Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Re: County Championship discussion thread 2015

Postby Aidan11 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:37 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:It's gonna be one hell of a final day.

Sky Sports should rig up two sets for a final day of live action, one at Trent Bridge and the other at Headingley.

They missed a trick not televising the final round. It would have been great TV.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:40 pm

Yes, why did they go for the penultimate game?

I guess the champs against one of the teams fighting for survival, but as you say, missed out on a potentially thrilling relegation finale.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:41 pm

Hope Yorkshire declare overnight, no messing about early doors and wasting overs. Sussex are going to be in block mode for most of the day in any case.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:45 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Yes, why did they go for the penultimate game?

I guess the champs against one of the teams fighting for survival, but as you say, missed out on a potentially thrilling relegation finale.

If the ECB couldnt give a toss about the integrity of county cricket, why should SKY?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Stumps at Trent Bridge, Hants need 111 to win tomorrow with all their wickets intact.

Come on Yorkshire give it a thwack.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Aidan11 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:57 pm

Sussex definitely have the harder job tomorrow.

Not impossible though.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:27 pm

He's gone a little under the radar but Ben Duckett is having a fantastic season with another ton against Surrey.

A touch sad to see Willey not playing in what would be his final game for Northants.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby st_brendy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:12 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Can't call the Yorkshire game. Probably a touch in Sussex's favour.

I wish Yorkshire would get a move on even if it means them being bowled out for 270.

I just want a result either way, especially if Hants win. I can then cope with the fact that playing out a draw in our last game wouldn't have made any difference.

It may not have made any difference any way. Yes it would have forced Sussex into chasing down what Yorkshire's total, rather than flat batting out a draw as you (rightly) fear. But who is to say that Sussex won't/wouldn't chase down that score, if they so desired?

Totally different story if we were talking the difference between Sussex batting out a draw, and Sussex being forced into chase down 500 in one day. But we're not, it's the difference between batting out a draw, and being forced to chase down about 300 in one day. There's not a massive difference between those two things - both very achievable if Sidebottom and co take their foot off the gas tomorrow (and after the season they've had, and with little on the lien for them tomorrow, who could blame them?)
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:12 pm

st_brendy wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Can't call the Yorkshire game. Probably a touch in Sussex's favour.

I wish Yorkshire would get a move on even if it means them being bowled out for 270.

I just want a result either way, especially if Hants win. I can then cope with the fact that playing out a draw in our last game wouldn't have made any difference.

It may not have made any difference any way. Yes it would have forced Sussex into chasing down what Yorkshire's total, rather than flat batting out a draw as you (rightly) fear. But who is to say that Sussex won't/wouldn't chase down that score, if they so desired?

Totally different story if we were talking the difference between Sussex batting out a draw, and Sussex being forced into chase down 500 in one day. But we're not, it's the difference between batting out a draw, and being forced to chase down about 300 in one day. There's not a massive difference between those two things - both very achievable if Sidebottom and co take their foot off the gas tomorrow (and after the season they've had, and with little on the lien for them tomorrow, who could blame them?)

Yorkshire will be going for the win as Gale wants to break records, 11 County Championship wins is another one. Yorkshire's bowling attack should be fresher with the pace bowlers workload being properly managed.

Conditions tomorrow are good for batting, that might give Gale some thought on how long to bat tomorrow but I think 6-8 overs should be enough to add another 30-40 on the board.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby sussexpob » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:14 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:Conditions tomorrow are good for batting, that might give Gale some thought on how long to bat tomorrow but I think 6-8 overs should be enough to add another 30-40 on the board.

Assuming the last wicket can put anything on, its just as likely they get two overs before a wicket goes down. Although Sussex might be tempted to drop a few catches and wait for the declaration.

For Sussex I doubt it makes a difference. Its survive the day not losing ten wickets, more runs doesnt mean more balls.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:52 am

Last day of the domestic season :(
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:59 am

I really hope Yorkshire don't bat on today. As Sussex said the fielders will probably deliberately put catches down to prolong the innings! Can't see that Sussex will be in any other mode than blocking so Yorkshire have got plenty already. It's extremely rare for the fourth innings of a match to provide the highest run total in anycase.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:14 am

budgetmeansbudget wrote:I really hope Yorkshire don't bat on today. As Sussex said the fielders will probably deliberately put catches down to prolong the innings! Can't see that Sussex will be in any other mode than blocking so Yorkshire have got plenty already. It's extremely rare for the fourth innings of a match to provide the highest run total in anycase.

Well, Sussex have often tried to smash their way out trouble this year and failed most of the time. The way I see it, the longer they bat and the more runs on the board, the less likely we see the Sussex 2015 trademark Charge of the Light Brigade style innings that ends with everyone being scraped off the floor.

Our batting when faced with chaseable totals or in reply to low totals, have reacted like the part of the computer game "Lemmings" when you press the auto destruct button on all of them. Id feel more comfortable with Yorskhire having a 700 lead and declaring yesterday at tea, then a chaseable total left this morning to get during the day.

no one has to play any shots, just block block block.....

Of course, if after tea we lose our 3rd wicket, I still expect Brown, Wright and Jordan to come in and play like they are chasing 250 in a T20, but cant expect relegation threat to make those boys play a forward defensive.

sussexpob

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:34 am

Buggeration Yorkshire are batting on.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates