Greatest ODI XI of all-time

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Greatest ODI XI of all-time

Postby The Waugh Twins » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:30 pm

The Waugh Twins wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
The Waugh Twins wrote:I'm lost for words, but I see Sussex isn't.

Not much of a counter argument

ha,ha and you summed it up right there Sussex. All you ever seem to do on here is vent to people you don't even know. Yes I like a good rant now and again, but when it's constant it becomes tedious.

You know he'll find an argument for that Mark.
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Postby sussexpob » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:49 pm

The Waugh Twins wrote:
The Waugh Twins wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
The Waugh Twins wrote:I'm lost for words, but I see Sussex isn't.

Not much of a counter argument

ha,ha and you summed it up right there Sussex. All you ever seem to do on here is vent to people you don't even know. Yes I like a good rant now and again, but when it's constant it becomes tedious.

You know he'll find an argument for that Mark.

Indeed, I did sum it up..... I asked for your counter argument, and you answered with a personal remark rather then enter into the debate. Im glad you joined in....

Was Mark using the joint brain cell when you wrote this?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:46 pm

The modern bats aren't heavy. They have a lot of wood in them but they aren't pressed. I think in the eighties, players used heavy bats. I'm not sure it works to say old time batters couldn't have used them. Clearly plenty could have, it just wasn't an option for them.

Leg theory wasn't practiced after bodyline, but are you saying bouncers weren't bowled until the fifties. I'd never heard that.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby meninblue » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:07 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:The modern bats aren't heavy. They have a lot of wood in them but they aren't pressed. I think in the eighties, players used heavy bats. I'm not sure it works to say old time batters couldn't have used them. Clearly plenty could have, it just wasn't an option for them.

Leg theory wasn't practiced after bodyline, but are you saying bouncers weren't bowled until the fifties. I'd never heard that.

Modern bats are pressed and hence they have good stroke. The other reason for machine pressing is avoiding trouble of hand knocking.one more reason for pressing bat is to remove air within wood.Now pressed bats are also cheap.Many club cricketers also using it.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:20 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Leg theory wasn't practiced after bodyline, but are you saying bouncers weren't bowled until the fifties. I'd never heard that.

No, I said that the English bowlers were basically told not to bowl them and that anyone who did was disgraced, but Bradman captaining the Aussies in 46 and 48 instructed his bowlers to barrage England, who did not respond in kind, as Walter Hammond was rigidly sticking to these series being "goodwill" series while both teams recovered from the war years, and any political strife from Bodyline and questions about the Empire petered out.

David Firth wrote the book "Bodyline Autopsy" discusses the legacy of the series. I cant obviously find a copy of the book but an extra of the book on Cricinfo.....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 55228.html

But the cost to England's image was catastrophic. Here was the revered Mother Country playing dirty. At that time the intimidation and the concentrated field setting were both within the letter of the Laws. But as even some of the English players privately recognised, they were contrary to the spirit of the game. The tourists won four of the Tests, losing only the second, on a slow Melbourne pitch where Bradman coupled a duck with a splendid, hardworking century.

It took a long time to heal the injured feelings, which had even concerned the governments of both countries. Subtle unwritten pledges were extracted that the Australians would not be subjected to Bodyline during the 1934 tour, and in due course the Laws were tightened in an effort to prevent any repetition - though not soon enough to spare India from assault by other England fast bowlers under Jardine's control in 1933-34.

Thereafter, bouncers were widely regarded as unsporting and unwanted - until, that is, the Second World War changed everything. In the late 1940s Bradman had Ray Lindwall and Keith Miller at his disposal, and the bouncers flew again. Yet even those blistering sessions were but an attenuated preamble to what happened in the late 1970s and the 1980s
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:27 pm

The change actually is attributed to Frank Tyson in the 1954-55 Ashes in Australia. Ray Lindwall bowled short and quick to Tyson when batting, knocking Tyson on the head and out the game. He returned later with a golf ball sized lump on his head, and tore into the Aussies with some shock and awe style intimidation of his own..... other teams after followed suit after that, and the bouncer became acceptable once more, but before that, only Australia had used the tactic.

It still wasn't that much of a done thing until the Windies made it their own decades later though....

sussexpob

Postby The Waugh Twins » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:19 pm

Reminds me of getting off the coach back in the 80's half way between Adelaide and Darwin. No sooner were you out the door walking across to the roadhouse and our backs were covered in flies. No matter how many times you swatted those pesky things away they were right back where they started.
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Thanks for the quote Sussex. I really should read that book.

And thanks for the bat info Adi. You used to often hear from the Botham/Kapil Dev era how heavy the bats were. Usually from an ex player picking up a present player's bat. But no one ever says that anymore, people comment on how big the bats are.

I think the notion of those old timers playing ODIs was intended to be whimsical. But it isn't always easy to tell.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Albondiga » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:45 pm

"The greats of an era would be greats in any era"

I believe any ODI side or any other longer form of the game ( I don't include 20/20 because I don't see it as a game for professionals ) should contain BRADMAN SOBERS HOBBS S F BARNES WARNE AKRAM MARSHALL.

It does not matter if they have not played ODI's as we know them now as they would soon adapt.
Albondiga

Postby rich1uk » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Albondiga wrote:"The greats of an era would be greats in any era"

I believe any ODI side or any other longer form of the game ( I don't include 20/20 because I don't see it as a game for professionals ) should contain BRADMAN SOBERS HOBBS S F BARNES WARNE AKRAM MARSHALL.

It does not matter if they have not played ODI's as we know them now as they would soon adapt.

I agree with you in principle albondiga

still don't see how you can pick marshall for an ODI team in front of garner , they played a similar numbers of ODIs, during roughly the same time frame, and garner has a significantly better record in the format
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:35 pm

I dont think you can argue that players "would adapt" to a format they never played.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:39 pm

rich1uk wrote:

I agree with you in principle albondiga

still don't see how you can pick marshall for an ODI team in front of garner , they played a similar numbers of ODIs, during roughly the same time frame, and garner has a significantly better record in the format

Certainly more of an argument for Marshall over Garner in a test team, but imo, Garner over anyone in ODI's.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:43 pm

Murali and Saqlain over Warne in ODI's is a very good argument.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby sussexpob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:52 pm

I love the double standards of this old era v new era thing. We have to hear about how these old legends batted on pitches that were uncovered, with helmets, etc.....

Sidney Barnes played in an era where no Australia who played more than 3 matches averaged over 40. Poor pitches, no helmets and poor batting quality seem to have twisted the statistics from this era.... a list of pre-WWI bowlers as follows:

GA Lohmann..... 112 wickets at 10....
J Ferris.... 61 wickets at 12
W Barnes....51 wickets at 15
CTB Turner...101 wickets at 16
R Briggs... 118 wickets at 16
R Peel...101 wickets at 17
R SPotforth... 68 wickets at 18
C Blythe...100 wickets at 18

The average wicket in these days dropped nearly 10 runs per wicket less, so bowling in Sidney Barnes day was like shooting fish in a barrel compared to nowadays. If Kallis isnt as good as Sobers because of X,Y and Z, for the same reason we should ignore Sidney Barnes in any debate.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:56 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:

I dont think you can argue that players "would adapt" to a format they never played.

Indeed. Maybe we should change the debate to "best long distance runners of all time"......

In the hypothetical world of a 4 x 10,000m relay, my squad would be thus....

Carl Lewis
Linford Christie
Usain Bolt
Asafa Powell

I would have picked Mo Farah, Seb Coe or Garesallase, but I dont think they were anywhere near as quick as those boys.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket