England end KP's international career.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: England end KP's international career.

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:28 am

I do feel this has been blown a little out of proportion. As a broadcaster Strauss has made a error in judgement, as a person he has simply expressed an opinion.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Aidan11 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:31 am

Whatever his opinion of KP, you just can't say that word on a live tv sports programme. Had it been heard in the UK he may well have been in trouble. Not sure what time it was in Australia when he said it.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:35 am

Channel nine should look at signing up one of these two... or both!
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:40 am

Aidan11 wrote:Whatever his opinion of KP, you just can't say that word on a live tv sports programme. Had it been heard in the UK he may well have been in trouble. Not sure what time it was in Australia when he said it.

I watched the last 320 or so overs of the first innings, Aidan, and then went to bed about 11pm. I didn't hear it, so I assume it was during the MCC's innings, and probably after midnight.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Aidan11 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:44 am

GarlicJam wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:Whatever his opinion of KP, you just can't say that word on a live tv sports programme. Had it been heard in the UK he may well have been in trouble. Not sure what time it was in Australia when he said it.

I watched the last 320 or so overs of the first innings, Aidan, and then went to bed about 11pm. I didn't hear it, so I assume it was during the MCC's innings, and probably after midnight.

I think it must have been late in the second innings as that was when Strauss issued the apology. Could have been 2am by then.

Looks like Strauss got lucky.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:46 am

Making_Splinters wrote:I do feel this has been blown a little out of proportion. As a broadcaster Strauss has made a error in judgement, as a person he has simply expressed an opinion.

While I sort of agree, I think the former England captain calling one of the players he is asked to commentate on a *modded* on a family broadcast is a fairly startling turn of events. And I'm not sure him merely expressing an opinion quite captures the ferocity of the expression. It might help if Strauss put the view into some sort of context and allow a more nuanced picture of Kevin, as he sees him, to emerge.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby D/L » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:48 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I guess I thought an apology should have been enough for KP in 2012, and it should be enough now. Both intended their comments to be private. Both humiliated themselves by their comments, rather than their targets.

There may be parallels but Strauss's comments come without the effect of revealing weaknesses that may be exploited by an opposing team of players and without the same sense of betrayal.

I wouldn't be sorry to see Strauss lose his job at Sky, but I've always thought that.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:57 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:I do feel this has been blown a little out of proportion. As a broadcaster Strauss has made a error in judgement, as a person he has simply expressed an opinion.

While I sort of agree, I think the former England captain calling one of the players he is asked to commentate on a *modded* on a family broadcast is a fairly startling turn of events. And I'm not sure him merely expressing an opinion quite captures the ferocity of the expression. It might help if Strauss put the view into some sort of context and allow a more nuanced picture of Kevin, as he sees him, to emerge.

I don't think it is startling, we've all effed and blinded about someone at some stage. Strauss doing so in a proffesional envrioment is a little questionable in the first place, and being caught doing so is rather unfortunate.

Still, this will blow over. Somehow KP has come out of his sacking somewhat on the moral highground. Just show how spectacularly everyone else has ballsed up. Downton and Strauss could have kept quiet and he'd have been a footnote by now.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Aidan11 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:00 am

We still have KP's book to come yet.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:08 am

End of the day, is there anything worse a commentator can do live on the air than drop a seriously offensive word? Earlier comparisons to racism etc are apt, they are bad because they offend, and I know several people who despise that word particularly over any other.

To say this is not that bad is to concede a commentator cannot be sacked for anything imo. Routine proceedure for coverage is fiat broadcasts are shared i would think channel 9 would ignore the fact English people were watching if the aussies went to a break
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby D/L » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:08 am

SaintPowelly wrote:Keys and Gray insulted ALL Women, which is roughly 50% of the population, Strauss insulted 1 person, its not like he went on a tirade on live air.

2 incidents are completely different. SkySportsNews interviewed a guy who said "sh*tstorm" live on tele yesterday, David Lloyd was talking about Dolly Partons t*ts live on air last week with no backlash, this is a minor misdemeanor.

As I remember, Gray and Keys passed comment, whether jokingly or offensively depends upon one's own value set, on the ability of women to officiate at top level, professional soccer matches. It is probably simplistic and certainly an exaggeration to say they insulted all women when one considers it more carefully.

The two incidents are different. Strauss's comments would have caused offence simply because of his choice of vocabulary. To some, Gray's and Keys' comments may have held some truth when one takes into account inherent differences in average ability between the sexes in certain human activities. They were, however, "politically incorrect" and that is why they were sacked.
D/L

Postby D/L » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:47 am

Making_Splinters wrote:...Somehow KP has come out of his sacking somewhat on the moral highground. Just show how spectacularly everyone else has ballsed up. Downton and Strauss could have kept quiet and he'd have been a footnote by now.

Simply because the ECB seems to find it difficult to act with decorum doesn't detract at all from the shame that Pietersen brought upon himself.

A "plague on both their houses", and Piers Morgan's too, is probably a sentiment felt by many.
D/L

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:16 pm

sussexpob wrote:End of the day, is there anything worse a commentator can do live on the air than drop a seriously offensive word? Earlier comparisons to racism etc are apt, they are bad because they offend, and I know several people who despise that word particularly over any other.

That's a fair point. I know that many feel the word is offensive to women.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Aidan11 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:22 pm

I've known men who eff and jeff like it's just part of the English language who don't use that word.

Absolutely stunned Strauss used the word. Nick Knight I could understand but Strauss....
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby alfie » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Missed it myself ...had switched over to the Bike Race early on . Sort of regretting it now :) Not sure of the tone in which it was said ...

I doubt KP will lose sleep over being described so bluntly by his former skipper ( he had probably heard it directly from him in the past ! ) Not the ideal language for a public broadcast , of course. But Australians are fairly tolerant of strong language , in general , so there won't be too many letters to the editor about it.
Hope they don't toss him off air ; he is far from the worst commentator. And I'll bet he respects a "dead" microphone in future !
alfie

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket