Australia cancels South Africa tour

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Australia cancels South Africa tour

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:02 pm

Because COVID.

This guarantees that New Zealand qualify for the test championship final, and leaves Australia reliant on the result of the India-England series, rather than with the opportunity to move ahead of New Zealand by thumping South Africa.

Australia, England or India could still qualify depending on the series results, but India only needs a 2-1 win or better, so are clearly in the box seat. England need a 3-0 win or better (not gonna happen), while a draw or narrow England win will hand it to Australia.

Australia are only behind New Zealand because they were docked points for a slow over rate in the Melbourne test. Good. Serves them right.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Re: Australia cancels South Africa tour

Postby sussexpob » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:16 pm

I dont think there is a great surprise that Australia pulled out the tour, I doubt there was much incentive financially to playing a rapidly declining South Africa team away, while the Covid situation there makes it an expanded risk.

And while Australia might lose out on the Test Championship Final, I am dubious that unless England qualify for it and knock out India, the possibility of seeing the game go ahead as scheduled is minute. And if they put it back so can the qualifying series.

I mean, how likely is it that India will agree to isolating strictly for two weeks just for one test? Its unlikely they would allow a county team to get into the biobubble for any warm ups (as per last year), while India wouldnt take a squad of 22 to have a warm up amongst themselves when such a squad wouldnt be needed.

Then you think, India come back at the start of August. They would either isolate 2 weeks in quarantine, play, go home for 2-3 weeks and start the procedure again.... highly unlikely to expect 4 quarantine weeks in 6.... or even more unlikely, be hotel bound in England in the gap. And the game could be delayed to co-incide with their tour, but that puts NZ in the same position.

Wont happen
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Re: Australia cancels South Africa tour

Postby bigfluffylemon » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:31 am

sussexpob wrote:I dont think there is a great surprise that Australia pulled out the tour, I doubt there was much incentive financially to playing a rapidly declining South Africa team away, while the Covid situation there makes it an expanded risk.

The only thing that surprised me was that they were insisting it would go ahead for as long as they did.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Return to International Cricket