but being " a tosser from Somerset " is perfectly acceptable?
westoelad

Postby westoelad » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:40 am

Ross Taylor signing for Sussex for 1st half of 2016 season according to cricbuzz.Possible because Magoffin can now claim UK citizenship.
Must make Sussex clear favourites for promotion.
westoelad

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:32 pm

westoelad wrote:Ross Taylor signing for Sussex for 1st half of 2016 season according to cricbuzz.Possible because Magoffin can now claim UK citizenship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/35135460

An excellent coup, barring an injury crisis promotion for Sussex should be a formality.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby sussexpob » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:35 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:
An excellent coup, barring an injury crisis promotion for Sussex should be a formality.

If our injuries are like last year, we will be finishing last
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby westoelad » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:06 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:
westoelad wrote:Ross Taylor signing for Sussex for 1st half of 2016 season according to cricbuzz.Possible because Magoffin can now claim UK citizenship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/35135460

Magoffin turned 36 the other day though so can't realy be expected to carry the attack as he has for so many years. Ole Robinson looks a realy fine prospect who hopefully has put his wild days behind him but have Sussex the reserves when the injuries strike. Mike Hussey always maintained you needed 8 seamers to see you through a season.
westoelad

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:00 pm

westoelad wrote: Magoffin turned 36 the other day though so can't realy be expected to carry the attack as he has for so many years. Ole Robinson looks a realy fine prospect who hopefully has put his wild days behind him but have Sussex the reserves when the injuries strike. Mike Hussey always maintained you needed 8 seamers to see you through a season.

Not sure any blame can be placed on Sussex for what happened last year. Id like to see how other teams would cope with 9 bowler injuries, which is the extent of Sussex's injury problems at its worst last year (and the cancelling of loan deals at the last minute). In terms of depth, do other teams have 8 good quality seamers to carry an attack through injury? Teams have 8 seamers, but past the 5th and 6th seamer even in top teams, I doubt there is much consistent quality there. In fact, in some teams they would struggle to have a good quality front row attack. Id expect even Yorkshire would be down to their U-19 lads if you took away the first 5 seamers in their team in order to make a side.

Looking at the Sussex line up, 6th seamer would have been James Anyon, 311 wickets for a mid 30's average. 7th seamer Lewis Hatchett with a mid 30's average. 8th Seamer, Hobden with a late 30's average. Can other teams muster up better second level attacks?

Magoffin (who lost steam he bowled himself into the ground), Shehzad, Tymal Mills, Ollie Robinson and Chris Jordan.... a very good front level attack if it stayed fit, and an attack that can still beat lots of teams should you supplement Anyon or Hatchett (or Zaidi as a spnner) for two others injured.

I dont think a case can be made to say that Sussex werent prepared. They also basically lost their best player (Prior) without even hitting a ball.

We got unlucky. I think any team in our position with injuries gets a pounding..... even Yorkshire (especially with their international call ups added to absences).
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby westoelad » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:14 pm

That's why I took a rain check on predicting a Sussex promotion-impossible to predict with injuries a likelihood for any team. Let's just stick to with all things being equal Sussex must be favourites for promotion.
westoelad

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:02 pm

westoelad wrote:That's why I took a rain check on predicting a Sussex promotion-impossible to predict with injuries a likelihood for any team. Let's just stick to with all things being equal Sussex must be favourites for promotion.

Sussex should win Division 2 with matches to still to play, barring another disaster year. The team is too strong at full strength to be beaten by most Div 2 sides.

I expect Luke Wright to have a big year in Div 2. And if Mago has the legs, I doubt many teams will be able to play a bowler of his quality well.

Danny Briggs I think is the biggest signing for Sussex though.... finally, a spin option.

sussexpob

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:11 pm

Sussex's younger seam bowlers are going to benefit from a year of regular cricket in Division 2, they are a good season away from getting their careers up and running. Hobden is a player who looks better than his stats suggest and I reckon his height and pace will trouble many Division 2 batsmen.

Even the squad batsmen of Wells, Machan and Brown are capable of mounting up some runs in Division 2. Very few opponents are going to have the luxury of batting alongside prolific batsmen of Joyce, Wright and Taylor.

Weaker teams have got relegated to Division 2 and gone back up at the first time of asking.
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:17 pm

I have doubts that Joyce has it in him anymore. Legend though he is, he turns 38 next year, and had a poor year in 2015. Also a bit concerned about his captaincy

sussexpob

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:47 pm

sussexpob wrote:I have doubts that Joyce has it in him anymore. Legend though he is, he turns 38 next year, and had a poor year in 2015. Also a bit concerned about his captaincy

I thought the same about Anthony McGrath when Yorkshire got relegated, he was suspect to an early LBW dismissal. The following (and final year) he produced the goods with both bat and ball, being a key part in Yorkshire's instant return to Division One before retiring during the close season.

Alviro Patterson

Postby The Professor » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:32 pm

Seeing the state of some of the domestic grounds up North there are some groundsmen that are going to have to put a bit of a shift in.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby Gingerfinch » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:43 am

2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Aidan11 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:47 am

As Fred Trueman would say - if anyone breaks that record they'd be bloody tired.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:21 pm

I'm pretty cynical about an achievement like this. What was size of the boundaries, what was the bowling like? I bet towards the end of his innings they were serving up dollies. Why did the innings progress that long, clearly not a one day game. Why weren't they in school? Not sure any schools over here allow more than 2 or 3 hours to complete a game.

Mind you public/private school house matches of yesteryear were often over a number of days, and two innings per side, but only played in the afternoon after morning lessons.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket