Hampshire 2017 thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: Hampshire 2017 thread

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:28 pm

When's our next CC game?

Have to be pretty happy with our start in terms of points ahead of the relegation zone.

Still in contention for the title! Not sure if we're the real deal yet, but hope mounting injuries and the flat Rosebowl pitch doesn't scupper any chances we may have had.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:07 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:When's our next CC game?

Have to be pretty happy with our start in terms of points ahead of the relegation zone.

Still in contention for the title! Not sure if we're the real deal yet, but hope mounting injuries and the flat Rosebowl pitch doesn't scupper any chances we may have had.

Not until May 19th, when we have a block of six games consisting of Essex (a), Somerset (a), Warks (h), Lancs (a), Somerset (h), Surrey (a). That takes us right through until early July.

In the three weeks before then, we've got our eight one-day games. Hopefully Rilee recovers asap, because otherwise he'll miss all of them. And on paper, it's one-day cricket that he should excel in the most. Bailey will miss the first one (on Thursday), but will be available for the second one onwards. I imagine that gives Jimmy a reprieve (when Bailey and Rilee are available, I can't see how Jimmy gets into our white-ball team). Indeed, the only change I can see is Wood for Wheal (injury). Maybe Crane or Stevenson for Topley (fitness issues), Abbott (rest) or Berg (rest) too.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Very solid start to the season. Relatively strong Kent aside (just missing Billings I think), and we comfortably beat them despite no Rilee, Bailey, Abbott or Berg, and losing Wood mid-bowling.

Alsop is special in one-day cricket.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:50 pm

Excellent result today.

Pulled the Kent innings back well after they made a good start, then comfortably chased down the runs.

Just not used to Hants starting the season this well, hope they can keep it going.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:35 pm

Slightly strange make-up of tomorrow's 13 man squad. No bowling cover, but two extra batters? Anyway, Bailey, Abbott and Berg into the XI for Jimmy, Wood and Holland.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby SaintPowelly » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:25 am

Harsh on Holland, would have given Abbott/Berg another game or 2 off
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:14 pm

Blimey our reply has picked up pace in the last 15 overs, put on around 125 runs for the loss of one wicket.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:17 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Blimey our reply has picked up pace in the last 15 overs, put on around 125 runs for the loss of one wicket.

Kiss of death, two wickets gone for sod all.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:24 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:Blimey our reply has picked up pace in the last 15 overs, put on around 125 runs for the loss of one wicket.

Kiss of death, two wickets gone for sod all.

Sounds like a very debatable run-out of Dawson. Just as Westley not being given run-out right at the start of his innings sounded very debatable too. Same umpire both times, I believe.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:40 pm

Solent have received a still photo of Dawson being in.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon May 01, 2017 12:09 pm

As an umpire without DRS you have to be erring on the batsman's side surely, especially with a run out.

Haven't had the rub of the decisions this season so far.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Tue May 02, 2017 6:47 pm

Somerset now have 3 wins out of 3, whilst Essex have 2 wins out of 2.

Even at this early stage, a top two finish could be beyond us if we lose tomorrow. And that would leave just 3rd spot to fight it out for along with a number of others.

On the flip side, if we were to win and then Essex maintain their 100% record on Thursday, the three of us would be starting to pull away from the rest.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby andy » Tue May 02, 2017 7:06 pm

Us and Somerset really should do well this year...we finally have a batting line up that is firing bar today..and the addition of Harmer means we finally have somebody capable of filling the spin department! And we are always strong in the seam department, so it could finally be our year
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu May 04, 2017 1:34 pm

That's that then, never gave much of a toss about this Royal London one day nonsense anyway!
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Thu May 04, 2017 8:15 pm

Bad luck, bad fielding, and - almost amazingly - bad bowling from Abbott contributed heavily to that defeat. Rarely will Topley and Berg bowl so well, for so little reward (getting the ball past the bat over and over again). For whatever reason, the Pavilion end seemed like a delight to bowl from yesterday. Sadly for us, only Roland-Jones came away with figures to illustrate that.

If there is one negative to our season so far, it is our fielding. We've dropped too many catches already. And yesterday we dropped two more, missed two run-outs, and missed a stumping. None of which were particularly difficult. Take those chances, and get a little more luck when bowling, and we could have been chasing 210.

But sticking with the topic of fielding, I'm still yet to see evidence that McManus is a tidier keeper than Wheater. And sadly for the lad, that's on top of absolutely no evidence that he knows how to bat against a white ball. And in modern day 50 over cricket, that is a massive; two new balls opens the risk of more wickets being lost up front, but it also means that batters face a harder ball for longer - and when you throw in only ten overs of five men on the boundary, you can seriously cash in now towards the end of one-day innings. And inevitably that means needing to have batting strength at 6, 7 and 8.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket