2014 Hampshire Thread

county and domestic cricket around the world

Re: 2014 Hampshire Thread

Postby BringBackJesty » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:11 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:Heres an interesting question, if the season ended today, who would be our player of the season ??

Vince is the obvious choice with 1,220 LVCC runs @ 61, and a match-winning QF heroic innings

On the other hand, Will Smith has 955 LVCC runs @ over 50, and without him, probably wouldn't of got out of the T20 groups.

Vince probably edges it now, but by the end of the season it could easily change, although I think it will be those 2 competing.

An interesting post. Should we go up, I think Abbott would have been the key - at long last we managed to finish sides off after getting the top order out. Smith is certainly find of the season. But agree, if you are the first in the country to 1000 first class's runs, someone has to do something pretty special to trump you.
I've got this feeling Carbs is about to go mad - hope so - you heard it here first!
BringBackJesty

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Aldershot Town FC
Leicester City

Postby Centuryclub » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:26 am

BringBackJesty wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:Heres an interesting question, if the season ended today, who would be our player of the season ??

Vince is the obvious choice with 1,220 LVCC runs @ 61, and a match-winning QF heroic innings

On the other hand, Will Smith has 955 LVCC runs @ over 50, and without him, probably wouldn't of got out of the T20 groups.

Vince probably edges it now, but by the end of the season it could easily change, although I think it will be those 2 competing.

An interesting post. Should we go up, I think Abbott would have been the key - at long last we managed to finish sides off after getting the top order out. Smith is certainly find of the season. But agree, if you are the first in the country to 1000 first class's runs, someone has to do something pretty special to trump you.
I've got this feeling Carbs is about to go mad - hope so - you heard it here first!

If Carbs really lets rip let's hope he does it on Saturday rather than tomorrow against Yorkshire & then fails to turn up on Sat & is either out straight away or goes into his defensive mode & scores 2 in 30 deliveries!

5 minutes last night could have changed Bournemouth's season - winning against Nottm Forest who are now top of the Championship with the chance to be at least 2 but potentially 3 (as Millwall were losing at the time) points clear at the top after only 3 games, they concede 2 in 5 mins & having had 10 (ten) corners in the first half alone are left to rue untaken chances.
Centuryclub

Team(s) Supported: Bournemouth (Football)
Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby Centuryclub » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:08 pm

Hants have signed Imran Tahir for the last 2 CC matches of the season! It is to "cement our place in CC1" but I didn't catch who made the statement. Could be an interesting team selection meeting!
Centuryclub

Team(s) Supported: Bournemouth (Football)
Hampshire (Cricket)

Postby SaintPowelly » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:40 pm

Immys back, so happy, shame he isn't available for Saturday.

Carbs is captain tomorrow, but Adams is playing.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby SaintPowelly » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:50 pm

27 FC games, 124 wickets @ 25.24.

EXACTLY what we need to push us over the line.
SaintPowelly

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:19 pm

Centuryclub wrote:Hants have signed Imran Tahir for the last 2 CC matches of the season! It is to "cement our place in CC1" but I didn't catch who made the statement. Could be an interesting team selection meeting!

Do you mean last 3 matches or is he not available for a while? Does that mean Briggs will be on the bench?
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Centuryclub wrote:
BringBackJesty wrote:

If Carbs really lets rip let's hope he does it on Saturday rather than tomorrow against Yorkshire & then fails to turn up on Sat & is either out straight away or goes into his defensive mode & scores 2 in 30 deliveries!

5 minutes last night could have changed Bournemouth's season - winning against Nottm Forest who are now top of the Championship with the chance to be at least 2 but potentially 3 (as Millwall were losing at the time) points clear at the top after only 3 games, they concede 2 in 5 mins & having had 10 (ten) corners in the first half alone are left to rue untaken chances.

I'm not overly concerned by Bournemouth losing last night to potentially one of the automatic promotion teams this season. The unbeaten tag is not always a good thing to have hanging over you. We outplayed Forest for 70 minutes but didn't take our chances in the first half and ultimately got undone by two softish goals which we should have defended better. 6 points from 3 games is an ok start and we seem to be starting in a similar vein to last season where we hardly drew a game in the run up to Christmas. I just think this season with a stronger and more experienced squad we are much less likely to suffer away day hammerings like early on last season.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby SaintPowelly » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:30 pm

Our XI for tomorrow.

Adams, Barber, Briggs, Carberry (c), Coles, Dawson, Gatting, Terry, Tomlinson, Wheater, Wood.

Vince rested, Smith presumably still injured.
SaintPowelly

Postby Hampshire » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:42 pm

Carberry captain... :hmmm
Hampshire

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire
England

Postby SaintPowelly » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:53 pm

Maybe Adams is considering stepping down next season, testing someone else.
SaintPowelly

Postby st_brendy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:45 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:
Centuryclub wrote:Hants have signed Imran Tahir for the last 2 CC matches of the season! It is to "cement our place in CC1" but I didn't catch who made the statement. Could be an interesting team selection meeting!

Do you mean last 3 matches or is he not available for a while? Does that mean Briggs will be on the bench?

Last two matches is correct.

I wouldn't be surprised if Briggs stayed in the team. One of those two matches is away to Glamorgan, which often turns. And the other is here, where we will no doubt produce a result pitch.

If he can show us his old form, this is a brilliant, brilliant signing. Given that he doesn't play IPL and has never really cracked international cricket, it might even be that (behind closed doors) he's playing for a full county contract with us for next season.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby SaintPowelly » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:50 pm

He played IPL this year Brendy, joined KPs side halfway through.
SaintPowelly

Postby st_brendy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:51 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:Our XI for tomorrow.

Adams, Barber, Briggs, Carberry (c), Coles, Dawson, Gatting, Terry, Tomlinson, Wheater, Wood.

Vince rested, Smith presumably still injured.

Ervine also rested from that list.

However Solent has it is Vince and Wood that have been rested (in addition to Smith's injury), not Vince and Ervine.

Given that he's just played his first four day game for nearly a year, and will no doubt stay in the team for the rest of the season now, it would make sense that it is Wood who has been rested for tomorrow.

Surprised that Shah isn't playing. Not sure I'm totally comfortable with his first proper hit with us being out in the middle on Finals Day. But hey, he's exceptionally experienced I guess.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:59 pm

Turns out that both the club and Solent were right. Ervine AND Wood have been rested, in addition to Vince.

Akram is the 11th person in squad, meaning that we will be giving debuts to two young seamers. Hopefully, over time, they'll turn out to be more like Tremlett than Riazuddin.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:30 pm

If it's any slight consolation for us with regard to not having Maxwell or Abbott available this weekend, Dilshan (Surrey) and Junaid Khan (Lancs) are also not available for the same reason. Surrey are fortunate that Robin Peterson isn't in the SA ODI squad alongside Abbott (Tahir however is in the squad, and that is why we wont have him until our final two games - but unlike Abbott, Tahir doesn't then have the t20 Champions League, hence his availability but not Abbott's).
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Cricket