Shut your eyes and think of England.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

Postby hopeforthebest » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:22 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Simon Wilde's book on Pietersen will claim that Swann was phoned by Flower to complain that he was too pro KP in his press articles.

Together with Charles Colville declaring that the Verdict was not supposed to talk about Pietersen during its review of Sky's cricket coverage, and claims that Downton had a word with Warne after Cook asked for something to be done....

And the absolute plethora of love your leader articles about Cook in a year that runs (in all formats in which Cook played) LLLLLW...

It feels quite creepy.

Well that should be worth a few thousand posts on CMS and maybe a libel suit or two.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:28 am

I think this stuff is of limited interest.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Aidan11 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:53 am

KP has been pushed into the background recently. Around the time England started winning again.

Of course there's to book release to come....
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby D/L » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:21 am

Aidan11 wrote:KP has been pushed into the background recently. Around the time England started winning again.

Of course there's to book release to come....

Which, if penned by Pietersen or is at least a representation of his words, is bound to be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:45 pm

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/articles/high ... mer-review

There's been a bit of chat about the ECB's review of the summer of international cricket just gone. Obviously I've never read Pravda, but possibly this captures the tone of its reviews of Soviet economic policy?

Makes Berry and Newman look like Woodward and Bernstein.

Cook began to discover his midas touch with the bat and in the field.

(When was that? He made four fifties all summer in twenty innings, no hundreds, and lost three out of four series).

His senior players followed...

(Surely they led, in particular Anderson and Broad, without them Cook was King Midas in reverse.)

Buttler was fast becoming the man everybody wanted to see don the whites. That became a reality when Prior was forced from the side.

(Everyone except for Cook who said Buttler wasn't ready. Prior was picked when obviously unfit, but Cook told us all the job was his until he no longer fancied it.)

Gone was the fear of failure.

(They lost the ODIs which followed.)

The ghost of Graeme Swann was banished.

(Maybe a bit premature. England have had one world class spinner in the last thirty years. Now it's, who is Graeme Swann?)

Root emerging with over 700 runs in the summer to mark him out as one of the key figures in the future of English cricket.

(Maybe. Compton and Pietersen were dropped after being top run scorer in the series.)

The story of the summer was undoubtedly the emergence of the next generation, and how they immediately settled into the international arena.

There is plenty of life left in some of the older legs yet, though.

(Well we'll see. Maybe he's jerking that knee a bit prematurely. England have won one Test series in a row, and haven't won an ODI series under Cook for two years.)

The subsequent one-day series with India went the way of the world champions but the whole England set-up will take a lot of heart from the Tests, which could prove to be a watershed moment in English cricket.

(Now I'm envious. The brief period when England didn't lose is the watershed.)

Come on England!
Arthur Crabtree

Postby rich1uk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:00 pm

sounds like they borrowed one of the spin doctors from the party conference season
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:06 am

Connoisseurs of shifty eyed self justification, management jargon and sheer Pythonesque buffoonery will have been feeling Paul Downton has been quiet for too long, since it became obvious in the summer that the only way things could seem better was if he stopped talking. Now he's talking again.It's his job.

He's back to endorse his decision to endorse Cook as England captain. He says he's (Steely) having a terrible time, but no one is more frustrated by that than him. Overlooking that, this may well not matter given the goal is (we nostalgists like to think) not to achieve Nirvana for Alastair Cook, but to assemble a winning cricket team. Maybe Ian Bell, or Alex Hales are more frustrated anyway. or Moeen Ali who has to watch him come and go. Downton doesn't know, or isn't saying. As ever, it's all about Alastair.

He then adds that he'll be surprised if Steely isn't reappointed skipper for the world cup at the weekend. You bet he will, seeing as that decision was made a long time ago.

Downton has obviously been at statsguru, because he can remember England winning a few games. Steely was in charge for the Champions League, which England didn't win in helpful home conditions two years ago. Since then, Cook's ODI side has lost to Australia, Australia, Sri lanka, India and Sri lanka. They lost before that as well, but that's nit picking. Maybe highlighting what wasn't even a win, and implying it was a success, and fading out all the defeats doesn't make a lot of logical sense.

He's out of form, but form can change... yes, but so could it for Carberry, Tremlett, Rankin, or any other player who has been dropped. Maybe even KP. But that was more about whistling. That wasn't about form. But at least we know normal standards don't apply for Steely.

Downton makes a very dodgy claim that other players have thrived under his captaincy. Dodgy why? Because Steely took no responsibility for the defeats and the bad form on his watch, particularly... well, all the defeats. There has been little else, apart from India's capitulation. But, you know, mainly that Ashes whitewash, for which a disinterested party got sacked. Downton says:

My job is not in the dressing room. I employ selectors to make decisions and I have absolutely not lost faith in them. On Friday I will attend the meeting and, if asked for my opinion, I will give it but I don’t have a vote.

So, Downton is in the selection meetings. He, personally, employs the selectors (the entitlement!) And he doesn't mention the veto he has over the captaincy.

He touches on criticisms Pietersen has of the running of the England team as a justification for sacking him. So we know how seriously his discontent was taken. The establishment goes on. Those critical of it must be first ruined, and then thrown out. Downton was right all along! The smug *******.

He enthuses about the regeneration of English cricket since the winter. Presumably the record LLWLL isn't represented as a temperature chart on the wall of his office.

Downton adds about Cook: he is due. That is something the fan says when all other hope has gone, and is said with self awareness that the comment is idiotic.

Over to you Alastair, your boss is in great form.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:18 am

Maybe there's a bit you hate that's special to you.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v ... 10581.html
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:07 pm

According to cricinfo, Giles Clarke is likely to lose his position in the new year. Collier has gone. Clarke's replacement, Colin Graves is said to be keen to cut back management posts. Surely most vulnerable are those created by Giles Clarke, or in his tenure. And that's Downton, Flower and Gatting. All of which, for me, are to be devoutly wished.

With Cook likely to go as ODI captain after the WC, and Moores unlikely to survive next year's congested fixture list, there is a possibility that the stables will be cleaned over the next 12 months.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:25 pm

They need to be too.

Too much cosy-old-pals syndrome at England HQ at present.

A new broom is just what is needed.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby rich1uk » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:39 pm

Aidan11 wrote:They need to be too.

A new axe is just what is needed.

fixed it for you ;)
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Aidan11 wrote:They need to be too.

A new broom is just what is needed.

Not just at national level, but also at grassroots and county level.

Grassroots participation is in serious decline and the domestic game is at a crossroad. By that I mean a messy schedule with games crammed in, a one day competition which changes format as often as ODI regulations, Twenty20 not being embraced compared to the likes of Australia, South Africa, West Indies and India.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:52 pm

More from Downton.

As Sri Lanka continued it just became clearer that he [Cook] wasn’t performing and if a plan’s not working you eventually have to change it. While it wasn’t my decision I completely endorse what the selectors have done because I think it gives us the best chance going into the World Cup.

Embarrassment doesn’t come into this.This is not about personalities, but about what’s best for English cricket. I am not embarrassed.

He had a dream to lead England in the World Cup and it’s been taken away from him. He still believes he is the right man for the job. He’s very raw and it’s a blow to have the captaincy taken away.

Curious to me that Cooky still feels that he's the best man for the job.

And curious that Downton so fervently believes sacking Cook is the best thing to do. Didn't he not think that at the weekend? Downton has been telling Cook he's the man for the job, in face of all the evidence, all year. And then the day before the squad was announced, it gives England a better chance with Morgan.

Didn't think I was going to feel sorry for Steely...

And curious that Downton doesn't feel embarrassed!
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:51 pm

When England car crash in the WC, you can bet your bottom dollar that Downton will feel vindicated in his desire to have wanted Cook retained.

He can't really lose, can he.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:06 am

Yes, a few will be jumping all over that. Like everyone thought there was a choice between Cook and the WC.

People don't even care much about the WC. We've just had enough of all the other stuff.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket