Random Cricket Thread (International Cricket)

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Random Cricket Thread (International Cricket)

Postby ddb » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:38 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
dan08 wrote:No way there will be a Champions Trophy without India.

why?

All the India games sold out so fast. Not the other games. Even England games were still available after the ballot.

I think it's too big a hit to lose India, way too big.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:13 pm

india won't pull out the consequences for ICC and BCCI is too high.
officials were saying it would cost 5000 Crore Rupees if they pull out, ECB and ICC would destroy BCCI in legal battles in top of a possible PCB compensation for missing bilateral games recently.
what is likely to happen is BCCI will pull out women world cup and send a very weaken indian team that will affect attendances, sponsorship and money for ICC and all the boards.
Although at the moment BCCI don't really know what they will be doing but suspect they will going to respond strongly especially since reports states the ICC meeting was very heated.
BCCI was very surprised of how their usual tactics of bribing boards didn't work.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:21 pm

http://anandoncricket.com/2017/04/28/hu ... od-no-one/
good blog this.
"f implemented — and it seems unlikely that India will take the extreme step of pulling out of the Champions Trophy — the knock-on effects have the potential to be disastrous. For starters, this formula disincentivises India from playing international cricket, especially multi-nation tournaments. It further encourages India to expand the Indian Premier League, not merely in terms of number of teams, but in duration and scope. A supplementary tournament, a mini-IPL overseas in September has been on the cards for the longest time, and now it is certain to be rolled out."

"What’s more, handing out larger chunks of the pie to other countries empowers each to set up franchise-based Twenty20 leagues. While the IPL leads the pack, Australia’s Big Bash League is growing stronger by the edition, and both England and South Africa have grand designs for their own leagues."

"If this sounds unduly alarmist, consider the fact that even when only one genuinely cash-rich T20 league was around, Chris Gayle, he of two Test triple-hundreds, all but turned his back on the West Indies and has racked up more than 10000 runs in nearly 300 T20 games all around the world. Look at the challenge South Africa face in keeping Ab de Villiers happy. Having ruled himself out of Test cricket for almost all of 2017, de Villiers did not have a second thought about turning out for the Royal Challengers Bangalore. And, how could he, given the money involved?"
"t is true that all was not well with cricket. But what Manohar and the ICC have done is not merely killing the goose that lays the golden eggs, but having done so denying the rightful owner his pound of flesh. Being able to administer chemotherapy to cure a life-threatening illness is an admirable skill to have. But more important is the wisdom not to deploy it on someone who merely has the flu. Manohar believes he has saved cricket from the BCCI. It is, however, unclear whether the game needed saving in the first place, and equally crucially, whether there will be anything left worth saving once he is done and dusted."

Think someone said early how the reaction would be if india pulled out of champions trophy, in india most of the media been on the BCCI side and most fans haven't been supporting ICC on this either.
not sure they would be a bad reaction in the public if the team pulls out.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:56 pm

There's no sense of a middle ground here that I can find. Looking around the internet, those who identify as Indian or Indian supporters think the BCCI is right. Those who are from the other Test nations, think they are wrong. Without exception. Some are angrier than others, but the line is clear. People are not seeing the other side of the argument.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Definitely no right answer or middle ground here,
basically a coup by the other full member or no money for the Associates.
I suppose the coup could be seen as being fairer with most of the member getting the same amount but if you feel that you bring most of the money you are not exactly going to like ECB/CA basically conning you out of money that you feel entitled to.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby braveneutral » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:07 am

India should send a 'Masters' squad.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby sussexpob » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:55 am

Considering the BCCI is a governing body that exists solely to administrate cricket in India, and are a registered charity that only recently started paying tax at any level, I am struggling to see where the need for this money comes from.

On last figures (from 2013, since revenues have rised but can find an exact figure) the IPL is worth about 90 million USD profit per year to the BCCI. Roughly, their TV contract with Murdoch is 6 or 7 times as much over a period of six years, so lets say they get the same amount as IPL per year. They have been offered 450 million dollars a year from the ICC as a final offer I believe. They get 42 million dollars from Nike to sponser. So all in all, we are what, 700 odd million USD per year revenue to burn through? They pay wages of around 250-300k to their top contract earners. So even after a squad is paid, we have 690 million to burn through.

Going on gdp per capita, this would equate to the wage cost of employing roughly half a million people. Of course, they dont employ anywhere near that, so can someone tell please, where this money goes?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:19 am

As for the case in hand...

The BCCI might do well to remember their biggest asset is an idea stole from the ECB, used icc and other sanctioning boards power to help monopolise their market once they were beaten to the punch, and only flourishes due to the involvement from international players, most of the time legally bound to other organizations and only playing on the kindness of other members....but yeah, the ECB and CA definitely conning the BCCI.

I'd be inclined to do this.... no India CT gets named, then I'd strip their sanctioning status, I'd give a global ban to any player playing in a non sanctioned BCCI game, I'd setup a rival board as a non profit organization paying all financial excesses back to the players for first ten years as a shared bond, in hope it attracts talent. And then I'd watch this terrible and corrupt organisation die before my eyes.

I'm tired of cricket being all money and politics
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:35 am

Same thing could be said of why ECB or CA need the extra money.
plus using BCCI to make the big 3 deal and then couple of year later stabbing BCCI in the back and still more or less keeping the money is a bit of using BCCI no for the extra finances that ECB or CA wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby sussexpob » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:39 am

bhaveshgor wrote:Same thing could be said of why ECB or CA need the extra money.
plus using BCCI to make the big 3 deal and then couple of year later stabbing BCCI in the back and still more or less keeping the money is a bit of using BCCI no for the extra finances that ECB or CA wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Dont get me started on the ECB, Bhavi. This isnt an anti Indian thing, all these boards a run by pirates.....

But the Big three thing was a disaster, so I am not going to sit here and slag off any attempts to bin it.

sussexpob

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:48 am

sussexpob wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:Same thing could be said of why ECB or CA need the extra money.

Dont get me started on the ECB, Bhavi. This isnt an anti Indian thing, all these boards a run by pirates.....

But the Big three thing was a disaster, so I am not going to sit here and slag off any attempts to bin it.

TBH I feel this deal is the same as the big 3 anyway, if anything it is worse considering BCCI feels hard done by and they could do anything crazy to show its power or how much money it makes.
Although suspect many people would like the idea of BCCI being banned and a new board formed, although if that happened would prefer if all 11 boards including ICC are disbanded and cricket can start again.
You will never get politics out of cricket unless you actually get rid of the stupid rules in place at ICC circles.
even if BCCI goes another india board could use and just be corrupt and power mad as the past, or ECB/CA could take BCCI place and be corrupt just to big up the bash and English T20 league.
it will need a fundamental change in the way ICC works for corruption and politics to leave the sport.
Last edited by Dr Cricket on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby sussexpob » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:51 am

I just posted on the Indian CT thread some thoughts about the BCCI. I honestly dont see how they exist in 1-2 years time the way its going. They are making enemies in cricket, enemies of the Indian legal system, enemies of their appointed legislators....

They are goin full bandit and seem to want a war. Got too big for their boots and might found out the hard way very soon

sussexpob

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:00 am

sussexpob wrote:I just posted on the Indian CT thread some thoughts about the BCCI. I honestly dont see how they exist in 1-2 years time the way its going. They are making enemies in cricket, enemies of the Indian legal system, enemies of their appointed legislators....

They are goin full bandit and seem to want a war. Got too big for their boots and might found out the hard way very soon

yeah should be an interesting couple of years.
hopefully it doesn't damage cricket, considering we are at a very delicate stage of where most members are looking at a big Domestic T20 league.
You really need all members to work together and come up with how most members can have T20 league and still have international games and that only really going to happen if BCCI are in board not trying to screw everyone over by having 1 very long IPL and a short ipl overseas in September.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby sussexpob » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:05 am

Everyone has a lot to lose and so little to gain.

sussexpob

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:24 am

sussexpob wrote:Everyone has a lot to lose and so little to gain.

yeah which is why I was actually surprised member were goading and actually allowing BCCI to lose it especially when you considering Giles Clarke point few years ago was the big 3 deal was created so BCCI has more central role in ICC and it was better for them playing a central role in the decision than being in the outside and always fighting stuff.

not really sure what the other full members are getting out of this now.
they only really winning if BCCI accept the proposals and be nice, they losing big time if BCCI go in a warpath probably likely to lose everything as well if BCCI takes everyone down with them.
the other members must be pretty sure BCCI are dead with all the legal battles in india otherwise they wouldn't really behave this way with BCCI recently.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket