Jonathan Trott's stress illness

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Jonathan Trott's stress illness

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:22 pm

As a centrally contracted player it is the ECBs responcibility to be looking out for him and ensuring he gets the help and support he needs. If he had not been a centrally contracted player then it would be the county I would be questioning.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby D/L » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Edward Mills Grace wrote:...but quite simply, Michael Vaughan, hearing that you're "Very sad and wish him a full recovery" is not enough, we should be hearing very humble apology for completely misjudging both the situation and the man.

To be fair, in saying he felt "conned", Vaughan was referring to the information put out by the ECB at the time of Trott's withdrawal from the tour and how later it seemed not to stand up to scrutiny.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby SaintPowelly » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:54 pm

I don't see how the ECB can be blamed, no-one held a gun to Trotts head and forced him to play last week.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby D/L » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:56 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:
Edward Mills Grace wrote:I hope though that they keep the central contract open for a year-even if he plays not a single game this season - or at least until Jonathan tells them he's not available any more.

Not that I disagree with you, but with this wouldn't you then run the risk of Trott feeling a pressure to return ?

It would be a nonsense to continue a contract that only one party feels able to fulfil.

The ECB is not a charitable institution and I can't see Trott starving as a result of his contract being cancelled.
D/L

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:06 pm

D/L wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:
Edward Mills Grace wrote:I hope though that they keep the central contract open for a year-even if he plays not a single game this season - or at least until Jonathan tells them he's not available any more.

Not that I disagree with you, but with this wouldn't you then run the risk of Trott feeling a pressure to return ?

It would be a nonsense to continue a contract that only one party feels able to fulfil.

The ECB is not a charitable institution and I can't see Trott starving as a result of his contract being cancelled.

Cancelling a contract because a player is battling with health issues, that sounds vaugely illegal and certainly unethical.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Surely reasonably to point out the ECB have some responsibility in this case, as they've been managing IJLT's condition in recent times. And it fits into a pattern of many things going wrong for England off the pitch in recent times. And on the pitch.

Being employers the ECB certainly do, more so when David Warner realised Trott wasn't at it's best in Australia.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby D/L » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:03 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
D/L wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:

Cancelling a contract because a player is battling with health issues, that sounds vaugely illegal and certainly unethical.

Based upon what we are told, "health issues" is a moot point.

Far from being illegal, no contract is enforceable by one party if that party cannot fulfil his obligations and that applies to people under contract in a wide range of professions.
D/L

Postby m@tt » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:43 pm

If a player suffered a serious injury not long after the awarding of a central contract (how long was Simon Jones out for after his first knee injury?), would the ECB rip up the contract? To use your language, D/L, such a player would not be able to fulfil his obligations. Of course, the difference between a physical injury and a mental condition is difficult to really get to grips with (and I don't profess to be able to do so).

When it comes to the "real world", people can have a certain amount of time for sick leave - though I'm sure some extra discretion can come in. After that, the sick days are effectively holidays. With Trott, it's slightly different in that his central contract is his base pay level - if he keeps his contract, he will still miss out on appearance and performance fees, win bonuses, etc.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby SaintPowelly » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:57 pm

I thought the central contracts for this year were yet to be announced, hence my opinion about not pressuring him, if hes already been given one then it shouldn't be cancelled.
SaintPowelly

Postby m@tt » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:01 pm

They run from September to September: http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/england/engla ... ts-2013-14
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby SaintPowelly » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:05 pm

m@tt wrote:They run from September to September: http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/england/engla ... ts-2013-14

My mistake then, I thought it was start of the season, so April-April.
SaintPowelly

Postby sussexpob » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:24 pm

The ecb have a lot to answer. To be fair a sports physchologist, of which at least one works with every sports team, should be able to pick through the bs of a mentally unwell man in seconds. They are trained to do so, they are trained to respond to hyperbole, to see through words. A couple of well placed questions and most people crumble.

Can you hide it? Absolutely not. To become a problem that results in leaving work is the coming to head of probably months, maybe years of soul searching.

People who suffer from these conditions act erratically or may suddenly act unusual at times or in situations.

I don't believe for a second no one thought anythinh was wrong, or that he could have a medical professional buy the fact his anxiety disappeared instantly after two weeks. This is not hindsight, said this at the start
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby D/L » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:05 am

sussexpob wrote:The ecb have a lot to answer. To be fair a sports physchologist, of which at least one works with every sports team, should be able to pick through the bs of a mentally unwell man in seconds. They are trained to do so, they are trained to respond to hyperbole, to see through words. A couple of well placed questions and most people crumble.

Can you hide it? Absolutely not. To become a problem that results in leaving work is the coming to head of probably months, maybe years of soul searching.

People who suffer from these conditions act erratically or may suddenly act unusual at times or in situations.

I don't believe for a second no one thought anythinh was wrong, or that he could have a medical professional buy the fact his anxiety disappeared instantly after two weeks. This is not hindsight, said this at the start

Or perhaps he'd never faced anyone like Johnson before and decided he didn't like it.
D/L

Postby D/L » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:11 am

m@tt wrote:If a player suffered a serious injury not long after the awarding of a central contract (how long was Simon Jones out for after his first knee injury?), would the ECB rip up the contract? To use your language, D/L, such a player would not be able to fulfil his obligations. Of course, the difference between a physical injury and a mental condition is difficult to really get to grips with (and I don't profess to be able to do so).

When it comes to the "real world", people can have a certain amount of time for sick leave - though I'm sure some extra discretion can come in. After that, the sick days are effectively holidays. With Trott, it's slightly different in that his central contract is his base pay level - if he keeps his contract, he will still miss out on appearance and performance fees, win bonuses, etc.

As you say m@tt, physical ailments are more easily treated and difficult to dispute.

Not all people are entitled to sick leave in the "real world", the self-employed, for example. Most, though, will have insured against most forms of incapacity. I'd be surprised if the ECB had no such scheme to cover their players, though proving entitlement to the satisfaction of the insurer may be difficult in some cases.
D/L

Postby sussexpob » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:05 am

D/l

Clearly your comment about Mitchell Johnson uncovers a complete lack of understanding. Think of it in terms of a metal in physics. If you load a weight onto a substance even way below a stress level it can cope with, continued loading of small amount of stress can produce cracks eventually due to creep.

The human mind works the same way. You can deal with stress levels through normal life but if all you are dealing with all the time is stress, cracks start to appear. Stress can start to make people think differently, they start to question themselves and because the mind strengthens consistent thought patterns, it creates default negativity in a person who does not escape stress, and thinking about the stress only strengthens the emotion.

At this point you tip the balance. Stress also has physical results on the body, your mind feels negativity and feels like it needs to fight an invisible demon, and starts to create physical mechanisms to help you. In reality though this means you body releases adrenalin, your breathing picks up, heart rate increases and you feel light headed. Most people haven't a clue what is happening and think they are about to have a stroke or a heart attack, or something is wrong with their body. Most diagnosis of serious stress related or anxiety related issues is by a doctor in an emergency room telling a person the symptoms are not real, and it's self created.

At that point the person is left pretty confused and exhausted. Far from helping, such a result is to leave the person thinking they are going insane and that they can no longer control their mind, and that cycles into even worse stress reactions that spiral out of control at this point, and usually result in total social exclusion.

The idea that such an issue happened because of a few bouncers is totally dumb, totally ignorant and offensive.

As I said before, it's testament to trotts bravery that he even picked up his bat and walked out. If you don't care to understand then please don't comment. It's hurtful to those that have tackled similar issues that your comments are so flippant and misinformed.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket