Oz tour of Pakistan, March 4 - April 5

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Oz tour of Pakistan, March 4 - April 5

Postby alfie » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:53 am

Yeah I wouldn't even try to call this yet...They say this is "moving day" so will see what happens .

Pitch being flat (again) suggests Pakistan could bat big : but their tail is longer than ever so a few wickets were to fall (to a bit of reverse , say) they might come unstuck. And if they bat he way they have mostly done in these games , it means a decent lead would be unlikely to eventuate before tea on day four... which might be a bit late to push for a win.

As for Australia's chances : if they can knock the home team over today , or early tomorrow , still well in arrears , they have to work towards a declaration timing. After the previous game , that might be tricky...
alfie

Postby mikesiva » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:24 pm

Pakistan 268 all out

Shafique 81
Azhar 78
Babar 67

Cummins 5-56
Starc 4-33
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby sussexpob » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:25 pm

That ended abruptly. Aussies have an opening finally, expect they will have time to bat Pakistan out the series then give themselves time for 10.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:49 pm

alfie wrote:Yeah I wouldn't even try to call this yet...They say this is "moving day" so will see what happens .

Pitch being flat (again) suggests Pakistan could bat big : but their tail is longer than ever so a few wickets were to fall (to a bit of reverse , say) they might come unstuck. And if they bat he way they have mostly done in these games , it means a decent lead would be unlikely to eventuate before tea on day four... which might be a bit late to push for a win.

As for Australia's chances : if they can knock the home team over today , or early tomorrow , still well in arrears , they have to work towards a declaration timing. After the previous game , that might be tricky...

Well picked Alfie.

I went to bed with Pakistan 3 down for around 260. The carnage must have started as I started snoring. I expected to see Pakistan still batting, with a lead, at stumps. I had to look at Cricinfo twice to comprehend the score. A pleasant surprsie.

Moving day indeed. I can only hope for some of this fabled pitch deterioration that has been promised for a couple of tests now.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:50 pm

7 wickets for 20 runs. Pakistan would not be happy with themselves.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:29 pm

Can't say I was expecting that, but goes to show the value of genuinely fast bowling.

Can Australia force the win? They'll need to bat most of today then have 3 and a bit sessions to bowl Pakistan out.

A target of around 300 might make for a very interesting final day, unlike the previous two day 5s...
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby alfie » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:16 am

That remarkable late collapse (some truly excellent bowling from Cummins and Starc) has certainly opened up the prospect of a result...though presumably only an Australian win is feasible .

134 ahead : scoring in the match - in the series , in fact ! - has been slow ; so I'd imagine it will take the tourists the first two sessions at least to get that much above 300. How many will Cummins feel he needs to put Pakistan back in is the big question , no ?

Couldn't get them out in 170 overs last time so he will want a good number at them today on top of the 90 scheduled for Friday...but even though you'd think even 300 would be too many , will he be happy to allow Pakistan a target of , say , 320 in a possible 120 overs ?

Whatever he does , the off field critics will be all over him unless he manages to produce a win :)

But this pitch just might give a bit more than the last one. I like the chances...
alfie

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:18 am

especially in Aus, the armchair critics are lining up to have (another) potshot at Cummins.

So many of them are very bitter about Langer, and are blaming Cummins for it all. For this reason foremost, I hope Aus get a good win today/tomorrow.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:55 am

Naseem Shah gets Khawaja with a wonderful delivery, and gives him a bit of a send-off.

Only to be called for a no ball. Two lessons in one?

Ussie didn't even crack a smile. Phlegmatic is an appropriate word to describe him, I think.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby alfie » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:04 am

Another excellent hundred for Khawaja sees Australia in a good place at tea...325 ahead and only two down.

Should be enough already , in truth - but I imagine they will look to extend that quite rapidly after the break. The more overs they can leave the better ; but I suppose the very fact that they've been able to score quite briskly today means they will want to make sure the eventual target is a very steep one...

Personally can't see Pakistan attempting to chase a target anyway , but I have been wrong before so will leave the decision to Pat :)
alfie

Postby sussexpob » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:25 am

Has Usman Khawaja been possessed by the ghost of the Don? Cant get him out since his returned into the fold....

Australia need to push a move on here.... get the lead over 400 and declare, youd want 15-20 overs at Pakistan tonight
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby mikesiva » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:26 am

Australia 227-3 declared

Khawaja 104*
Warner 51

Target 350
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby alfie » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:27 am

So - declared at 227/3 - that gives them what , 121 overs ? And Pakistan need 351 to win.

Seems like a pretty good declaration , in advance of seeing what actually happens.

Should ensure some good cricket to watch well into tomorrow , whatever the outcome...
alfie

Postby sussexpob » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:33 am

I think thats a very generous declaration for Pakistan. 350 is gettable, and enough overs not to have strain to get there.

I'd have liked to have seen a ten over slog, get that to 400-420 and for the sake of a handful of balls, take Pakistan completely out the game.

Of course, Pakistan have to at least flirt with the target, so it might get them playing a few shots and getting out. But the pitches so far have held up.... this very much puts a Pakistan win still on the table, and after dominating the match it would be a tragic end to lose it.

Guess we will see... great for the game as a whole to see a captain being aggressive.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:40 pm

Smith drops Imam last ball of the day, Pakistan 75-0.... Australia not had the best of sessions, but a long way to go. Going to be a good days cricket tomorrow

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches