Eng Test tour of Pak, Dec 1-21

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Eng Test tour of Pak, Dec 1-21

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:09 pm

sussexpob wrote:The key though is..... if making that decision an infinite amount of times, you will lose more than you win. Which makes it quite unjustifiable.

But isn't that the point though. The decision isn't being made an infinite number of times. It's being made once. Each test match is a unique set of circumstances that will never repeat. And so you have to take circumstances into account.

Suppose England are 2-1 down in the series, or that they need 60 points to make the final of the WTC, or something like that. A draw won't cut it - a win is all that matters. Is it a good decision then? Probably yes - there is only one result that will achieve your objective, so you take the decision that maximises the chance of achieving that outcome, regardless of the other possible outcomes. To take an extreme hypothetical analogy, playing the lottery is usually considered mathematically foolish. But suppose you have $5 to your name and need $1 million for a life saving cancer treatment or you'll die next week. In that case, buying a lottery ticket might be a good decision, because even though the odds are extremely small that you'll make the $1 million you need, they're non-zero and higher than the odds of getting $1 million through just about anything else you could do with that money.

sussexpob wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:I I think you can argue it was a decision that was rational inasmuch as if your sole objective was to win the game and don't care about a draw, it probably gave England the best shot of doing so

If we were going to assess logic based on the subjective desires of a decision maker, then surely you can argue anything is rational, because any decision no matter how bad or good is based on some form of decision being based on the available information? I think in this case, its more pertinent to ask whether or not in an objective sense that logic makes sense - so is England's taking a high chance of losing to a lower chance of winning an objectively good decision?

Your argument to me is like trying to say a gambler as logic, because even though he bets on trash that will by the balance of probabilities make him poorer, the bets he makes are good because his objective is to win BIG..... the reality is, in the vast majority of cases protracted over time, he does the opposite. His action is therefore counter to his main goal of gaining economic rewards.

Of course you have to assess the desires of the decision maker. Again, take the $5 example above. Is it a 'good' decision to invest it in the stock market? It depends entirely on your circumstances and objectives. If your objective is to have more money than you started with, then putting it in the stock market might involve an unacceptable level of risk that your investment might go down, and therefore putting the money in some sort of guaranteed saving/interest account might be a better decision. But if your objective is to maximise mathematically expected return on your $5, then the stock market is likely to be a good decision, as in the long run you will probably make more money.

In decision theory, a rational decision is one which takes into account all the facts, circumstances and probabilities, and chooses the outcome that achieves the best utility for the decision maker. In classical economics utility normally equals money, but for real humans it doesn't always. You have to have an idea of what the 'utility' or objective is before you can assess a decision as rational. But then you are entitled to disagree with the 'objective' or 'utility' as a reasonable thing to be seeking to do. The gambler example isn't necessarily a fair one for this situation, because if the gambler's objective is to finish with a profit/make money, then gambling is mathematically an irrational thing to do. But if the gambler's objective is simply to have a good time, and they get entertainment from betting, and never bet more than they are prepared to lose, it might be rational. Not an objective I would agree with, but that's different.

In this case, Stokes and McCullum have decided that winning is everything. They were prepared to risk a high chance of a loss to achieve that. Their 'utility' was win = everything, draw/loss = nothing. You disagree, and fair enough - for you draw and loss are not weighted equally, so there is more utility in avoiding the loss, even if it also means a lower chance of a win.

So really, it comes down to whether you accept or not that the objective is to win at all costs. Reasonable minds clearly differ there. I wouldn't have made that call, and most cricketing wisdom is to weight avoiding a loss higher and only declaring when odds of a win significantly outweigh odds of a loss, especially in the first match of a series. But on the other hand, wins in Pakistan happen literally once a generation. England's overall record there is W3 L4 D18. Taking a 1-0 lead gives England an excellent chance to win the series, something that only has been achieved once by England in 60 years. McCullum and Stokes were clearly prepared to go for a potentially big payoff. Risky for sure. Too risky for many people's taste. But I don't think that makes it unjustifiable.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby alfie » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:38 am

sussexpob wrote:
My issue with your persistence in criticizing the declaration despite its successful outcome is this : your rationale for claiming that the decision to declare at tea was flawed appears to be because it gave Pakistan a significantly better chance than England of winning the match. But that claim only stands up if we accept that the "odds" quoted by various posters - or betting sites - were accurate or meaningful. And since those odds estimates are all essentially just "opinions" there can be no objective standards by which we can assess them. Presumably Stokes and McCullum calculated the odds rather differently( I do not for a moment believe they are stupid enough to take a course of action they believed likely to fail !) - though again , their view was also only an opinion at that stage. The only absolute we can ever take from this game is the eventual result - a fairly clear 74 run win for England - which at least suggests the Stokes/McCullum judgement was more accurate.

Considering the gambling industry is a multi-billion-pound industry, the opinions you are suggesting have no relevance, in practice are the basis of the most thorough scientific probability calculations that exist and have been proven in studies by academic professionals to be of extreme accuracy at the lower end spectrum of probability ratings (anything under 2/1 odds is considered very accurate and becomes more and more accurate with shortening of the odds, to the point there is a high degree of repetitive certainty in odds on calculations). When billions are at stake on a daily basis, it isnt a case of someone in an office somewhere just saying "ah, I think Pakistan will win"..... The idea that two cricketers came to a better calculation of the implied probability of winning is, quite frankly, ludicrous. It would be like saying Stokes and McCullum were better at mathematics than world leading mathematicians.

In fact, this is the part of the debate that I think people are misunderstanding. There seems an assumption that England "calculated" they had a better chance to win than not - judging purely on their explanation (happy to lose to have a chance at winning was the thing Stokes said) of the decision, and that of objective calculations into the win probability, one gets the sense that is not true. I think they were very mindful that they had a worse chance of winning than not ..... but accepted that risk.

though again , their view was also only an opinion at that stage. The only absolute we can ever take from this game is the eventual result - a fairly clear 74 run win for England - which at least suggests the Stokes/McCullum judgement was more accurate.

As I have said, the eventual result does really factor into the judgement of the decision. If we were to extend that line of thinking, then any decision that leads to an intended result can be classed as sound, even if the implied probability on guessing the right one is very low. I mean, if they declared with a lead of 120 and bowled out Pakistan for 119, would that be a good decision? The inference seem to be that yes, it is... when clearly its not.

Of course, we cannot treat this in isolation. In this case, maybe Pakistan had 60% of winning, but that leaves considerable possibility for other outcomes. 40% of the time, Pakistan will not win. No one is suggesting that just because of a slim odd making something more certain, it becomes 100% certain.

The key though is..... if making that decision an infinite amount of times, you will lose more than you win. Which makes it quite unjustifiable.

Well as I say , I just do not accept all that - reference "probabilities" , I mean. I haven't done a deep dive into the betting odds offered by various agencies at times during the match (though I do not doubt they changed quite a lot throughout the match as inevitably happens ; but yes I am indeed convinced that Stokes and McCullum were very much able to assess their chances of winning (not because they are expert mathematicians but because they are expert cricketers).

I do not think they set out to calculate a % chance of win versus loss (or draw) : but I am sure they believed their chances of winning the match were best promoted by declaring at tea , "dangling a carrot" to entice Pakistan to chase rather than defend - and were prepared to accept a higher chance of losing than would have been the case had they delayed the closure. To suggest they "knew" that England's winning chance was significantly less than that of losing and that they went ahead and took a punt anyway is quite frankly daft - in my opinion :) You won't agree , because to do so would mean your own initial instinct that the declaration was mad was simply a misjudgement on your part ; so you will keep pushing the line that there is some intrinsic measure of win/loss % that can be accessed at any point of a cricket match. I regard that claim as total nonsense.

Leaving out % - if I may ? You apparently thought the "correct' odds were 60/40 in favour of Pakistan ? I personally (without trying to be exact) figured them to be about opposite - which was enough for me to be a bit nervous about the outcome. I don't know what Stokes would have settled on if he'd wished to put a figure on it but neither do you. And none of that matters because the choice was made in acknowledged acceptance that there was a risk that he was prepared to accept. And on this occasion it was amply justified by the result. None of this means a similar judgement will be made next week or next year - or that on another occasion it will succeed - so talk of "an infinite number of times" is irrelevant.

Why not simply admit that different people have different ideas of how to balance risk and reward in cricketing decisions ; and sometimes the more conservative approach will prove superior while at other times an apparently riskier tactic is better ?
alfie

Postby alfie » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:42 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:
sussexpob wrote:The key though is..... if making that decision an infinite amount of times, you will lose more than you win. Which makes it quite unjustifiable.

But isn't that the point though. The decision isn't being made an infinite number of times. It's being made once. Each test match is a unique set of circumstances that will never repeat. And so you have to take circumstances into account.

Suppose England are 2-1 down in the series, or that they need 60 points to make the final of the WTC, or something like that. A draw won't cut it - a win is all that matters. Is it a good decision then? Probably yes - there is only one result that will achieve your objective, so you take the decision that maximises the chance of achieving that outcome, regardless of the other possible outcomes. To take an extreme hypothetical analogy, playing the lottery is usually considered mathematically foolish. But suppose you have $5 to your name and need $1 million for a life saving cancer treatment or you'll die next week. In that case, buying a lottery ticket might be a good decision, because even though the odds are extremely small that you'll make the $1 million you need, they're non-zero and higher than the odds of getting $1 million through just about anything else you could do with that money.

sussexpob wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:I I think you can argue it was a decision that was rational inasmuch as if your sole objective was to win the game and don't care about a draw, it probably gave England the best shot of doing so

If we were going to assess logic based on the subjective desires of a decision maker, then surely you can argue anything is rational, because any decision no matter how bad or good is based on some form of decision being based on the available information? I think in this case, its more pertinent to ask whether or not in an objective sense that logic makes sense - so is England's taking a high chance of losing to a lower chance of winning an objectively good decision?

Your argument to me is like trying to say a gambler as logic, because even though he bets on trash that will by the balance of probabilities make him poorer, the bets he makes are good because his objective is to win BIG..... the reality is, in the vast majority of cases protracted over time, he does the opposite. His action is therefore counter to his main goal of gaining economic rewards.

Of course you have to assess the desires of the decision maker. Again, take the $5 example above. Is it a 'good' decision to invest it in the stock market? It depends entirely on your circumstances and objectives. If your objective is to have more money than you started with, then putting it in the stock market might involve an unacceptable level of risk that your investment might go down, and therefore putting the money in some sort of guaranteed saving/interest account might be a better decision. But if your objective is to maximise mathematically expected return on your $5, then the stock market is likely to be a good decision, as in the long run you will probably make more money.

In decision theory, a rational decision is one which takes into account all the facts, circumstances and probabilities, and chooses the outcome that achieves the best utility for the decision maker. In classical economics utility normally equals money, but for real humans it doesn't always. You have to have an idea of what the 'utility' or objective is before you can assess a decision as rational. But then you are entitled to disagree with the 'objective' or 'utility' as a reasonable thing to be seeking to do. The gambler example isn't necessarily a fair one for this situation, because if the gambler's objective is to finish with a profit/make money, then gambling is mathematically an irrational thing to do. But if the gambler's objective is simply to have a good time, and they get entertainment from betting, and never bet more than they are prepared to lose, it might be rational. Not an objective I would agree with, but that's different.

In this case, Stokes and McCullum have decided that winning is everything. They were prepared to risk a high chance of a loss to achieve that. Their 'utility' was win = everything, draw/loss = nothing. You disagree, and fair enough - for you draw and loss are not weighted equally, so there is more utility in avoiding the loss, even if it also means a lower chance of a win.

So really, it comes down to whether you accept or not that the objective is to win at all costs. Reasonable minds clearly differ there. I wouldn't have made that call, and most cricketing wisdom is to weight avoiding a loss higher and only declaring when odds of a win significantly outweigh odds of a loss, especially in the first match of a series. But on the other hand, wins in Pakistan happen literally once a generation. England's overall record there is W3 L4 D18. Taking a 1-0 lead gives England an excellent chance to win the series, something that only has been achieved once by England in 60 years. McCullum and Stokes were clearly prepared to go for a potentially big payoff. Risky for sure. Too risky for many people's taste. But I don't think that makes it unjustifiable.

Unsurprisingly , I pretty much agree with all that :)
alfie

Postby alfie » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:53 am

Nearly ready to go in Multan with England winning the toss and choosing to bat. Pakistan have lost a few to injury - no Azhar , Rauf or Naseem Shah. In come allrounders Mohammad Nawaz , Faheem Ashraf , and a debut for Abrar Ahmed - another young "mystery" spinner. Think they reckon this pitch will aid the slow bowlers more than last week...
alfie

Postby sussexpob » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:33 am

180 runs in one session.....lol.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:44 am

Five wickets before lunch for Abrar on his debut. Him being a leg spinner, suggests this is going to be a very different game.

Historic troubles against mystery spin for England.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:02 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:But isn't that the point though. The decision isn't being made an infinite number of times. It's being made once. Each test match is a unique set of circumstances that will never repeat. And so you have to take circumstances into account

You have to remember that the implied probability of something occurring is merely the mean point in the probability distribution, so choosing one sample outcome to critique or disprove a given probability calculation would be extremely foolish, as any data set will include a potentially huge spread of variance/deviation from the mean point. Probability theory posits in the law of large numbers that the more you sample, the more data will eventually prove an average point (and of course, the less samples you take, in this case only one, the less likely it is to represent any statistical reality)... and as stated previously, studies into betting probabilities tend to prove their accuracy in identifying the mean point in probability extremely well.

So to simply say "England won, so they got it right" would be a foolish inference to take.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:11 am

Well well..... we might be on for a 10-for here. Abrar has his 7th in a row

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:36 am

Turning pitch, im not sure why Foakes is not playing, got to need a good keeper. And hes no mug with the bat.....
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:44 am

England can't play spin :o

who knew :dunno
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:50 am

I haven't seen any of this, but It's often the case that England, when faced with a 'mystery spinner', keep getting out playing all around balls that go straight on and don't turn at all. Ah... maybe the ball is turning square.... who knows?

England have a spinner and a couple of part timers to go with their 4 seamers, so it'll be interesting to see if they read the pitch correctly when replacing a bat with an extra bowler
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby yuppie » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:53 am

Or a keeper than can keep to spin?
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby sussexpob » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:46 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:In decision theory, a rational decision is one which takes into account all the facts, circumstances and probabilities, and chooses the outcome that achieves the best utility for the decision maker. In classical economics utility normally equals money, but for real humans it doesn't always. You have to have an idea of what the 'utility' or objective is before you can assess a decision as rational. But then you are entitled to disagree with the 'objective' or 'utility' as a reasonable thing to be seeking to do. The gambler example isn't necessarily a fair one for this situation, because if the gambler's objective is to finish with a profit/make money, then gambling is mathematically an irrational thing to do. But if the gambler's objective is simply to have a good time, and they get entertainment from betting, and never bet more than they are prepared to lose, it might be rational. Not an objective I would agree with, but that's different.

In the case of the gambler, his reasons for betting are irrelevant arent they? The choice in question would be the selections he makes on his betting slip, and counter to what you argue above, I would argue that someone who has no clear ranked preference in their betting outcomes because they don't really care about winning, they just like to fun of the process, would be acting irrationally. Despite the betting freak slowly bankrupting himself, his intention to bet to maximise his returns would, in this case, be rational. He would have a clear preference towards an outcome. Of course, I think the example isn't great, because lets be honest... even people betting for fun have a clear preference to win, the chance of winning is the fun. No one accepts to just throw money away because its in someway fun to be in a bookies and lose money.

I am sure my views on this part of game theory are well outside the scope of a cricket match thread, but I struggle to understand how subjective motivations for choice can form the basic criteria of a normative theory. Surely how someone SHOULD act is an objective premise, so I see no reason why formulating how someone should act should be defined on a whole host of unhelpful or potentially counterproductive subjective motivations/preferences. Of course, a lot of this nowadays has dubious parallel to real life situations/thought. Pretty recently, the nobel prize was won by someone who counter theorised that loss aversion is the most prevalent real-life strategy that governs such situations, and a default primary bias on preference choices.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:23 pm

alfie wrote: Why not simply admit that different people have different ideas of how to balance risk and reward in cricketing decisions ; and sometimes the more conservative approach will prove superior while at other times an apparently riskier tactic is better ?

I do not think that it is even remotely controversial to claim that someone who makes a choice based on 60% objective probability of success will, over time, be more successful than one who makes choices with 40% probability.

I cant see any scientific basis for arguing against such a proposition. Let alone infer someone who holds that belief is motivated by some dishonest factors

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:45 pm

Looks like they were well short of the minimum number of overs again, even though the game progressed a lot.

Pakistan's day, but England not badly placed.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches