Bangladesh V England Test Series 2016

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Bangladesh V England Test Series 2016

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:33 pm

dan08 wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:Tbh when the likes of nasir hossain or soumya sarkar can't get into the side you know Bangladesh got a decent batting side. But no point discussing this here since most of you don't even watch or follow Bangladesh cricket but still go with the old stereotype that Bangladesh must be awful or *modded*.

Soumya has hardly scored any runs since those ODIs last summer.

Mosaddek is pretty good though. Not sure why he doesn't make the squad.

he been added to the squad for the 2nd test.
Sabbir rahman suffering from an illness.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:44 pm

I think the point is more, Bhave, that you just endlessly keep repeating the same two lines with out actually looking at what is being said. Your point is truly perplexing really, you won't meet a more self deprecating set of cricket fans than English fans, more so than ever on here because most us watched England when they were truly terrible. You won't find any on here claiming England have a good set of spinners, nor will you find many claiming we have a good batting line up at present - deep maybe but not world class.

Yet most still expect England to beat Bangladesh, it may be close, but we expect England to beat Bangladesh. Why? Because England are simply a better side regardless of conditions. If they lost it would be regarded as an upset by almost everyone who watches the game. Bangladesh may have advantages but they don't have the highest scoring opener of all time in their side. They may have some decent batsmen but they don't have one of the best in the world at three. They may be at home but they don't have batsmen coming in at 7 whose just made more runs in a year than any wicket keeper in the history of the game. That matters.

We're going to get hammered in India because India are a world class side at home, Bangladesh may win the next test, they came close to winning the first one, but despite all of their improvement, they still aren't all that good. That's why England are expected to win.

As for the tag favourites, you're the only one who seems adamant on throwing it around!
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:48 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I won't be surprised. That can clearly happen. A 'huge shock' isn't commensurate with the discussion that's going on here. And I don't think anyone is suggesting England aren't a flawed side, especially in the conditions.

Well I get the impression most people are in denial.
Actually most people were in denial during the summer as well, which funny enough ended in a draw where England were massive favourites to win the series and they only really deserved a draw as well, they could have easily lost that series. god knows how many times it was mentioned here England are massive favourites to win the series or they will easily thrash Pakistan never actually happened turned out england only had 1 good test and 2 good days in the 3rd test.

Anyway whatever England do they screwed they win it is only Bangladesh and frankly speaking most people will only accept a thrashing and any lost is embarrassing for them.

Either way England are struggling to beat bangladesh so good luck winning a day in india.
Last edited by Dr Cricket on Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:52 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:I think the point is more, Bhave, that you just endlessly keep repeating the same two lines with out actually looking at what is being said. Your point is truly perplexing really, you won't meet a more self deprecating set of cricket fans than English fans, more so than ever on here because most us watched England when they were truly terrible. You won't find any on here claiming England have a good set of spinners, nor will you find many claiming we have a good batting line up at present - deep maybe but not world class.

Yet most still expect England to beat Bangladesh, it may be close, but we expect England to beat Bangladesh. Why? Because England are simply a better side regardless of conditions. If they lost it would be regarded as an upset by almost everyone who watches the game. Bangladesh may have advantages but they don't have the highest scoring opener of all time in their side. They may have some decent batsmen but they don't have one of the best in the world at three. They may be at home but they don't have batsmen coming in at 7 whose just made more runs in a year than any wicket keeper in the history of the game. That matters.

We're going to get hammered in India because India are a world class side at home, Bangladesh may win the next test, they came close to winning the first one, but despite all of their improvement, they still aren't all that good. That's why England are expected to win.

As for the tag favourites, you're the only one who seems adamant on throwing it around!

So in your words England are an awful team then considering they struggling to beat Bangladesh.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:59 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:I think the point is more, Bhave, that you just endlessly keep repeating the same two lines with out actually looking at what is being said. Your point is truly perplexing really, you won't meet a more self deprecating set of cricket fans than English fans, more so than ever on here because most us watched England when they were truly terrible. You won't find any on here claiming England have a good set of spinners, nor will you find many claiming we have a good batting line up at present - deep maybe but not world class.

So in your words England are an awful team then considering they struggling to beat Bangladesh.

Hmmm, no, nor was that implied. They're a team well outside their comfort zone who don't have players required to beat good opposition in the Subcontinent anymore. It would be interesting to watch South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and England have a series against each other in India though.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:05 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:

Hmmm, no, nor was that implied. They're a team well outside their comfort zone who don't have players required to beat good opposition in the Subcontinent anymore. It would be interesting to watch South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and England have a series against each other in India though.

TBH it kind of was considering if bangladesh are a poor team any team struggling to beat them will be poor as well or actually loses to them.
Anyway yeah South Africa, England, Australia, NZ will be interesting since they all got flaws and strength, actually think England will come out on top.
Anyway not sure bangladesh are a poor side, they actually quite good at the moment, ok they got some flaws and will struggle overseas but got decent or good players coming through and they did play good cricket 95% of the time in the test which is very odd for them.

Teams will have to be very good to win games against Bangladesh especially at home.
not sure teams can just turn up and face bangladesh and win 80% of the time.
Last edited by Dr Cricket on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:10 pm

England are a team that can win in South Africa. They can beat Australia on non-subcon pitches. But for bad light they would have beaten Pakistan in the first Test in the UAE (though even had they done so, few would have made them favourites for the second). They beat SL without giving them a sniff. They can win big games. BD are not at that level. On their own pitches, they can win, but having proved fallible in the first game against acclimatising tourists, they may have missed their best chance. Neither side was dominant and saying who will win with certainty is impossible.

I don't see any denial in the posts on here. No one is writing off BD or suggesting England are going to win easily, or with certainty.

Or that they will get anything from India. Saying this stuff just creates the possibility so you can say you were right and everyone else deluded, should BD (and India) win. But it's not a realistic summary of what is being said. No poster is heading for a 'big shock'.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:16 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:England are a team that can win in South Africa. They can beat Australia on non-subcon pitches. But for bad light they would have beaten Pakistan in the first Test in the UAE (though even had they done so, few would have made them favourites for the second). They beat SL without giving them a sniff. They can win big games. BD are not at that level. On their own pitches, they can win, but having proved fallible in the first game against acclimatising tourists, they may have missed their best chance. Neither side was dominant and saying who will win with certainty is impossible.

I don't see any denial in the posts on here. No one is writing off BD or suggesting England are going to win easily, or with certainty.

Or that they will get anything from India. Saying this stuff just creates the possibility so you can say you were right and everyone else deluded, should BD (and India) win. But it's not a realistic summary of what is being said. No poster is heading for a 'big shock'.

TBH did say before the tour started Bangladesh wasn't going to be easy, actually been saying it since 2014 actually, Cue of why I actually get angry or have rants when people play down Bangladesh, had one before the 2015 world cup which famously bangladesh knocked out England and then went into a crazy run of actually winning games.
TBH in my head had Bangladesh winning a test in this series and actually made a note to have a cheeky accumulator with Bangladesh at some crazy odds and 3 or 4 other likely winners and win some big money, that how certain I was in Bangladesh winning a test still am actully since I haven't seen anything from England to suggest they can stop Bangladesh from winning a game.

If anything I was the one that picked up on Vaughan being an idiot for suggesting England will thrash bangladesh 2-0 and now get all shocked england are not that great in the subcontinent. not really sure what he was expecting in this tour, what England to score 600 and Bangladesh losing by an innings and 300 runs or something.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:57 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Cook has the best average ever for a non Asian in Asia.

Cook has lost one remarkable record. He was the highest averaging opener in Asia ever (minimum 1000 runs) including Asian batters. But after two low scores in Chittagong, he has slipped fractionally behind Sehwag.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:07 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:

TBH it kind of was considering if bangladesh are a poor team any team struggling to beat them will be poor as well or actually loses to them.
Anyway yeah South Africa, England, Australia, NZ will be interesting since they all got flaws and strength, actually think England will come out on top.
Anyway not sure bangladesh are a poor side, they actually quite good at the moment, ok they got some flaws and will struggle overseas but got decent or good players coming through and they did play good cricket 95% of the time in the test which is very odd for them.

Teams will have to be very good to win games against Bangladesh especially at home.
not sure teams can just turn up and face bangladesh and win 80% of the time.

I'm not saying they are a poor side, I'd reserve that for the likes of Zimbabwe or Bangladesh 5 years ago who just couldn't beat one of the top sides unless it was a combination of over performance by them and massive under performance by the opposition. I'm not saying they can't win, just that I don't expect them to because of all the little factors England have that make them a better side overall regardless of conditions. We may have bad spinners, but we have players who can step up in those do or die moments and make a match winning difference.

Think of it like this, no one would have expected Sri Lanka to beat England in 2014, but they did. It happens. Bangladesh are certainly a good ODI side but they've a long way to go in Test cricket given they've never won a series against a top side, ever. To be honest, I don't think they have the players to string together enough good sessions to win a series as of yet, even against non Subcontinental teams.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby backfootpunch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:12 pm

Agree with every point in this post

All the England fans I know expected us to maybe squeeze a tight series against Bangladesh then get thumped by India

I'd be happy if we can win 1 test in india and I think that's optimistic unless cook bats like last time
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby backfootpunch » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:30 am

Ben stokes on 2016

6 tests

Batting average 59 bowling average 21.5
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby alfie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:57 am

bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:Aside from the fact that England will always be touring in very different conditions to what they face at home when they are in Asia whereas Bangladesh will either be at home or in relatively familiar conditions.

It's hardly rocket science to suggest that Bangladesh should be better equipped at home than a non subcontinental team, the fact of the matter is however that despite their improvements they aren't a particularly good side. On a pure skills basis the English batsmen are better than their counterparts, evident by the fact that even though the English spinners aren't all that good and the English batsmen don't play spin all that well, they still beat them.

Only just though so what basis are England favourites in the 2nd test.
The margin was so small that you could conclude the toss was crucial in deciding the game.
So would love to know what people saw in the first test that made them conclude England are favourites in the 2nd test.

I think that over 5 days that base difference in quality makes the difference, if Bangladesh make a pitch that turns sideways from day 1 then they're just as likely as England to get out cheaply on it. Bangladesh have improved a lot over the last few years, but they're always one session off collapsing in a heap.

If they have a very good day they could bury England, but realistically that would be them over performing.

TBH england are also one session off collapsing in a heap.
TBH you could probably say england just saying within touching distance with bangladesh is them over performing.

I do not think that is true. England actually did collapse - in both innings ; but their powerful late order batting was able to rescue them ; in a way that it is hard to see Bangladesh doing. Of course there is no guarantee that Stokes/Bairstow/Woakes will always be able to come to the party ; but their presence surely goes some way to safeguarding England against a complete meltdown - even in these alien conditions.

I would not stake my house on another England win ; but I do think it the likelier outcome : touring sides generally play better after they have got the first match out of the way - reasonably enough as they continue to adjust to the conditions. And I do believe England are the stronger team overall , even though this may be counteracted to a degree by the prevailing conditions.
I also expect quite a good match , again.
alfie

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:47 am

backfootpunch wrote:

Agree with every point in this post

Me too.

To make matters even worse for England, Anderson's out for the first test against India and doubtful for the whole series :roll: I know the pitches won't suit him anyway, but he's got a pretty solid record in Asia, and was excellent against Pakistan in the UAE and pretty decent on the last India tour in 2012.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:40 am

I see MS has done my job for me, so ill just..... :coat
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches