Random Cricket Thread (International Cricket)

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Random Cricket Thread (International Cricket)

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Mixed signal on the tour now, some suggesting the tour would take place and ECB security people are happy with the arrangement but at the same time Berry reported that travelling to the stadiums and the English fans could be a problem.
Although I highly doubt english fans will go to Bangladesh and if they did go surely ECB can't cancel a tour just because it might not be safe for the fans living in the poorer or cheaper faculties.
Berry article was really clutching at straws considering if they cancelled the tour on the journey to the hotel/stadium then india would be banned as well.

Anyway ECB speaking to Cook tomorrow so we should know more tomorrow or later this week.

Anyway don't England travel in Bulletproof buses or coaches, so travelling shouldn't be a huge problem for them if that is the only stumbling block.

Can't see how Barmy army plays a part in the decision since at the moment Barmy army not running anything in bangladesh and at most 100-300 english fans will be there for the games compared to the 4-6 thousand expected in India maybe even more since Chennai/Mumbai are popular at the moment.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby sussexpob » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:22 am

I think what Berry was saying was that transferring between places is a high risk security situation in BD due to the fact that the situation cant be controlled, and that where it can be controlled, the ECB seem happy with it. I think a clear distinction can be made with BD and India, in that the risk factor is slightly higher in BD due to recent attacks.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:42 pm

Mashrafe begging England to tour.
Going to be a very tough decision, really not sure which way it will go.
Sussex TBH if Bangladesh is dangerous to travel then India the same since no one could control what the crowd could do when travelling.
Although you are right in saying the risk is lower in India that BD in terms of terrorist but then again india still got the same risk considering pakistani terrorist and other terrorist are always trying to plan attacks in india.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:46 pm

Wow berry saying the tour will be on.
As the volatile security situation stands, England are expected to be given the go-ahead to tour Bangladesh, although certain players may decline to take the risk. But another atrocity in the country – anything remotely on the lines of the July 1 attack by five gunmen on a café in Dhaka – will lead to a cancellation.
any attack and the tour is off.

looks like the rumers I was hearing couple of weeks ago were correct.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2016 ... tour-fear/

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:18 am

Newman saying the tour will go ahead as well.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:16 pm

ECB decision yesterday shows how pathetic CA were last year on cancelling the tour and the under 19 world cup experience for their players.

CA didn't send or try to actually see if the country is safe for the players, if anything they made the decision very quickly because of the rating, if France or Belgium were test playing nations, Australia wouldn't tour those countries and they probably wouldn't tour England either since I believe Great Britain terror risk was very high most of the time last year and this year.
Most of Europe is in very high risk area.

Strauss gave an impressive interview on Sky.
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... o-go-ahead

Got to say ECB handled a very tough situation quite well.
would be so much easier to cancel the tour 2-3 months ago.

Interesting article by booth as well on Mail with quotes from Caddick.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricke ... ddick.html

Caddick told Sportsmail: 'The players should be told that if they don't want to go that's fine — it won't affect your standing in the side. But it will. There are certain individuals struggling to be in that side, and they'll feel pressure to go.

'It has got to be an individual's choice whether to go or not.'

Caddick, who is now 47, also urged the ECB – who confirmed on Thursday night that the tour would go ahead – to handle the situation with more aplomb than they did in 2001.

'It's got to be an individual's choice whether to go or not,' he said. 'But it depends how the ECB deal with it.

'Back then, there were initially 10 of us who didn't want to go to India, and the ECB said fine. Then it went down to five, a couple of whom were members of staff.

'We'd just had 9/11 and there was a lots of information from channels I was using – I was doing my own investigating and not just relying on the ECB. They said they wouldn't name anyone, and the next day we were all named and shamed. I was on page 3 of the News of the World.

'I just hope the ECB don't hang them out to dry like they did with me in 2001.'

made a good point though since if hales refuses to tour chances are he won't be playing in India or even touring if the replacements do well, Same with others.
only really Cook, Broad, Anderson, Root and Stokes are guaranteed picks with Woakes 80-20 and Ali 80-20, both are 80-20 considering Woakes is 50-50 at the moment to play in any of the subcontinental test matches and if Wood does well he could potentially leap frog Woakes in the pecking order in Asian conditions and Ali is under pressure with the ball.
So even if the players wanted to pull out they may not really have a choice but go if they want to play for england again or keep their place or spot in the team/squad.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:31 pm

Bairstow's probably going to be in the side, even if he loses the gloves.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Bairstow's probably going to be in the side, even if he loses the gloves.

thought I left one person out, yeah he a certainty in the side.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Also I am wrong CA did send someone in Bangladesh but you can say it was quite biased since the tour was already cancelled and a man was sent in bangladesh to see the situation and the report or security briefing wasn't as thorough like ECB are doing at the moment.

Still doesn't change the fact it was a pathetic decision and if they were consistent wouldn't be touring England or india or if France/belgium played cricket.
Belgium/France got the same level of threat of attack as Bangladesh.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:46 pm

pretty obvious the press don't want to tour Bangladesh since they been quite negative on it or during the past few days.

Wonder what actually happens if 11 or 12 English players pull out and no attack take place in Bangladesh till late septeptember.
Strauss saying england will go to bangladesh if no terrorist attack takes place in Bangladesh in the next month.
Will england select a B or C squad for Bangladesh.
Meanwhile, the ECB are encouraging any England fans planning to follow the tour to make their own arrangements after it emerged that the board would be unable to guarantee their safety.

Strauss said: ‘It’s worth saying that our decision to press ahead is based on the security plans put in place for the players and the management. That’s all we can control.

‘Any supporters who are considering going out there should make their own arrangements, in particular referring to the foreign office advice.’

That advice includes the warning that ‘crowded areas and places where westerners are known to gather may be at higher risk of attack,’ though security at the matches themselves is expected to be water-tight.

So looks like Barmy Army are not running anything for bangladesh.

Right decision considering it would be pathetic to cancel a tour just because it is unsafe for the fans.
ECB priority should only be the players and management and not the fans or other stuff.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:26 am

So, Dizzy is leaving Yorkshire and returning to Aus. With Boof's tenure as Aus coach being something that is always suggested as having limited time to run (at Lehmann's deciding, not CA's), the ducks look to be lining up for Dizzy to take over.

A step down, I realise.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:45 am

Maybe Lehmann will go to Yorks?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:48 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Maybe Lehmann will go to Yorks?

Very possible. But would Yorkshire want Lehmann, he seems to be a quite polarising character and coach with his methods?

Obviously the history between him and county makes it more likely he would be interested. A simple job swap?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:39 pm

I think the main reason Boof has been forecasting the end of his role was time away from home/family (no idea of his kid's number/ages/etc, cept for the moustachioed one), so uprooting to the other side of the world may be an ask, as well.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:59 pm

Plus his health.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket