England ODI selection

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: England ODI selection

Postby andy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:55 pm

I would make room for Taylor, the guy's a class act, in all formats of the game.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby backfootpunch » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:
Teams need a balance between test and 50 over players. For instance, Bell or Cook is ok, but maybe not both.

Absolutely, if England are to stand a chance of winning next years World Cup then the starting XI must only consist one of the two.

look at our bowling, we will have jimmy in a format that isnt his best, an unfit stuart broad, a few young inexperienced seamers and james tredwell

we have no chance of winning the world cup with that bowling, no matter who our batsmen are

in fact the state of our bowling is the main reason cook shouldnt be in the team, we need a line up that can consistently post/chase down scores of above or around 300

with an opener who cant score off the front foot it is difficult to chase down 300+ as you are always behind the rate
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:34 pm

I think Luke Wright's current form places him ahead of Taylor, he's a fine batsman who seems finally to have found consistancy which is not Taylors strong point.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:22 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:
Teams need a balance between test and 50 over players. For instance, Bell or Cook is ok, but maybe not both.

Absolutely, if England are to stand a chance of winning next years World Cup then the starting XI must only consist one of the two.

look at our bowling, we will have jimmy in a format that isnt his best, an unfit stuart broad, a few young inexperienced seamers and james tredwell

we have no chance of winning the world cup with that bowling, no matter who our batsmen are

in fact the state of our bowling is the main reason cook shouldnt be in the team, we need a line up that can consistently post/chase down scores of above or around 300

with an opener who cant score off the front foot it is difficult to chase down 300+ as you are always behind the rate

Jimmy Anderson would be bowling in familiar conditions over in Australia and New Zealand. Harry Gurney and Chris Jordan haven't disgraced themselves in ODI cricket so far. Add Steven Finn to the mix and there is potential for a decent bowling unit.

Adil Rashid is amongst the wickets in the One Day Cup, i'd be surprised if he isn't on the tour to Sri Lanka.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby rich1uk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:25 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:I think Luke Wright's current form places him ahead of Taylor, he's a fine batsman who seems finally to have found consistancy which is not Taylors strong point.

would that be the luke wright that averages 33 in this years 50 over competition compared to the james taylor averaging over 40

the luke wright who has a career list A average of under 30 compared to the james taylor that has a career average over 50 ?

you don't get a career average over 50 in list A cricket , when having played 100 games by being inconsistent
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:37 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:

I always believed batting is more important in ODI you can easily make up the crap bowling with extra runs.
India being a prime example here won lots of games with *modded* bowlers.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby backfootpunch » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:53 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:

I always believed batting is more important in ODI you can easily make up the crap bowling with extra runs.
India being a prime example here won lots of games with *modded* bowlers.

in indian conditions you are probably right but in england the bowlers have a big influence most of the time

the world cup is in australia, with large boundaries and bouncy pitches i can see the bowlers playing a major role
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:02 pm

rich1uk wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:I think Luke Wright's current form places him ahead of Taylor, he's a fine batsman who seems finally to have found consistancy which is not Taylors strong point.

would that be the luke wright that averages 33 in this years 50 over competition compared to the james taylor averaging over 40

the luke wright who has a career list A average of under 30 compared to the james taylor that has a career average over 50 ?

you don't get a career average over 50 in list A cricket , when having played 100 games by being inconsistent

You didn't notice that I talk about current form.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby KipperJohn » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:05 pm

Assuming Cook holds on to the ODI captaincy and Hales does ok, then there is a distinct possibility that we are witnessing the demise of Bell as an ODI regular as I expect Ballance to take the No 3 spot. He'll probably stay in the frame as cover for the top order.

I don't necessarily agree with that, just stating what seems pretty obvious.
KipperJohn

Postby rich1uk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:06 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
You didn't notice that I talk about current form.

and so did I , thus my reference to how they are doing in this years competition

luke wright has played 50 ODIs now and averages 20 with the bat , hes more than had his chance and shown not to be good enough at the highest level

how about we give someone that has consistently made runs in list A cricket , averages of 50+ don't lie, a similar chance before writing him off

edit : wright's average was obviously before todays game , that's the problem with wright , he occasionally plays an innings like that and everybody forgets just how mediocre he has been for England in the past
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:35 pm

I am an advocate of Wright, but he's an opener and England aren't going to play him as one, so no real point to considering him.

Taylor is fighting for a different spot, 3 or 4 which are occupied by Ballance and Root at present, I'd not be suprised to see Hales or Bell at three in this series.

I am mystified how Taylor continually gets overlooked, you'd think there would have to be a very good reason with Newell as a selector these days.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Sky made a very good point about Hales as an opener earlier on: He's played most of his cricket opening alongside Lumb so he's been able to get in while Lumb keeps up the run rate, something that won't happen for England.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby shankycricket » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:44 pm

Anderson is very underrated in ODIs actually. His stats (both home and away) post the 2011 World Cup debacle are excellent and unlike in 2011, he won't be going into the World Cup on the back of a draining 5 Test series. I expect him to do well. If Finn can get into some form, he is a world class ODI bowler (unlike Tests where he has always been a lottery) and in Gurney, they seem to have finally found the much vaunted left armer. He looks a decent ODI bowler to me. Jordan also looks a better limited overs bowler than a Test bowler and Tredwell is one of the better ODI spinners in the world. So even accounting for the uncertainty over Broad (and he should be back for the tri series that precedes the WC), thats a pretty decent, albeit not great bowling attack.

Get rid of Cook and they'll be fine. I see Cook as the elephant in the room here. Not only will he fail to get the big runs but his slow coach approach might just put added pressure on Hales (if he's picked, which he probably won't be) Ballance and co to be overly aggressive, leading to their downfall.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:00 pm

shankycricket wrote:Anderson is very underrated in ODIs actually. His stats (both home and away) post the 2011 World Cup debacle are excellent and unlike in 2011, he won't be going into the World Cup on the back of a draining 5 Test series. I expect him to do well. If Finn can get into some form, he is a world class ODI bowler (unlike Tests where he has always been a lottery) and in Gurney, they seem to have finally found the much vaunted left armer. He looks a decent ODI bowler to me. Jordan also looks a better limited overs bowler than a Test bowler and Tredwell is one of the better ODI spinners in the world. So even accounting for the uncertainty over Broad (and he should be back for the tri series that precedes the WC), thats a pretty decent, albeit not great bowling attack.

Get rid of Cook and they'll be fine. I see Cook as the elephant in the room here. Not only will he fail to get the big runs but his slow coach approach might just put added pressure on Hales (if he's picked, which he probably won't be) Ballance and co to be overly aggressive, leading to their downfall.

Yep I am actually backing England to win the world cup.
They got lots of potential if they pick the right team or squad.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby shankycricket » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:22 pm

No, I don't think they'll win the World Cup. Just saying they aren't as bad as others seem to think.

Australia look head and shoulders above others to me.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket