RIP thread

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: RIP thread

Postby GarlicJam » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:56 pm

I haven't listened to Bat Out of Hell for 40 years (I think I will change that today), and it is a long way short of being my favourite albums, but I still think that it is one of the great rock albums ever made.

Yes, it's cliched and corny, but it worked so well. We played the absolute bejeezus out of it after school, day and day after day.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:26 pm

GarlicJam wrote:I haven't listened to Bat Out of Hell for 40 years (I think I will change that today), and it is a long way short of being my favourite albums, but I still think that it is one of the great rock albums ever made.

Yes, it's cliched and corny, but it worked so well. We played the absolute bejeezus out of it after school, day and day after day.

Bat out of hell was top of the charts the year I joined the Navy. I went from being a big fan prior to joining up to not listening to it again for years. No matter where I went on the camp someone, somewhere was playing the album. I would hear bits of it pretty much every hour of every day.

Not, of course, when I was being ordered to shin up and down a rope twenty times in the gym, or being made to do bunny hops up and down a rugby pitch in new boots at 5 o'clock in the morning, or being made to hold a rifle at full arm stretch and getting hit with a big stick whenever it dropped below the horizontal, or being thrown in one of the scum covered outside fire fighting water tanks that were positioned all around the camp for not having a shiny enough peak on my cap, or being made to slide along a rope 'single leopard' fashion over and over again until I'd ripped off the skin on that side of my gentles for having the temerity to cough while someone was talking........ but every other waking minute of the day

I did learn to love it again many years later, though. A behemoth of an album
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:55 pm

You remember your navy days fondly then, Durham?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Aidan11 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:14 am

One of my friends had a brother who bought Bat out of He'll and played it quite a lot. I was about 13/14 at the time and was struck by how different it was to everything else at the time. Then he appeared on Old Grey Whistle Test and rather than just stand on stage and sing he was almost performing a mini soap opera.

A larger than life character. I recently viewed again his performance on The Tube which now seems to have virtually every episode on You Tube. The show's producer that day kept calling him Mr Loaf which he found hilarious. Another bizarre story about him is that he was a Hartlepool United "fan".

Sadly it seems his reluctance to get vaccinated may have been a cause of his demise.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:24 pm

Isn't one of iron maiden a pools fan too?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Aidan11 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:42 pm

That's Jan Gers. He was born in the town and often comes back to visit family and go to the games.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby DiligentDefence » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:08 pm

Sonny Ramadhin, last of the 1950 WI touring team aged 92. RIP
Ban v Eng combined fantasy guru '10 summer chess champ
'10 Ban v Zim ODI fantasy guru 2011 county division one prediction guru
2011 Zim vs NZ combined prediction guru 2011 India vs WI Tests prediction guru
2012 CB40 fantasy league guru 2014 World T20 fantasy guru
2015 6 Nations prediction league winners 2016 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2017 Masters Fantasy league Winner 2018 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2019 WI v Eng ODI fantasy league 2019 Eng v Pak ODI fantasy league winner
DiligentDefence

Team(s) Supported: Northants, England

Postby alfie » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:45 am

John Landy , great Australian athlete - second man ever to go under four minutes for the mile. A real hero of Australian athletics ; from his exploits at Olympic Games in 1952 and 1956 to his legendary "stopping to help fallen rival Ron Clarke " in the Australian Championships mile in that year.

In later years Governor of Victoria , and honoured for contributions to conservation in this state. Passed away peacefully at 91 . RIP to a true gentleman.
alfie

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:49 am

A great Australian even, Alfie. He happened to be a great athlete as well.

Funny, after all the years of people striving to break the four minute mile, Bannister does it with Landy at his heels - then shortly afterwards, Landy smashed Bannister's record by over 2 seconds.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:21 am

Ramadhin and Landy really legendary names in their sports (and more with Landy). A bit surprised to hear they died this week as they now feel like from so long ago.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby alfie » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:36 am

GarlicJam wrote:A great Australian even, Alfie. He happened to be a great athlete as well.

Funny, after all the years of people striving to break the four minute mile, Bannister does it with Landy at his heels - then shortly afterwards, Landy smashed Bannister's record by over 2 seconds.

Suppose not that surprising really as the two of them - and the American Wes Santee - had all been trying for some time to break the magic mark. Landy's record , of course , went on to stand for several years.

They both broke 4 minutes in the Commonwealth Games a couple of months later when Bannister pipped Landy to the title. That was a wonderful race ! I re-watched the video , sort of in remembrance. Worth a look and a listen to the interviews...
alfie

Postby sussexpob » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:37 am

alfie wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:A great Australian even, Alfie. He happened to be a great athlete as well.

Suppose not that surprising really as the two of them - and the American Wes Santee - had all been trying for some time to break the magic mark. Landy's record , of course , went on to stand for several years.

They both broke 4 minutes in the Commonwealth Games a couple of months later when Bannister pipped Landy to the title. That was a wonderful race ! I re-watched the video , sort of in remembrance. Worth a look and a listen to the interviews...

As a novice on the subject, why are these athletes so historically revered? The factored up 1500m WR of the time would have broken the barrier of 4 minutes (even if you factor up the last 109 meters at a slower pace of the next highest mark of the time, the average speed of a 5,000 m runner) .... and in the following Olympics Landy and Bannister finished 3/4th in the same year they broke records.

Is this a case of countries that use the mile caring, while 1500m runners elsewhere were already setting these paces? Thee records look very academic to me. :hide

Or is the opposite true? Were Olympic 1500m after thoughts for chasing the historical barrier?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:35 am

I reckon it is that it was a convenient measurement that had been spoken about for decades (if not longer) as the impossible task. Running 1500 at similar speeds doesn't have the same ring to it.

I can tell you who first climbed Everest, but without looking, I wouldn't know who was the first to climb K2. Not much shorter and a much more difficult climb (so I hear).

The romance and glory is with THE tallest.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby alfie » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:56 pm

sussexpob wrote:
alfie wrote:

As a novice on the subject, why are these athletes so historically revered? The factored up 1500m WR of the time would have broken the barrier of 4 minutes (even if you factor up the last 109 meters at a slower pace of the next highest mark of the time, the average speed of a 5,000 m runner) .... and in the following Olympics Landy and Bannister finished 3/4th in the same year they broke records.

Is this a case of countries that use the mile caring, while 1500m runners elsewhere were already setting these paces? Thee records look very academic to me. :hide

Or is the opposite true? Were Olympic 1500m after thoughts for chasing the historical barrier?

Couple of things not quite right there . Landy actually took the 1500 World Record en route to his Mile record in 1954. And while Landy did indeed finish third in the 1956 Olympics , Bannister (who was 4th in the 1952 Olympics ) had retired from athletics by then - after first winning the 1954 European Championships 1500 in meeting record time ...so there is no doubt both men were right at the top of their field. Certainly not a case of other runners not being interested in the mile.

Runners aren't robots. And as we see even today , the man with the best time doesn't necessarily win in a major championship.

But this is all academic. As GJ points out , the confluence of a traditional distance of 1 Mile and a clear and distinct time of exactly four minutes was a natural target for many at the time. Aiming for 3.40.7 , say , for 1500 just didn't have the same ring to it :)

Bit like 10 seconds to the 100m. Always more important than the 100 yards , which had been run well under 10 since the 19th century.
alfie

Postby bigfluffylemon » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:10 am

RIP Rod Marsh. A very fine player and great contributor to the game.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket