Jonathan Trott's stress illness

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Jonathan Trott's stress illness

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:49 pm

Harmi seems to be judging Trotty by his own struggles, on and off the field in 06-7. But I'm not sure you can do that. Just because Steve saw it through, doesn't mean IJLT could, or should have been expected to. What Harmi does describe is how unclear the situation still is.

He implies that he won't be welcome in the dressing room. Yet Trott was seen off home with a great deal of sympathy. Does Harmi know this? It may be that the dressing room feels it has moved on, but has it, with the team in flux? Trott scoring runs and helping the team not lose would be great for the dressing room.

A mess that Steve (or I!) hasn't made any clearer.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby captaincolly » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:15 pm

I think Harmison is still smarting from the homesickness jibes that were thrown at him during his career and maybe feels he was treated unfairly and that might explain his unusually strident comments.
I would be surprised if anyone in the dressing room is anything other than supportive of Trott but it's impossible to know for sure without also knowing exactly what was going on during the tour.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby sussexpob » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:43 pm

captaincolly wrote:Harmison's opinion on Trott's Ashes exit:
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/cr ... ck-6865872

Where did this "the dressing room must answer all" crap come from? If Trott is on form and healthy then he plays, and I strictly couldnt give a toss whether or not Ian Bell or James Anderson think about it.

At this rate the selectors will short list 50 players for each test, with an alternative voting system being given to each whether by they list their preferences for six potential team mates.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Chris Tremlett describes a very compliant dressing room here.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/m ... and-surrey
Arthur Crabtree

Postby KipperJohn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:50 pm

sussexpob wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Harmison's opinion on Trott's Ashes exit:
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/cr ... ck-6865872

Where did this "the dressing room must answer all" crap come from? If Trott is on form and healthy then he plays, and I strictly couldnt give a toss whether or not Ian Bell or James Anderson think about it.

At this rate the selectors will short list 50 players for each test, with an alternative voting system being given to each whether by they list their preferences for six potential team mates.

Not sure why you've singled out Bell and Anderson - I suspect they'll be more concentrated on their own form than to worry about who else is playing. I've heard no comments from Bell about Trott or KP for that matter - hopefully he's got more sense. He doesn't appear to me to be the sort to stick his head over the parapet. Anderson is probably a bit more forthright, but with England currently without a coach, runs and wickets will count for more than comments in the media - or should do.

Anyway, the dressing room only exists once the team's been selected, and after the Ashes performance nobody in that squad's got any bragging rights to speak of.

I'm still unimpressed with the nonsense about KP's 're-integration' - never heard such a lot of tosh. The captain (Strauss) should have given him a private '*********** and got on with it. Like a bunch of fifth formers with a dozy headmaster.
KipperJohn

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:57 pm

The Mirror is claiming that Kirsten turned the job down because the ECB wouldn't let him make decisions such as the one they came to over Pietersen. Surely the most sought after coaches wouldn't want that kind of impediment imposed upon them?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:20 am

Not sure why you've singled out Bell and Anderson

Random squad names, not saying that either has spoken out or would.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby D/L » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:28 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:The Mirror is claiming that Kirsten turned the job down because the ECB wouldn't let him make decisions such as the one they came to over Pietersen. Surely the most sought after coaches wouldn't want that kind of impediment imposed upon them?

What they probably really wouldn't have wanted was Pietersen's corrosive presence in the dressing room. There was talk of Kirsten's taking the job well before Pietersen's sacking. Kirsten may have thought that trying to manage Pietersen was part of the job description. Why wouldn't he turn it down?
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:44 am

D/L wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:The Mirror is claiming that Kirsten turned the job down because the ECB wouldn't let him make decisions such as the one they came to over Pietersen. Surely the most sought after coaches wouldn't want that kind of impediment imposed upon them?

What they probably really wouldn't have wanted was Pietersen's corrosive presence in the dressing room. There was talk of Kirsten's taking the job well before Pietersen's sacking. Kirsten may have thought that trying to manage Pietersen was part of the job description. Why wouldn't he turn it down?

While KP is the specific example people will draw on, I think even from a general level he probably didn't want to take the job with the knowledge that the Captain and a few suits had more influence on what happens then he can.

sussexpob

Postby D/L » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:23 pm

sussexpob wrote:
D/L wrote:

While KP is the specific example people will draw on, I think even from a general level he probably didn't want to take the job with the knowledge that the Captain and a few suits had more influence on what happens then he can.

That's probably the case wherever one coaches international cricket. I couldn't see the BCCI, for example, not wishing to exert a degree of influence over anyone on their payroll.
D/L

Postby sussexpob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:32 am

Posted on the KP thread also...

KP coming out to say that he was the first to notice Trott was in a bad way

“I could see it, I just went to help him and said to him, ‘You just need to calm down a little bit, you’re putting too much pressure on yourself. Let’s see if there’s anything we can do.’ "Look, I really like Trotty. Contrary to popular belief I actually have a really good relationship with most of the guys in the [England] dressing room. "So for Trotty, I like to look after him and when I see him struggling – or I see anybody struggling – I’ll go and put an arm around them and see if they’re OK.

“I think the key to being successful is that the management, the captain certainly, understands each player and lets every single individual be themselves. I think it’s really important to do that – not set strict guidelines. It’s about enjoying the environment and getting the best out of each individual.”

sussexpob

Postby D/L » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:34 am

Just what you'd expect from a nice guy.

No PR going on here at all?
D/L

Postby sussexpob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:38 am

D/L wrote:Just what you'd expect from a nice guy.

No PR going on here at all?

Its clear that Trott and him get on. Before the Brisbane Test match we are talking about, Trott said this about KP

He’s been brilliant for us. He’s worked extremely hard at his game and is always keen to help everyone out. I don’t think he gets enough credit from the press or the people that don’t know him. They seem to have this image of him in their heads, this perception, but he’s not like that at all. He’s very caring. He cares a lot about cricket and he loves the game.

It’s not about whatever else comes with the success for Kev; cricket is number one for him and everything else becomes secondary once the Test matches start. I can see how people sometimes might think that he gets a little bit distracted because he’s got so much going on, but let me tell you, when he gets in those nets, or trains, or plays a match, he forgets about everything else and focuses solely on cricket.

The rest of us don’t play like Kev. He’s unique

sussexpob

Postby m@tt » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Trott is taking another break from cricket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/con ... 37793.html

Think that has put paid to any chance of an international recall, but the more important thing is for him to get well again.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby ddb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:20 pm

"Photographers have been found lurking in his garden and outside his daughter's school since his return from Australia."

:|
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket