Ben Stokes

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Ben Stokes

Postby meninblue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:34 am

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2016-17/content/story/1079068.html

"It's nice to come out here and perform decently I think in alien conditions," he said. "There's still improvement [to be made, things] I want to correct with the ball. I've been very expensive over the last many series' we've been playing. Consistency is the thing I'm trying to work on, because any sign of a bad ball and the top players in the world are going to pounce on it and punish you, which has been shown not just by our bowling but our batsmen have managed to do that to the Indian bowlers as well. Consistency with the bowling hopefully will come, but it's not through lack of trying and hard work."
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Ben is finally bought by Pune Super Giants. Smith is captain for Pune.

I was anticipating he would be sold in range of 8.5 to 11 crores. Proved to be wrong as he got whooping 3.5 crores more. Most of the crores were for cricketing purpose , although some crores have been given for marketing value of this cricketer.

Some section of cricket related England media will crib as they did when KP got a huge contract as well. Ben Stokes selection will provoke similar criticism as well from the very few who cant see in demand players earn more than them. But top most wanted England cricketers have earned their spots in global tournaments. Welcome Ben Stokes.

Ben Stokes on IPL selection
I did a bit of media around that announcement and then the excitement was building towards to the IPL auction.

I tried to watch it live on a stream but it wasn’t working so I had to follow it on Twitter! There were so many tweets on it that it was hard to keep up and I was awake from about 03:30. Then I had another hour’s sleep before I was up with the kids!

I’m really pleased now that it’s sorted and it’s started to sink in. I’ve been talking about it with Neil Fairbrother for the last three years or so – I really trust his opinion - and we felt this was the time to go for it. The excitement is huge, it’s the biggest franchise competition in the world with all of the biggest and best players involved.

I can’t wait to get over there and meet everyone at Rising Pune Supergiants and I’m really grateful to them for giving me this opportunity. In terms of cricket experience, it will only do me the world of good.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Ben Stokes has an econ of over 9 in T20I, has never scored a 50, and averages in both discipline poorly.

His county record of nearly 9 an over with the ball and a lack of wickets, combined with a bat average of a useful but hardly noticeable 20 runs per innings...

There must be 100s of players who pune could have got who are better.

Stokes at no stage has proven himself worthy of a T20I cap for England, let alone this staggering valuation.

His only not worthy contribution was to single handed lose his side a world cup by bottling it.

He's a useless limited overs bowler and a flash in the pan bar that never makes big scores that change matches
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Ravi?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:08 pm

sussexpob wrote:Ben Stokes has an econ of over 9 in T20I, has never scored a 50, and averages in both discipline poorly.

His county record of nearly 9 an over with the ball and a lack of wickets, combined with a bat average of a useful but hardly noticeable 20 runs per innings...

Stokes at no stage has proven himself worthy of a T20I cap for England, let alone this staggering valuation.

His only not worthy contribution was to single handed lose his side a world cup by bottling it.

He's a useless limited overs bowler and a flash in the pan bar that never makes big scores that change matches

Colin de Grandhomme with a base price of 50 lakh, who went unsold. He's just as Box Office as Ben Stokes.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby meninblue » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:01 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:
sussexpob wrote:Ben Stokes has an econ of over 9 in T20I, has never scored a 50, and averages in both discipline poorly.

Colin de Grandhomme with a base price of 50 lakh, who went unsold. He's just as Box Office as Ben Stokes.

Bens IPL deal has spread in cricketing fraternity at speed of light. It will attract more viewership, the revenue of which is going to be lot x times higher than 14 crores from England viewers alone. Advertisement agenciea would also look to book slots for adverts as IPL attracts more viewers in England due to Ben news making it more popular. The money Ben got is huge but IPLwill fetch huge profit due to this investment in star anf very marketable player. IPL jas invested14.5 crores in him and he will reward IPL with few x times the profit on his own. Win win situation for Ben and IPL.

Afghan selections arr also strategic of pushing IPL. No wonder IPL books are good on profit every year. They are using good strategical investments.
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:20 am

Don't get too excited about the UK market. It's on Sky and the audience will be tiny.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby meninblue » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 am

It will certainly help broadcasters to increase advert rates. More international playrrs also mean IPL can invrease broadcast rights.In fact they are lit more this year onwards.
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Just to put it into perspective, I remember reading that a 1970s rerun of Colombo attracted more viewers in 30 minutes than tuned in to watch England's final day of their first test Ashes win, spread over many hours.

Domestic T20 produced it's worst figures, and IPL on freeview was apparently falling to nothing by 15/16

Ben Stokes playing will not do a thing for viewing figures. In fact, why the hell would anyone tune into watch a crap bowler and batsman that lasts on average 8 balls?

Martin Guptill barely scraped a contract, and he averages 20 more at the same pace and has something like 40 T20 50s. Corey Anderson is getting 15 times less and is a better all-rounder.

Why would broadcasters go mad for inferior players?

I'd suggest if India viewers want to see more inferior players then this is crazy
Nothing justifies this wage
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:10 pm

The English game easily lends itself to hype, which is odd because the game isn't watched that widely. I'd include the ECB PR machine, the supporters and the media in fuelling this, probably not so much the players. And so often the hype proves unrealistic and yet the process begins again. The opposite to this are NZ. Yet as the WC clocks around, Bell, Morgan, Hales etc will be at home putting their feet up while someone like Grant Elliott is unexpectedly dragging NZ to the latter stages of the WC. So if Stokes, Root, Buttler and Woakes fizzle out in the next WC and Santner, de Grandhomme, Broom, Neesham and Anderson get the Kiwis into the last four, I won't be surprised.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:47 am

sussexpob wrote:Just to put it into perspective, I remember reading that a 1970s rerun of Colombo attracted more viewers in 30 minutes than tuned in to watch England's final day of their first test Ashes win, spread over many hours.

Domestic T20 produced it's worst figures, and IPL on freeview was apparently falling to nothing by 15/16

Ben Stokes playing will not do a thing for viewing figures. In fact, why the hell would anyone tune into watch a crap bowler and batsman that lasts on average 8 balls?

Martin Guptill barely scraped a contract, and he averages 20 more at the same pace and has something like 40 T20 50s. Corey Anderson is getting 15 times less and is a better all-rounder.

Why would broadcasters go mad for inferior players?

I'd suggest if India viewers want to see more inferior players then this is crazy
Nothing justifies this wage

Because Ben Stokes is the England poster boy despite being a bottler in the World T20 Final amongst behavioural issues and cheating in a domestic T20 match. The media love a poster boy, wanting their next Andrew Flintoff or Ian Botham and Stokes fits the bill. Somehow the IPL have fallen for this hook, line and sinker.

Whereas the above New Zealand players are not poster boys for the Blackcaps (Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor get the biggest crowd cheers)

If Stokes signed for a Headingley based T20 franchise, I would be more underwhelmed than Yorkshire appointing Andrew Gale as Head Coach.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby meninblue » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:43 am

Ambati Rayudu will score more runs than Ben, but no way Ambati will fit merchandise strategy nor poster boy. You need players like KP, Yuvi, Ben, etc.

Ben will earn lot more than 14.5 crores as he will start getting advertisement contracts. Already few Indian advertising companies may have started contacting him.
Better he appoints a manager now to manage his contracts.

If he gives match winning contributions this IPL then he will earn huge.
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Mon May 01, 2017 7:02 pm

100 for Ben Stokes. His first one in T20. What a match winning innings after Pune were struggling at 3 for 10. :bow:

Highest paid foreign cricketer ever in IPL and has given some match winning performances in IPL on his own.
meninblue

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon May 01, 2017 7:07 pm

match winning knock from him.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Aidan11 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:15 pm

Stokes :clap :bow:
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league