Eng Test tour of Pak, Dec 1-21

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Eng Test tour of Pak, Dec 1-21

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:37 am

England have given this a very honourable go considering the pitch and have got the ball tricking a little with reverse swing. But the seamers are starting to tire, and Pakistan are just starting to accelerate now.

I still have the draw favourite, as England can waste all the time they want in the third session, and Pakistan cant lose more than 1 or 2 wickets before they have to go fully defensive.

Officially 43 overs left, which allows these two to stroll.... more likely 25-30, which doesnt leave much room for blocking a lot of overs.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:50 am

Maybe Pakistan will win in the dark, like England long ago.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:51 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Not a supporter of not doing draws. If that's the best you can hope for, then a draw is a great result.

I agree. Draws are part of test cricket, and the threat of one for the team in front, the need to manage the timing left in the game, the fact that the team behind always has something to scrap for even if a win is out of the question, is part of the appeal for me. Plus there is something compelling in itself about the last day battle to win/save a game.

I can see all over the place (BBC, Cricinfo comments) that people are discussing this declaration as part of England's brand/culture of the team, and something that should be celebrated. I dont really understand that viewpoint. I mean, if you are an attacking football side who tries to score goals, find yourself 1-0 up in the CLs final with 5 minutes left, its hardly saying anything about the nature or spirit of your side if you shove 3 defenders on and sit back; its just common sense. Bold would suggest a level of confidence in what you do, that you back yourself - this declaration felt like some dogmatic idiocy. Slap your chest, this is England now, we do everything balls out la la la....... this isnt bold, its suicidal lunacy.

There will be some if England win that say "see, told you so".... like a guy drinking 3 litres of vodka and driving home waking up in the morning telling you it was a great idea, because he saved 20 quid on a taxi.... results of some decisions dont matter, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get punished. The idea itself... rubbish.

Id go as far as saying its the worst decision I can remember a captain/coach making in a cricket match in my lifetime. To score nearly a 1000 runs, then give your opponent a chance not only to win, but be Bookie's favourite on the win.

As I said, not bold.... just stupid.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:03 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Not a supporter of not doing draws. If that's the best you can hope for, then a draw is a great result.

I agree. Draws are part of test cricket, and the threat of one for the team in front, the need to manage the timing left in the game, the fact that the team behind always has something to scrap for even if a win is out of the question, is part of the appeal for me. Plus there is something compelling in itself about the last day battle to win/save a game.

There have been many an exciting draw over the years.

I 100% agree.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:04 am

Either way, we got another 1.50 minutes cricket yesterday after this point. Sunset is 2.30 hours away, so not going to get much more than that even if Pakistan are 2 runs away.

Lets say a conservative estimate of 25 overs, maybe less if England try to mess around and waste time - guessing if they had sense, they would burn some reviews to waste some minutes too.

Think its a draw, unless Pakistan really want to give it some whack. Probably need somewhere in the region of 4 an over, as England will slow that over rate to nothing the close they get.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:20 am

Four an over feels do-able. Send out a tail ender to have a hit if a wicket falls.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:21 am

Not sure Pakistan look that interested at the moment.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:27 am

England think they have him here

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:31 am

sussexpob wrote:England think they have him here

The ball tracking had that ball literally horizontal after contact. Hawkeye out last night?

Hit above the knee roll with a stride in. Sorry Hawkeye, not convinced at all that is not an error

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:32 am

My god, ripper from Robbo, clangs the outside of offstump but the bails stay where they are.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:38 am

Big wicket, Azhar goes... didnt look like he hit that, but he walked, so he must have know he had something on it

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:43 am

Seemed Azhar was stuck. Presume draw is favourite now.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:00 pm

Hell of a catch from Pope, but that was a rank ball.... should have been nowhere near it.

England now favourites

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:02 pm

Has to review that.

Does... umpires call.

9 down... again I am not wholly convinced with the ball tracking. Can see he's hit inside leg stump....

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:11 pm

Few shadows on the pitch now. Dont think England should need too many overs here, but they wont get too many either.

Earliest finish was about 25 minutes from now.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches