Hoggy England's Best Ever?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Hoggy England's Best Ever?

Postby braveneutral » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:48 pm

So the Beeb devised a formula to rank bowlers:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/32105879

It ranks the top 10 England wicket takers and assigns a numerical value to the average of the batsmen who they have dismissed.

Obviously the flaw is the higher runs per match scored and higher and ever-rising averages of batsmen in the modern era.

This is reflected by the top 5 all being relatively current (Broad at 3 I think!).

Who is your best ever bowler and how would they fare in this analysis?
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Re: Hoggy England's Best Ever?

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Fred Trueman.

Probably Larwood and Verity from the old days.

Jim Laker (though a good case for Swann).

Maybe Botham as all rounder.

That's my attack.

I'd pick out Swann as the best from my lifetime. Simon Jones a big what if.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Barnes obviously stands out in his time, but stats of Victorian age players don't really make any sense by modern standards.

I'd rate a lot of bowlers I've seen for England as about the same. Willis, Underwood and Swann a bit ahead. Botham and Freddie stand out as all rounders. But there's about ten pace bowler who are really pointless to categorise, as they were about the same in ability.

Anderson
Broad
Caddick
Cork
Fraser
Gough
Harmison
Hendrick
Hoggard
Tremlett

The Jones and Headley who were unlucky.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:38 pm

Going back to the end of WWI, these are the bowling SRs on England bowlers with at least seventy wickets.

Hoggy is right up there.

Given the changes in the game, SR feels a better guide for pace bowlers (it doesn't make the spinners look good, but this list does highlight how good Swann was).

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=bowling
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:16 pm

Very flawed, though Hoggy was very good, and underrated.

Gough
Caddick
Harmison
Flintoff
Jimmy
Broad
Fraser
Hoggard

were/are about as good as each other. Only saw Bothsm post 1984, so missed his best years.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:24 pm

There is some merit to the BBCs analysis, but whenever you start monkeying around with stats you get some odd results. I don't think anyone with any knowledge of the game, or who has watched it for more than a decade would argue that Broad is amongst England's greatest bowlers.

John Snow for me, there haven't been many English bowlers who could put the fear of God into a batsman like Snow could.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby SaintPowelly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:28 pm

Tremlett
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby andy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:30 pm

Hoggard very good bowler, and under-rated..however Vaughan openly admitted that Hoggy would only tend to be used with the new ball, the donkey work was left to the other quicks, so he didn't tend to bowl much with the old ball..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:35 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:Hoggard very good bowler, and under-rated..however Vaughan openly admitted that Hoggy would only tend to be used with the new ball, the donkey work was left to the other quicks, so he didn't tend to bowl much with the old ball..

Pretty much true. Though he bowled decent reverse swing. If there was nothing happening, Freddie and Harmi would bowl.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:58 pm

You always thought on pitches that had bounce in them or lots of movement, he didnt do well. Hoggard had one real weapon, and that was late swing. He greatest moments (India away, South Africa away) came with either lots of seam movement off the deck, or the ball swinging very late when over pitched. In England, he often over pitched or did too much with the new ball at time. And on bouncy wickets in oz, the batsman needed to show little concern. Hoggard was probably born a decade too early, on pitches at the moment he would do better I think.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:11 pm

Personally, I would say Tremlett out of England's recent players was the person who really got me going. He knew how to use his height to pitch the ball in the right places at decent pace, and his best he was unplayable like few players ever are. Without injuries he would have made it to the very top, imo.

Si Jones was also shaping up to be an incredible player. I remember in 2004 at Lords when New Zealand were touring, on a fairly typically benign Lords post 2000 pitch, Jones kept running in for the second innings (he only picked up one wicket) and kept on beating the bat over and over again with quick reverse swing. Richie Benaud was commentating and I remember him saying that Jones was going to be a world beater.

Other than that, Flintoff's figures never really do him justice. Bowled lots of overs in tough situations, had he played in a more protected position he might have more favourable stats. Often thrown the ball to do the hard yards, and from a team perspective, was definately the most important bowler England have had..... could say the same about Swann after him.

Not really have a world class bowler in my lifetime of remembering cricketers.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:22 pm

Swann? Maybe no all time greats, but Swann at least was a world class bowler.

Tremlett, as you say, briefly, in the away Ashes, and particularly in that home match won after tea against SL at Cardiff, when he and Swann were borderline unplayable.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:24 pm

Maybe you can say that a world class player could get in a world XI of their time.Freddie, Swann, Tremlett and Anderson probably would have done that at some time in their careers.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby ianp1970 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:28 pm

Utter rubbish from Auntie here. This analysis just means that the modern players faced batsmen with higher averages, not that they are better bowlers.

FWIW from those I've seen, my attack would be Botham, Swann, Gough, Willis and Underwood.
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:35 pm

If you're playing two spinners, four of those are hard to argue against. There are a few players about equal with Gough though, I think. Though Goughie is a great pick. I'd have to have Flintoff in there. Fraser if playing four seamers. In my time.
Arthur Crabtree

Next

Return to International Cricket