There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:47 pm

Anyway probably SA are not the best example to use, but personally think Sri Lanka and Pakistan are getting a raw deal. Do hope Sri Lanka don't play England lions this year, not sure Sri Lanka should play England lions and not get they young players tested in England against English players.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby sussexpob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:42 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:Surely the blame should go to the England board or players for not playing domestic cricket in South Africa.

Be nice to see how you can explain that using Indian, Pakistani or Sri Lanka or West Indies players but of course you can't.

India's last great team basically all had time playing in county cricket. Pakistan up until very recently had a huge heritage of playing in England. All of Sri Lanka's best players had long stints in county cricket.And name me a single legend from the Windies that hasnt played county cricket for at least a season. I literally couldnt name one player who didnt and played 10 tests for the Windies.

Indian's dont come to england because the IPL means they make so much money. This writes of the internationals who neither have the time nor need the money. And the rest arent good enough. Pakistan, I literally havent a clue why they dont come over more. They should. Sri Lanka is similar to India, their top international players are in IPL and dont have time, their players that arent are of no interest to counties.

County cricket has a lot of West Indians, but Kolpak has basically meant that those coming over do so throwing away their right to play for the Windies. Chris Jordan is a notable example, played for Barbados and ended up giving it up to have a crack in Surrey's second XI. They come for money and for coaching and opportunities in the 3 formats.

As for English players not going over to these countries. English players have gone to IPL. Pakistan is out of bounds for security reasons. The other formats wouldnt pay enough money
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:46 pm

If it was more practical, players would go, simply because they would have to for economic reasons. I remember Lawrence Booth saying that Mo Amir made the same money a series playing for Pakistan (£4000) than Ishant Sharma did for every single ball he bowled in the IPL in 2010 . Pakistan's central contracts were only worth £22000. So you can imagine any Pakistani who can would be trying to get county contracts.

South African central contracts are 5 times lower in value than their English counterparts.... so factor that into wages, even a lower end county pro playing second XI cricket is probably earning more than top players in SA. And SA cricketers make more money that SL and PAK and WI.

So yes.... to get English players to thse countries, you have to be prepared to almost self finance the trip.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Aidan11 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Fast bowlers dropping like flies.

It wouldn't surprise me if Broad picked up an "injury" soon.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Aidan11 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Let's face it who would want to go to Bangladesh at the moment?
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby Aidan11 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:03 pm

That's how Morgan should have played it. Tell them he was fully committed to tour then suddenly fall down a hole.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby sussexpob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:04 pm

Aidan11 wrote:That's how Morgan should have played it. Tell them he was fully committed to tour then suddenly fall down a hole.

Bit like soliders in 1916 trenches...

sussexpob

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:58 pm

Sussexpop not sure you get the point.
18 counties only 1 international allowed at a time in first class so only 18 allowed at a time add in the fact Aussies and SA are favored more because visa is easier and they basically are more open to coming here and the players are more trusted basically means the number of players else where can't come.

So county cricket will never be the same as an A tour pakistan, etc consider at tops 3-4 will get a county deal if that makes sense.
Misbah couldn't even get one and by reports loads of Pakistani players try every year for county cricket.

Really the point is simply England lions benefits 20-30 players, county cricket doesn't benefit the same amount of players of other countries excluding SA

Also the players you mention were part of the time when county cricket at a limit of 2 per game big difference. essentially 100 international players could play a season.

Really isn't that difficult to grasp this that the same amount of international players can't play county cricket essentially because of the current rules.

What happened 10 yrs or when ever doesn't apply now.
Highly doubt a spinner like bishan bedi can play 6 season for nprthants and take 266 wickets.

Really the main point is that county cricket can't be used as a finishing school if only 1 or 2 players can play it.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:15 pm

sussexpob wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:Surely the blame should go to the England board or players for not playing domestic cricket in South Africa.

Be nice to see how you can explain that using Indian, Pakistani or Sri Lanka or West Indies players but of course you can't.

Indian's dont come to england because the IPL means they make so much money. This writes of the internationals who neither have the time nor need the money. And the rest arent good enough. Pakistan, I literally havent a clue why they dont come over more. They should. Sri Lanka is similar to India, their top international players are in IPL and dont have time, their players that arent are of no interest to counties.

not sure that is true considering pujara, Harby, Gambhir, Aaron have all played county cricket, they actually quite open to play in england if the counties or if the money is right, in money terms doubt any players would say no since it is well paid, the only issue is the time and the commitment.
Sri lankan players would come in a heartbeat but not many are approached by the counties since they usually buy more trusted south africa or Australian player.

Really no sri lankan or pakistani player would say no to county cricket especially since they earn peanuts and at the moment no big sri lankan player earn much from ipl either.
Kusal mendis etc don't have ipl deals.

few reason why pakistan players don't come in.
One Visa issues makes them a hassle to sign essentially only the top pakistani players can be signed the rest won't get a permit, most aussies/SA use mother or European heritage to bypass this.
two counties love buying trusted players, they will hardly buy a sub C players unless he is a top quality player or they got some knowledge on him.
3 counties probably don't trust pakistani players after 2010 after kaneria counties have hardly signed the players.
think only really Wahab riaz played 4 days cricket, plus some of the top pakistani players tend to be interested in the t20 stuff.
Umar akmal in particular surprised me that he hasn't been approached yet for a county stint but guessing Blast, Carribean stuff is more important for him, can't be the money since he will get more money in england than playing carribean stuff.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:33 pm

sussexpob wrote:

wait are you just saying the counties don't want the sri lankan players that are probably in their A setup but since england lions hardly play 3 or 4 day games at home these players will hardly have a first class game while they are A players or young players.
but of course 2 or 3 players playing County cricket will be helping the sri lankan teams in future overseas series and england having winter after winter in the Sub C or other conditions is a fair deal.
probably boring the crap out of people, but is crazy how many people actually think county cricket is a fair deal.
I have no issues with county cricket, but is so annoying to hear people think county cricket is full of international players and more than 50 international players can play it in a season or most of the test playing nations players should participate not sure how that actually works considering only 18 international player can take part at a time and most time it is 15 or 13 with many counties not being able to afford them.

Can't remember which idiot on this forum said BCCI are being stupid for banning a lions or some camp in india during the 2012 tour which was in response to ECB banning india having some ipl training camps in Ireland and Scotland.
And apparently having 2 or 3 players in country cricket is the same as having 20-30 people in India with the English players improving their skills against the turning ball or slower pitches with indian players getting no benefit what so ever.

Anyway ECB are the one losing out considering more than half the boards want a reciprocal agreement and weirdly enough even the ECB think a reciprocal agreement work but of course the counties don't want it.

it is so brilliant England not having any warm up games in India, even more brilliant that it was England decision not to have one, at least now they can not make any petty excuses.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby braveneutral » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:43 am

Bhavesh it is tiring to have to constantly remind you about forum etiquette.

Not everyone is an idiot because they have a difference of opinion to you.

You would be best placed to read through things before you post.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:07 am

7.43? Late night?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby hopeforthebest » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:17 am

braveneutral wrote:Bhavesh it is tiring to have to constantly remind you about forum etiquette.

Not everyone is an idiot because they have a difference of opinion to you.

You would be best placed to read through things before you post.

I've given up trying to debate with Bhavesh it was just a waste of time.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby KipperJohn » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:50 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Pretty sure Tim's Test career is over.

Ditto Bell.
KipperJohn

Postby sussexpob » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:37 am

Thanks BN, but being called an idiot is the least of my worries, and I am more than capable of fighting my own battles. :thumb

If we want to take this downtown to street level, I am perfectly happy with that. I dont float like a butterfly, but I sting like a bulldozer landing on you from height..... :box

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket