Is Peter Moores the right man for the England Job

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Is Peter Moores the right man for the England Job

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:42 pm

sussexpob wrote:
More hyperbole, and half truths. Sutton was no great loss, nor was Loye. Overseas players come and go, it has been a long time since most counties had a player who was strongly tied to the club. Of course we won the Championship without Prince then were regated with him. Your comment about signings is, of course, complete nonsense. The funds were there for Moores to spend, he chose to buy in completely pointless signings and did nothing to fix the hole in the batting which most Lancashire fans had been pointing out for seasons.

From the clubs official website regarding the 2011 season....

The legal battle with Derwent nearly sapped the life out of the club, so much so that the club later admitted there were a couple of times they were not far away from running out of funds. There was certainly no money for any domestic signings, while overseas duo Farveez Maharoof and Junaid Khan could only arrive on “extremely modest terms

Making_Splinters wrote:As for the the bowling being "propped" up, Chapple is still one of the highest regarded bowlers in England, Keedy had been a fine performer for decades and was right through till his last season with us. Hogg and Kerrigan are two names which are some what missing from your tale.

Kerrigan - Was given his county chance by Moores

Hogg - Had taken 70 wickets @ 40 in 8 seasons before Moores joined..... after 189 wickets @ 24 under Moores...... in fact, Moores has been credited as the man who got the potential out of Hogg

Chapple - I thought it was an established known that the reason why Chapple hasn't lost any pace and continues to bowl at 40 is the fact that Moores has managed his limited overs workload, and made sure he worked hard to get the fitness going? Certainly someone at Cricinfo said so at the end of last year.

Still trying to lay all that's good at the feet of Moores.

I wonder what other revolutionary insights Moores had after picking second team players for the first team and realising that senior players need to be managed. Surely no one can come close to him for the England job with ground breaking ideas such as these?

As for the money side of things. There was money to be spent, that's how the likes of Maharoof and Khan arrived, simple really. There was no money for domestic signing because it was spent on Maharoof and Kahn, or the likes of Naqaash Tahir in later years.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby sussexpob » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:08 pm

As for the money side of things. There was money to be spent, that's how the likes of Maharoof and Khan arrived, simple really. There was no money for domestic signing because it was spent on Maharoof and Kahn, or the likes of Naqaash Tahir in later years.

Not true. Watkinson said they had a squad of 16 and signed both on the basis that they were "very modest" in their wage demands. They had written off getting an English professional in because they were too expensive.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:11 pm

There is obviously an extreme to both arguments, but for you to so blissfully destroy the man without even paying a single regard to the situation he was in, and the successes he brought despite that situation, is quite frankly, bonkers!!

While Pompey obviously loves Moores, and I obviously have a certain soft spot for him, I do not think that is anything to do with what I have said. His spat with KP took away any balance in the argument that I would have had.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:02 pm

sussexpob wrote:

There is obviously an extreme to both arguments, but for you to so blissfully destroy the man without even paying a single regard to the situation he was in, and the successes he brought despite that situation, is quite frankly, bonkers!!

While Pompey obviously loves Moores, and I obviously have a certain soft spot for him, I do not think that is anything to do with what I have said. His spat with KP took away any balance in the argument that I would have had.

Destroy? Simply temper and start getting rid of the notion that our Championship win was some how Moores' grand success. He's done some good things along the way such as signing Prince and Kat, but you won't find many Lancashire supporters singing his praise from the rafters and for good reason.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby pompeymeowth » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:03 pm

I guess I'm at one extreme then! The truth is probably as it usually is, somewhere in the middle. One question I would ask of Lancashire fans though is, do you think that Lancashire would have won the CC with a different man at the helm?

Look to Sussex's history, we got relegated too after winning in 2003, came straight back up and went on to win another 2 CC's and more besides. Robbo has obviously learnt much from Moores too, especially the ability of taking on players, who for whatever reason were overlooked by almost everybody else and giving them a second lease of life, Chad Keegan excepted! (Sorry Chad)
pompeymeowth

Team(s) Supported: Sussex. Cruzeiro and Pompey of course.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:08 pm

Surprised that, with the calibre of candidate going for the job, Robbo wasn't mentioned considering he won the CC twice.

sussexpob

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:14 pm

pompeymeowth wrote:I guess I'm at one extreme then! The truth is probably as it usually is, somewhere in the middle. One question I would ask of Lancashire fans though is, do you think that Lancashire would have won the CC with a different man at the helm?

Look to Sussex's history, we got relegated too after winning in 2003, came straight back up and went on to win another 2 CC's and more besides. Robbo has obviously learnt much from Moores too, especially the ability of taking on players, who for whatever reason were overlooked by almost everybody else and giving them a second lease of life, Chad Keegan excepted! (Sorry Chad)

No, however I also don't think if you ran the 2011 season again with Moores at the helm we'd win it.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby pompeymeowth » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:38 pm

That's a good answer MS.
pompeymeowth

Team(s) Supported: Sussex. Cruzeiro and Pompey of course.

Postby captaincolly » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:13 pm

@Aggerscricket: ECB bringing announcement of new coach forward to tomorrow morning
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:14 pm

captaincolly wrote:@Aggerscricket: ECB bringing announcement of new coach forward to tomorrow morning

I imagine Giles already has the Champers on ice.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Dunno. Moores has had a lot of positive press. I'd guess Giles though.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby hopeforthebest » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:12 pm

If giles gets the job Aidan wont be able to contain himself, best I stay low for a few days. :lol:
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby captaincolly » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Dunno. Moores has had a lot of positive press. I'd guess Giles though.

Apparently Aggers accidentally tweeted ( then deleted the tweet he intended as a private message) that it's Moores. Whether that's just his hunch or he's been told something remains to be seen.
captaincolly

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:20 pm

What happened to the scoop. Feels like the press actually work for the ECB.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby captaincolly » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:43 pm

Mike Atherton's article in The Times this morning implied it could be Moores with Mark Robinson or Paul Farbrace as his assistant. Hard to tell though whether that's what Mike expects to happen or if it's just his opinion on what should happen.
captaincolly

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket