India tour of SA, Dec 26 - Jan 23

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: India tour of SA, Dec 26 - Jan 23

Postby The Professor » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:38 pm

Shame Ashwin got involved.....didn't think he was part of that loud mouth contingent
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 pm

yuppie wrote:Indias players reaction to the DRS incident should lead to some form of punishment. Shocking show of dissent and basically accusing the national broadcaster of doctoring the pictures.

Disgraceful.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:41 pm

The reaction is because this is the second time in three tests I'm aware of that Hawkeye has clearly been wrong. And without going back into it, that kohli decision for me was a terrible call too....India keep getting DRS punishing them, and I think I'd have lost my rag

Elgar is 5f7 and hit just below, or just on the bottom off the knee....there is no way in a million Sundays that's going over.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby bigfluffylemon » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:30 am

sussexpob wrote:The reaction is because this is the second time in three tests I'm aware of that Hawkeye has clearly been wrong. And without going back into it, that kohli decision for me was a terrible call too....India keep getting DRS punishing them, and I think I'd have lost my rag

Elgar is 5f7 and hit just below, or just on the bottom off the knee....there is no way in a million Sundays that's going over.

Maybe, maybe not (they published the actual arc of a ball that pitched in a similar place the next over by Ashwin, and it did in fact go over the stumps), but regardless, blatant dissent at an umpire's decision and baseless accusations of cheating are not on, and never have been, DRS or not.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby mikesiva » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:00 am

India 198 all out

Pant 100*

Jansen 4-36
Rabada 3-53
Ngidi 3-21

Target 212
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:00 am

Could still be close. Fifty to get.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:26 am

bigfluffylemon wrote: Maybe, maybe not (they published the actual arc of a ball that pitched in a similar place the next over by Ashwin, and it did in fact go over the stumps), but regardless, blatant dissent at an umpire's decision and baseless accusations of cheating are not on, and never have been, DRS or not.

The problem is, are such accusations that baseless?

In the first test, Agrawal had an lbw decision sent upstairs, which everyone universally on the replay thought looked not out 100%. Hawkeye took an absolute age to start working, at one point the umpire could be heard talking into the stump mic for whoever was responsible to get on with it. When the Broadcasters finally got the images up, Agrawal was given out with the ball hitting leg stump by the thinnest of margins.

If you look at that hawkeye replay there is a massive problem on two levels. The most obvious that defaults the decision to being wrong is the fact the outside of the ball is shown to be scrapping the stumps. The law clearly states if the centre of the ball is outside the impact zone but still hitting, its umpires call. They reduced the margin on height recently, but not on the wicket line - the pictures were conclusive and there should have been no debate - hawkeye for some reason malfunctioned on the margin. 100% not out.

The second is even more problematic. The point of contact on the stump to stump projection uses a static image of Agrawal's position as the ball was about to be delivered. It shows him being hit right infront of middle stump, bat in the air, playing very backwards... while the images used from the same camera to decide the inside edge show his trigger movement coming forward and across.

The images showing Agrawal's final position show his bat is inside the line of off stump, and he's move slightly across and forward. Now the bat is half the size of the complete set of stumps, and the ball is missing the inside edge by a clear and relatively large distance. This all means that at the very least, the ball has clearly not impacted on a middle stump line, we can see the full offstump, and Id guess the impact is probably leg-middle with a slight bias to leg. The point of impact was clearly wrong, made wrong because of the wrong image used for the projection.

Considering the time it took to generate this image, one has to ask what was happening? Because the image has been erroneously doctored.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:40 am

Rassie now gets wrapped on the pad. Same length ball, side on view shows him struck same distance from stumps, this time its hit him above the knee roll on a batsman 7 inches taller....and its umpire call on stumps. Hmmm

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:44 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:
sussexpob wrote:The reaction is because this is the second time in three tests I'm aware of that Hawkeye has clearly been wrong. And without going back into it, that kohli decision for me was a terrible call too....India keep getting DRS punishing them, and I think I'd have lost my rag

Maybe, maybe not (they published the actual arc of a ball that pitched in a similar place the next over by Ashwin, and it did in fact go over the stumps

That ball actually was noticeably fuller yet was deemed to have ended up in exactly the same place. If you take the distance of the popping crease to be 4 feet, the bounce is maximum 10ft from the stumps. Which is on the cusp of where a half volley meets a yorker sort of length, even when giving the margin of doubt to it being shorter than fuller. Yorker's dont bounce over the stumps, even if you are playing on a trampoline with a tennis ball.

Either way, I am not sure an argument about whether the technology being correct can be settled with another dubious call from said technology.

All I can say is, in this case, the on field umpire expressed shock at Hawkeye and could be heard muttering about the ball path being impossible. The commentators thought it was plumb. Cricinfo's take? "Holy moly, not out?"....

Even Elgar, seeing the replay show he had no edge and not a no ball, just turned and walked back to the pavilion, not even bothered to check the ball tracking because he must have thought he looked dead as a dodo.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:06 pm

India have had to suffer a lot in the last month.

The Kohli bat-pad that for me was clearly wrong
The Ajaz Patel boomerang ball that hawkeye decided swung in viciously after pitching, defying physics
The Agrawal dismissal
This one

Can even go back to the end of the summer, and that Rahul dismissal to Jimmy Anderson where he clearly clangs the back pad and was given out on a sound by snicko, which was an overturned decision too.

Interestingly, who was losing their rag? 3 people directly involved with previous nonsense decisions. Wonder why...

I wouldnt be surprised if India go back to refusing to use DRS

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:10 pm

SA win. That's some chase in a low scoring game.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby The Professor » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:04 pm

What a shame this isn't a five Test series
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby mikesiva » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:01 am

South Africa 212-3

Petersen 82
Rassie 41*

Saffers win the series 2-1.

What an exciting Test series this was!
:clap
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:15 am

India win in Aus, lose in SA. Unpredictable times.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:43 pm

yuppie wrote:Indias players reaction to the DRS incident should lead to some form of punishment. Shocking show of dissent and basically accusing the national broadcaster of doctoring the pictures.

Virat is like that only. He thinks he can do anything. Also has given some interview showing dissent against Indian selection panel recently and is in controversy. He always finds a way out to be in wrong news. Always a cry baby whether he is playing international or IPL. Same rubbidh behavior he shows in IPL also whenever decissios are not in his favor.

Previously his aggression was related to his great form with bat. Now I can't recall if he has scored even a single test or PFI ton in last two years. Went missing in test finals against NZ. Flopped against Pakistan in world cup. Good selectors dropped him from captaincy. Can't even win one ICC tournament and talks so much.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches