SA Test tour of Oz, Dec 17 - Jan 8

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: SA Test tour of Oz, Dec 17 - Jan 8

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:43 am

I think teams like NZ might play more three Test series if the big teams offered them.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby alfie » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:35 am

I do share BFL's concerns about the future of the Test game ; but I would hesitate to abandon hope just yet. Was obvious a long time ago that the rise of fast format privately owned competitions would have a serious impact ; but it remains to be seen whether all of these are going to sustain their popularity (and the accompanying $$$ value) as the novelty value wears off. The IPL is the Big One , of course - and has the clout to overshadow the rest as well as hoovering up the best players. Will all the others be able to grow and thrive ? I am not so sure.

Already we see the Big Bash has lost viewers - and is now being significantly reduced in number of matches. Players are striking deals to play part of one league before heading off to join another : there are a lot of good players around but the number isn't infinite. And a lot of the popularity of IPL stems from the fact that players who had already become stars - primarily from their exploits in Tests as well as white ball for their countries - were able to feature in it from the start. If these leagues find themselves too reliant - due to all the competing events - on players either well past their prime or unknown : will they hold the same attraction for fans - and sponsors ?

Of course the Test system is going to have to adjust . The WTC is a flawed concept (illustrated by the absurdity of Sri Lanka being theoretically still capable of featuring in the next final despite winning virtually nothing for years) but is at least an attempt to add meaning to an otherwise rather random fixture list. I do wonder , by the way , whether it isn't actually doing more harm than good by interfering too much with many countries' ability to agree programmes which benefit themselves as well as their opponents ; but do not suggest there is a "perfect" fixture arrangement. Something for further discussion , I think.

It is true that too much rests with the original Test nations England & Australia - and the new behemoth India , with its huge population and number of wealthy private interests : but really up until fairly modern times (my lifetime anyway) Tests were basically a matter for the Ashes pair and SA with the odd appearance from West Indian or Indian teams. That all changed pretty quickly post-war... not impossible we will see things change around quite rapidly again ; if not without a period of instability. I'm remaining hopeful.
alfie

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:04 pm

Well, the fixture list is about as far from perfect as it gets for the next few years. Frankly it's daft.

The ABC's correspondent seems to share my concerns about the way tests are organised now:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-09/ ... /101835674
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Previous

Return to Live Cricket Matches