India in England Aug-Sep 2021 (& July 2022)

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: India in England Aug-Sep 2021

Postby sussexpob » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:53 pm

As for broad, he now I'd guess owns the test and limited overs record for most expensive overs, considering he got taken for 36 by Yuvraj a few years back.

Not records he will cherish
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:56 pm

Yes just checked...no international over has ever gone past 36....
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby alfie » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:03 pm

I really do not understand why England persist in using that "everything short with field spread" tactic when bowling to the tail...

These fellows bat 9 , 10 , 11 for a reason : they aren't very good with the bat. If you spend most of your bowling life trying to get good batsmen out by hitting top of off , getting an edge , etc ... Why the devil don't you trust the same method against the rabbits ?

Not saying you can't give them some short stuff to keep them uneasy ; but mix it up for heaven's sake. Back your bowlers to succeed by doing the basics well : surely couldn't do any worse than this method consistently seems to manage (England currently rank a poor last among Test teams for dismissing the last three bats so it isn't just an "impression" : they really do bungle that situation nearly every time)

Up to the bats now to salvage the situation. Not the best start with Lees gone just ahead of the rain interruption.

This could turn into a "back to earth" result for the new management team. Which wouldn't be a disaster - as long as they learn from it.

Way to go yet of course...
alfie

Postby sussexpob » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:12 pm

Going to come down to England's middle order....Pope, Root and Bairstow are all in great form, and will need to continue it for England to compete now.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:19 pm

Don't like seeing Crawley playing away swing by closing the face on middle stump....edge lands safe, but play yourself in and see off the shine before trying to manufacture shots.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:20 pm

And there he goes....totally useless. He wants to hit out his funk, but opening in these conditions you need to be patient. Another dismissal driving loosely into the offside.....always the same. Caught behind for nothing.....

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:26 pm

Bumrah putting Root under pressure instantly. Good bowling

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:17 pm

Back on. Nice rest for the Indian new ball bowlers.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:49 pm

It baffles me how it's been obvious to us for years that England are *modded* at bowling to the tail because they go too short, yet they persist. The coaches must be telling them to.

I feel as though since the English tail got bounced out repeatedly for nothing in Australia 2017, they saw it worked against them and became determined to do it against everyone else.

Also, what is it with England and sixth wicket partnerships this test?

Can't see them getting out of this one, but we said that at TB I guess...
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:52 pm

Broad doesn't like it up him, therefore...
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:04 pm

Some interesting stats floating about twitter. Zak Crawley has now got out front foot driving 11 times since the start of 2021, and his success rate/chances produced while playing positively off the front foot is the worst of all full time batsman.

That's pretty depressing for him, because his defence is porous and his stroke play his strength, but as suggested in the NZ series, it's very clearly he has so little faith in his stickability, he's going after everything and getting himself into trouble.

If England want him to have any future, they need to take him out the firing line. Trying to hit his way out a slump when you are opening the bat to a moving ball in England is just asking to be punished.

But judging on Collingwood take last night, it seems the coaching staff want this. Although Collingwood saying England are happy to just bat their way out of crap bowling was quite a mad thing to say with this line up. One series aside, we've been absymal for years....

sussexpob

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:56 pm

India showed immediately the value in bowling length. The ball was doing plenty and they helped it to do it. I haven't seen Root looking that uncomfortable for a long time

and, of course, sending in the nightwatchman while the ball was nipping back sharply was just gifting India another wicket.

I look forward to the Bairstow/Stokes blitz tomorrow. Somehow they have to negotiate the first hour without giving it away. If they can do that then the ball ought to help them re-build, but it probably needs to be these two who are batting when the ball goes flat and soft.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: India in England Aug-Sep 2021 (& July 2022)

Postby alfie » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:19 am

All come unstuck for England in this one... Nothing necessarily awful about that ; India are a strong team and any side can have a bad day/session ,

But the concern is the apparent failure of the England brains trust to learn from experience : that short attack on the tail has failed too often so why not give it a rest and ask world class bowlers to attack the stumps of tail enders ? Has some analyst produced data to show Shami and Bumrah get out to short balls for small scores rather often ? Perhaps (I have neither the time nor the inclination to investigate) but if so have the circumstances surrounding those dismissals (score , partner , pace/arm of bowler , pitch conditions ) all been taken into account ? Have to doubt it : memory of just one year ago between the same teams should surely have over ridden it anyway , no ?

Even so , 416 as against 380 neither here nor there if they bat well. But in bowler-friendly conditions , against top class seam bowling , the limitations of the current England top three were shown up again. It is a serious worry , despite Pope's two fine knocks against NZ and Lees' gradual improvement. Crawley has been given huge support - something to applaud in one way ; but perhaps the obligation to justify that support has become too much of a cross to bear : he looks shot to me - at least for now. (Hope that guarantees a second innings century :) )

Was excellent bowling from Bumrah and Shami though. If England hoped to be batting in sunshine on the second afternoon they were savagely repaid for trusting a British weather forecast ! I don't think many bats would have fancied facing those two in the conditions , and even Joe Root looked far from his usual
busy and calm self in that late session. Five down including the sacrificial goat night watchman - it might have been worse !

Might be a bit much to expect Jonny and Cap'n Ben to save the day again : but I guess this summer has taught us all that Nothing is Impossible. Would prefer the rain to work to a better timetable though : hard enough watching in this time zone without having to make sleep or wait decisions at 2 am...
alfie

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:54 am

England living dangerously this morning. How has Shami not got a bag of wickets this innings?

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:35 am

Stokes gets dropped, then the very next ball plays the same shot to the same fielder, and Bumrah takes him second time.... not smart cricket that.

England's fortuitous morning finally runs out of luck.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches