England ODI selection

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: England ODI selection

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 pm

shankycricket wrote:No, I don't think they'll win the World Cup. Just saying they aren't as bad as others seem to think.

Australia look head and shoulders above others to me.

England is the only team appealing to me in term of betting.
Australia, India and South Africa look short price to me.
8 or 9/1 are very generous on England.
Especially considering India, Australia and South Africa are around 3/1 or 4/1

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby m@tt » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:49 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:I would make room for Taylor, the guy's a class act, in all formats of the game.

Making_Splinters wrote:I am an advocate of Wright, but he's an opener and England aren't going to play him as one, so no real point to considering him.

Taylor is fighting for a different spot, 3 or 4 which are occupied by Ballance and Root at present, I'd not be suprised to see Hales or Bell at three in this series.

I am mystified how Taylor continually gets overlooked, you'd think there would have to be a very good reason with Newell as a selector these days.

Taylor's continued omission from the Test squad is a bigger mystery. Especially missing out on the last two winter tours despite finishing the summer in the team or squad.

But in ODIs I really can't see how they make room for him. He has to play between 3 and 5, so that's only three spots. Morgan has to play. If Root doesn't play then we lose a bowling option, and he's a pretty good batsman too. Ballance is one of the few players to average higher in List A cricket than Taylor, whilst Bell is obviously a senior player. Other players who are missing out include Vince and Roy, plus Bopara.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby Slipstream » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:24 am

backfootpunch wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:
Teams need a balance between test and 50 over players. For instance, Bell or Cook is ok, but maybe not both.

Absolutely, if England are to stand a chance of winning next years World Cup then the starting XI must only consist one of the two.

look at our bowling, we will have jimmy in a format that isnt his best, an unfit stuart broad, a few young inexperienced seamers and james tredwell

we have no chance of winning the world cup with that bowling, no matter who our batsmen are

in fact the state of our bowling is the main reason cook shouldnt be in the team, we need a line up that can consistently post/chase down scores of above or around 300

with an opener who cant score off the front foot it is difficult to chase down 300+ as you are always behind the rate

Anderson is number 3 in the ICC ODI rankings. Last two years http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=bowling
Slipstream

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:46 am

m@tt wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:I would make room for Taylor, the guy's a class act, in all formats of the game.

Making_Splinters wrote:I am an advocate of Wright, but he's an opener and England aren't going to play him as one, so no real point to considering him.

Taylor is fighting for a different spot, 3 or 4 which are occupied by Ballance and Root at present, I'd not be suprised to see Hales or Bell at three in this series.

I am mystified how Taylor continually gets overlooked, you'd think there would have to be a very good reason with Newell as a selector these days.

Taylor's continued omission from the Test squad is a bigger mystery. Especially missing out on the last two winter tours despite finishing the summer in the team or squad.

But in ODIs I really can't see how they make room for him. He has to play between 3 and 5, so that's only three spots. Morgan has to play. If Root doesn't play then we lose a bowling option, and he's a pretty good batsman too. Ballance is one of the few players to average higher in List A cricket than Taylor, whilst Bell is obviously a senior player. Other players who are missing out include Vince and Roy, plus Bopara.

One point about both Taylor and Hales is they both take some time to get going then make it up later in the innings. With England what we really need is a player who can come out from ball one and score or players who can rotate the strike well. A big failing of the current England side is they can't get the quick singles often enough. No point being able to hit sixes if you don't score off the other five balls.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby D/L » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:12 am

bhaveshgor wrote:
shankycricket wrote:No, I don't think they'll win the World Cup. Just saying they aren't as bad as others seem to think.

Australia look head and shoulders above others to me.

England is the only team appealing to me in term of betting.
Australia, India and South Africa look short price to me.
8 or 9/1 are very generous on England.
Especially considering India, Australia and South Africa are around 3/1 or 4/1

8 or 9/1 against England will attract quite a few bets on a team that has a much smaller chance than that of winning the World Cup. The bookies know what they're doing there.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:31 am

Everyone's favourite dark horse, New Zealand might be worth a few quid, depending on their odds.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 am

I reckon England might be everyone favorite Dark horses this year got good value on the bookies plus they got some very good players only strategy and tactics will let them down.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby D/L » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:55 am

bhaveshgor wrote:I reckon England might be everyone favorite Dark horses this year got good value on the bookies plus they got some very good players only strategy and tactics will let them down.

Hence the apparently generous odds.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby KipperJohn » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Unless Cook has an absolute mare in the next six months he'll be leading England into the WC - he only has to play averagely because the full weight of the ECB is behind him. Moores says he can take hard decisions - I doubt that when it comes to Cook.

Cook did go through a period when his ODI form improved quite significantly - let's hope it returns.
KipperJohn

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:12 pm

KipperJohn wrote:Unless Cook has an absolute mare in the next six months he'll be leading England into the WC - he only has to play averagely because the full weight of the ECB is behind him. Moores says he can take hard decisions - I doubt that when it comes to Cook.

Cook did go through a period when his ODI form improved quite significantly - let's hope it returns.

he was very good in the first couple of years when he came back into the side, he was scoring heavily and quickly, over the last 18 months he has been less than inspiring
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby rich1uk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:50 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
KipperJohn wrote:Unless Cook has an absolute mare in the next six months he'll be leading England into the WC - he only has to play averagely because the full weight of the ECB is behind him. Moores says he can take hard decisions - I doubt that when it comes to Cook.

he was very good in the first couple of years when he came back into the side, he was scoring heavily and quickly, over the last 18 months he has been less than inspiring

hes basically had 3 phases to his ODI career ;

before he took over as captain , 2006-2010, 26 games at an average of 33 and s/r of 71
first year as captain, jun 2011-jun2012, 22 games at an average of 53 and a s/r of 90
last 2 years, july 2012-now, 34 games at an average of 32 and a s/r of 72

don't know how relevant this is but the majority of that really good spell occurred when he had a more aggressive player like kieswetter or KP opening with him , whilst his poorer form he has had more of an accumulator beside him and maybe felt more pressure to force the pace himself
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby ianp1970 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:27 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:I reckon England might be everyone favorite Dark horses this year got good value on the bookies plus they got some very good players only strategy and tactics will let them down.

England could spring a surprise from A4 in the QF at Wellington, although at 10/1 I'll be keeping my money in my pocket :)
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:28 pm

rich1uk wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:

before he took over as captain , 2006-2010, 26 games at an average of 33 and s/r of 71
first year as captain, jun 2011-jun2012, 22 games at an average of 53 and a s/r of 90

don't know how relevant this is but the majority of that really good spell occurred when he had a more aggressive player like kieswetter or KP opening with him , whilst his poorer form he has had more of an accumulator beside him and maybe felt more pressure to force the pace himself

i think it probably has more to do with the fact he was in the best knick of his life when he came back into the side and has been struggling for form over the last 18 months or so and consequently both his average and strike rate have fallen well away

when in form he is a more than proficient one day player who although he has limitations is able to score quickly, when he is out of form due to his lack of shot scoring options he is easily bogged down, which generally causes either him or his partner to play a rash shot and get out
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:36 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
rich1uk wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:

i think it probably has more to do with the fact he was in the best knick of his life when he came back into the side and has been struggling for form over the last 18 months or so and consequently both his average and strike rate have fallen well away

when in form he is a more than proficient one day player who although he has limitations is able to score quickly, when he is out of form due to his lack of shot scoring options he is easily bogged down, which generally causes either him or his partner to play a rash shot and get out

Good points since Cook does generally have good strike rates when he scores more than 50-60 but has gotten out for low scores during the last two years and English conditions can force him to bat slowly 2012 SA series being a fine example.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby rich1uk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:39 pm

backfootpunch wrote:

almost anyone who is an established international player can be a proficient ODI player "when in form", fact remains we are going into a period leading up to the WC with cook not being in form but still seemingly guaranteed his place
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket