NZ tour of England 2021.

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: NZ tour of England 2021.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:41 am

Just looking it up, since the start of 2013, England have six players with an average of over 35:
https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engin ... pe=batting

2 are Root and Cook. Proven test class. And Cook was only just over 40, much poorer second half of career than first.
One is Stokes, who was more of a bowler than a batsman for his first few years, but has improved and averages over 40 since 2016

The others?
Gary Ballance, started strong, fell away fast, couldn't buy a run in his last couple of years in the side, hasn't been looked at since 2017 (despite continuing to score prolifically in the CC, until this year when of course I picked him for my FL side)
Haseem Hameed, 3 games, appeared to have talent but lost all form after injury. 3 games not enough of a sample anyway.
Ollie Robinson, 1 game, likely statistical fluke (can bat, but will not average 40 in his test career, if he ever comes back).

Putting a minimum of 10 games played:
Australia have 11 (even the much maligned Khawaja, Shaun Marsh and Joe Burns have better averages than Buttler, Rory Burns, Bairstow and co)
India have 10 (even Jadeja)
New Zealand have 9 (their entire top 7, even Colin de G - plus Conway too if you take away the qualifier)
Pakistan have 10
South Africa have 7 (although 4 have retired, hence their decline)
Sri Lanka have 8
Bangladesh have 4, all still active
England have 4, 2 of whom are no longer playing
West Indies have zero.

Is it any wonder we keep losing?
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Re: NZ tour of England 2021.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:03 am

What is striking is that players who were good before 2013, tailed off after. Like maybe there was some unifying factor.

My feeling is that the A team playing so much was a factor in England improbing in the noughties. A larger volume of fringe players and press pick could have a go and see who worked.

And the CC is continually undermined.

And it may be that cricket is facing a reckoning after being hidden behind a paywall for so long. Young people are not playing. Clubs are being closed down (to quote the Specials). Though England have a very good limited overs set up of course.

But then NZ have so little going for them structurally and they have a fine side. They were obvious favourites in this series.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Previous

Return to Live Cricket Matches