WTC Final - India vs New Zealand

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: WTC Final - India vs New Zealand

Postby alfie » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:36 am

Absolutely well deserved win for NZ ... TBH I gave them little hope of forcing a win overnight ; but their excellent pressure with the ball and some fine catching on this last day got them the result (with a bit of help at the end from their two most experienced bats)

Certainly the best ever NZ team/squad : with a little better luck of course they could be holding trophies in both formats by now. Think they can fairly claim to be Number One in Tests right now : though India aren't going away and will surely be keen to get back to winning ways against England next.

The warm up Tests against England obviously gave the Kiwis a bit of a head start on India , who were by no means disgraced - but that in no way detracts from a fine performance from NZ , who won it with a thoroughly professional effort . They had a game plan and stuck to it throughout , even when the loss of time in the match threatened to deny them their reward.

I am delighted that the awful weather didn't prevent a finish to this first WTC .Considering the extra complications due to Covid , pretty remarkable that they actually got the competition finished at all. Room for improvement in the programme for next time , perhaps : but I think ICC can be moderately satisfied with the overall result.
alfie

Previous

Return to Live Cricket Matches