South African Cricket Thread

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: South African Cricket Thread

Postby mikesiva » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:53 am

"I think the large majority of the guys welcome the initiative of the SJN and understand its necessity in terms of allowing guys current and former to speak about their experiences in the past," Bavuma said. Did that mean a minority of his players did not support the SJN? "I don't think anyone within our team is shooting down the whole SJN initiative. I think everyone understands the significance of it. In the conversations that I've had everyone has been positive about it."

Mercifully, it seems South Africa's current players do not have to deal with what their predecessors endured: "In 2021 things are very different to the early 2000s, whether you look at it from an exclusivity point of view, [or] you look at it in terms of guys walking into the team and feeling a lot more comfortable. When I joined the team in 2014 it wasn't a big struggle. So I'd really like to think things are different now than they were in the past. In saying that there's always good in looking at the past and seeing how best to do things.

"To be able to learn from those experiences and those mistakes by individuals can help us pave the way forward. As players now, we've got the opportunity to shape the environment in a way that we'd like, so that down the line, we don't look back and say we could have done things in a different way."

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/1 ... ricbuzzcom

The importance of having a captain of colour in present-day South Africa....
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby yuppie » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:44 pm

Should Bavuma even be in the test team now? 1 test hundred in 44 tests, started his test career in 2014 and it seems we have always been waiting for him to show more.

His fielding is not great and he does not bowl.

At 31 with a test average of 32 after 44 tests its maybe a sign of how far SA cricket has fallen in the last 10 years.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby mikesiva » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:12 am

Quinton de Kock pulls out of the West Indies game, because he refuses to take the knee.

Which is a gesture against racism.

Unless you're an idiot who swallows the nonsense that this is Marxist, then the only conclusion can be that if you are against gestures against racism, then you are in favour of racism.

Unfortunately, de Kock is not alone. There are a lot of white Saffers who still have that apartheid baggage.

mikesiva

Postby Gingerfinch » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:52 pm

I do think taking the knee shouldn't be compulsory. Similar to when the ex Sunderland player refused to wear a shirt with a poppy emblem. Like taking the knee, I don't see the problem in doing it/wearing it but you should have a choice.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:50 pm

begs the question of why SA hadn't worked out the team stance on this issue before naming their squad. Suggests to me that the decision making process was a bit rushed, a bit last minute and perhaps not very well thought out.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:02 pm

Gingerfinch wrote:I do think taking the knee shouldn't be compulsory. Similar to when the ex Sunderland player refused to wear a shirt with a poppy emblem. Like taking the knee, I don't see the problem in doing it/wearing it but you should have a choice.

Much as I support taking the knee, I agree with Ginger. If it is compulsory, it loses some of its meaning and impact.

Poppy wearing may as well be compulsory in the UK for anyone in the public eye for the two weeks running up to Remembrance Sunday. I think the BBC news presenters start wearing them around September (reminds me of an old Rowan Atkinson sketch where it's that time of year again and he goes to a drawer to take out an ancient poppy covered in dust, blows the dust off and puts it on then heads out to present something...)
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby alfie » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:30 am

Gingerfinch wrote:I do think taking the knee shouldn't be compulsory. Similar to when the ex Sunderland player refused to wear a shirt with a poppy emblem. Like taking the knee, I don't see the problem in doing it/wearing it but you should have a choice.

It is a tricky one , this. Agree the gesture is a bit hollow if it is forced on someone ; but on the other hand there is the team solidarity issue. Ten - or less - out of eleven doing something that isn't unanimous would appear a little odd.

Why de Kock - or anyone - would object is a matter only he can answer. A bit like one member of a team not wearing a black armband for a recent death ; which I can't say I've ever seen (or noticed , anyway).

What it means for SA at this event we will see. But it can hardly help their cause...
alfie

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:57 pm

The SA players were given 3 ways to show their support..... taking the knee, raising the fist, standing to attention. Taking the knee has become political for some. Raising the fist reminds me of the olympics years ago with the black panther salute. I've not seen standing to attention anywhere until the other night. I noticed that at Wembley the Hungary players pointed to the 'respect' logo on their kit when the England players took the knee. I guess there are many more ways of showing support against racism than taking the knee, so it's odd that some players find it difficult to find a way of showing support that they can feel comfortable with
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby mikesiva » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:02 pm

Quinton de Kock has apologised to his team-mates and fans for the "hurt, confusion, and anger" he caused by refusing to follow a CSA directive to take the knee at the T20 World Cup and sitting out the game against West Indies.

In a statement, released on Thursday morning, de Kock explained his decision not to take the knee on Tuesday was a response to feeling "like my rights were taken away when I was told what we had to do in the way that we were told," by the CSA board. However, after an "emotional" conversation between the board and the players last night, he has a "better understanding of their intentions" and "will love nothing more than to play cricket for my country again."

That means de Kock has made himself available for selection for the rest of the tournament, which for South Africa, resumes on Saturday against Sri Lanka.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/sout ... ee-1285649

QdK finally sees sense....

mikesiva

Postby sussexpob » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:34 pm

The two examples couldn't be any different.

Mclean was refusing to wear a symbol of the British Armed forces; an organization responsible for a famous massacre in the small estate he grew up in Londonderry. Growing up around families who had their relatives murdered then being asked to wear something supporting those who did it is a justifiable stance he should never be criticised for.

Refusing to make a statement in support of anti-racism movements is not justifiable in the slightest.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:42 pm

alfie wrote:A bit like one member of a team not wearing a black armband for a recent death ; which I can't say I've ever seen (or noticed , anyway)

It happened fairly recently when that Argentine lad died in a plane crash in the Channel on the way to sign for Cardiff. IIRC, a few people who knew him refused to join the minute silence/black armbands because he had yet to be confirmed officially dead.

mikesiva wrote:Unless you're an idiot who swallows the nonsense that this is Marxist, then the only conclusion can be that if you are against gestures against racism, then you are in favour of racism.

This is the position I find myself in. Putting barriers up to refuse to do it or finding lame excuses just makes me think you have dubious morals.

Of course, some cultures its taboo to take knees - which is why people are given a choice to express support differently. No excuse for De Kock.

He wouldnt play again for my side.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby The Professor » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:17 pm

Absolute runfest in Bloemfontein as 634 runs are scored in 2 days as South Africa A play India A.

Two centuries were scored by South Africa yesterday and that was backed up by 82* by Sinethemba Qeshile as the Proteas declared on 509-7.

India do not look daunted in reply and went to stumps on 125-1.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby The Professor » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:30 pm

This games heading for a draw. Today it was the turn of Abhimanyu Easwaran to get to three figures on a truncated day. India are 308-4 in their first innings.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:38 pm

George Linde scored 44 as South Africa ‘A’ reached 233-7 at stumps on day 1 of their 2nd unofficial Test with India 'A'
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:26 pm

Ishan Kishan scored 49 runs from 71 balls including 9 fours against South Africa A. It takes India A to 198-5 - 99 runs behind South Africa As first innings total
The Professor

Kent

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket