The enigma that is Kevin Pietersen

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: The enigma that is Kevin Pietersen

Postby andy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:27 pm

i think he will get in over Willamson in a t20 side
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby shankycricket » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:45 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:i think he will get in over Willamson in a t20 side

Not really. Williamson had an excellent CLT20 last year and has been in terrific form. Morgan has never really done well in the IPL. Always gets owned by decent offspinners.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Aidan11 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:19 pm

Whatever you think of KP he does have a point here -

Kevin Pietersen KP24 3h3 hours ago
I was crucified for saying this for years...now the ENG captain is allowed to miss an international to play IPL
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Like breaking up Flower's job a few months after going on the offensive over KP wanting to retire from ODIs.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Graves shows excactly how to deal with the KP question. Don't be emotive, answer it straight and set a condition that KP won't meet.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Graves shows excactly how to deal with the KP question. Don't be emotive, answer it straight and set a condition that KP won't meet.

Not seen this story, but Graves isn't involved in selection. It's not his job to set an agenda for KP to come back. Obviously he should tell Downton to tell the selectors that everyone is available for selection.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:23 pm

Graves, who replaces Giles Clarke as ECB chairman in May, told BBC Five Live’s Sportsweek that the first thing the 34-year-old Pietersen must do “is play county cricket for somebody” in a bid to force the hands of the selectors. He later told the Telegraph: “If he does that and then comes out and scores a lot of runs they can’t ignore him I would have thought. But that is up to him. You can’t pick someone when he is not playing.”

Incredibly disingenuous comment from Graves. It totally ignores everything that has happened, and implies that KP's exile was self imposed. And doesn't touch on why he was sacked, why he should now be available for selection. This statement is Downtonesque. Even the alarming 'I would have thought'.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:28 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
Graves, who replaces Giles Clarke as ECB chairman in May, told BBC Five Live’s Sportsweek that the first thing the 34-year-old Pietersen must do “is play county cricket for somebody” in a bid to force the hands of the selectors. He later told the Telegraph: “If he does that and then comes out and scores a lot of runs they can’t ignore him I would have thought. But that is up to him. You can’t pick someone when he is not playing.”

Incredibly disingenuous comment from Graves. It totally ignores everything that has happened, and implies that KP's exile was self imposed. And doesn't touch on why he was sacked, why he should now be available for selection. This statement is Downtonesque. Even the alarming 'I would have thought'.

I'd have to disagree with you there Arthur. The comment is a clear statement that the personal politics that have gone on have no place in the management of the game.

England up till now have said there is no chance KP will ever play for England again, Graves saying he can't be ignored is the complete opposite of that.

As many on this thread have said, it is up to KP. He can swan round the world playing T20 and complaining, but if he wants any shot at playing for England he needs to be playing County cricket. That is his choice.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:29 pm

“This is not about money, it is about playing for England. The money I’m not interested in,” added Pietersen. “I will definitely want to speak to the ECB and let’s be clear, I want to play for the country. I’m sure that if it is genuine, which I’m sure it is seeing as it’s pretty public, then – goodness – I’d love to be given that opportunity again.”

If this is ill considered, hasty b*******, then this is out of order. KP would be giving up the career he pieced together in the absence of an England future. I find this vague public utterance from Graves really worrying.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:As many on this thread have said, it is up to KP. He can swan round the world playing T20 and complaining, but if he wants any shot at playing for England he needs to be playing County cricket. That is his choice.

Today it may be his choice, but yesterday it wasn't. I find it hard to understand how Graves can float this in an interview without talking to Pietersen, or even if he has discussed with other concerned parties. I find this of a piece with the debacle that started in the aftermath of Sydney.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:39 pm

Sorry, both those are quoted from the Guardian.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:56 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:As many on this thread have said, it is up to KP. He can swan round the world playing T20 and complaining, but if he wants any shot at playing for England he needs to be playing County cricket. That is his choice.

Today it may be his choice, but yesterday it wasn't. I find it hard to understand how Graves can float this in an interview without talking to Pietersen, or even if he has discussed with other concerned parties. I find this of a piece with the debacle that started in the aftermath of Sydney.

It was always his choice. There was no chance he was going to have a crack at England if he wasn't playing County cricket. He chose not to do so, and I doubt that he'll sign up to play on the promise he'll be considered.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:02 pm

It wasn't his choice. Read the whole of this thread for clarification... He was sacked and told he would never play for England again. I don't know why people don't believe the ECB when they said this in exactly so many words.

Reading Graves' statement, absolutely nothing has changed. He says it's up to the selectors. Which is where it stood yesterday. This is really heartless.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:09 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:It wasn't his choice. Read the whole of this thread for clarification... He was sacked and told he would never play for England again. I don't know why people don't believe the ECB when they said this in exactly so many words.

Reading Graves' statement, absolutely nothing has changed. He says it's up to the selectors. Which is where it stood yesterday. This is really heartless.

When Graves says that the selectors can't ignore KP, that's a big shift away from the consistant "No" we've heard.

It was KPs choice not to try and play county cricket, knowing full well that doing so would shut any doors that may open up in the future. Take Graves' comments in a context where he had played and scored heavily last year and it's pretty clear.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:

On the contrary, it was always his choice. Many would have chosen to show England what they were missing by playing rather than talking. In truth he chose the path that he always aspired to and the stupidity of the ECB's action simply gave him the role of the martyr.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket