Second Test. SA v England. Cape Town, Jan 2-6

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Seond Test, SA v England. Cape Town, Jan 2-6

Postby mikesiva » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:47 pm

It makes no sense to pick an entire white team to play for South Africa, given their not-too-distant history...that would be the death knell of cricket as an inclusive sport in South Africa. CSA are looking to the future, and the future has to try as best as possible to get support from the non-white communities if it's to have any future after the present stars retire.

In 1977, the white population of South Africa was 16% of the population. Now, it is down to just eight percent of the population. Depending solely on white South Africans to make up your team is the sure way to ensure that cricket in South Africa becomes irrelevant.

The quota system is far from perfect, but bearing in mind that before 1990, non-whites were not allowed anywhere near the national team, it is arguably a necessary evil. It's pointless pretending that apartheid never existed, and that everything is hunky-dory now....

The last Test team had seven white players, one Asian, two "coloureds", and only one black player. I don't see anything wrong with that equation.

If you do away with quotas, and just pick players on "merit", and end up with all-white teams, then the South Africa side will end up going the way of the West Indies Test side...sliding into oblivion.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby westoelad » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:28 pm

20 year old Rabada described in AOC as "fast,very fast-this kid is scorched earth". Interesting!
westoelad

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:38 pm

Won't be an all White team anyway considering rabada, Amla, duminy, philander, piedt, bravuma and many more are in contention all they want is fair selection.

Like making splinter said wont be any clear solution to this but it quite obvious that players don't want it.

In all of this what the player wants should be the main consideration.

Quatos should only remain in domestic cricket, they should treat quotas just like grants and aid you get in schools/uni in this country. Should only be use to get poorer or black people into the system or best uni/school but after that it a even playing field the best get selected. By the way not being racist only mention black people in terms of South Africa giving more help to them if they are good enough, all the top black sportsmen in SA went to the top private schools, that where the government should be spending more time on.

personally think having them in domestic cricket is a good idea, one of the major reason they got loads of good cricketers but government needs to be patient not all of them will be good for the first team.

Over time more and more of the team will be coloured.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby greyblazer » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:06 pm

Playing against SA at Cape Town is never easy.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby m@tt » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:06 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:I don't think it is as simple as saying a quota system is right or wrong in South Africa. Given their modern history, there is obviously huge pressures to ensure that the legacy of apartheid is removed as quickly as possible, and cricket is one area where the South African side does not show a truly multicultural face of the rainbow nation.

Obviously, you want the best players to be playing the game, but when 80% of the population have minimal impact on the sport at the top level it is clear that something needs to be done to address this, the difficult part is how you do that.

That said, the current English side hardly does a good job of representing the ethnography of England and Wales.

Agreed, there's no simple solution. Although historically, cricket wasn't played much by blacks in South African, I believe it's now their second favourite sport behind football, if Wikipedia is to be believed. Yet they have been disproportionately represented in cricket. South Africa are certainly right to want to increase that representation.

Quotas are a way to do that, albeit a rather blunt solution that causes some short term pain and is hardly equal. But it's a long term project. Is it the right solution? I just don't know.

England also has some representation problems too, albeit not to the same degree. They are overly reliant on privately schooled players, with state schools woefully represented. Though whilst SA's problem is due to decades of racist policy, ours is mainly due to short-sighted decisions (school playing fields etc).
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:53 pm

m@tt wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:I don't think it is as simple as saying a quota system is right or wrong in South Africa. Given their modern history, there is obviously huge pressures to ensure that the legacy of apartheid is removed as quickly as possible, and cricket is one area where the South African side does not show a truly multicultural face of the rainbow nation.

Obviously, you want the best players to be playing the game, but when 80% of the population have minimal impact on the sport at the top level it is clear that something needs to be done to address this, the difficult part is how you do that.

That said, the current English side hardly does a good job of representing the ethnography of England and Wales.

Agreed, there's no simple solution. Although historically, cricket wasn't played much by blacks in South African, I believe it's now their second favourite sport behind football, if Wikipedia is to be believed. Yet they have been disproportionately represented in cricket. South Africa are certainly right to want to increase that representation.

Quotas are a way to do that, albeit a rather blunt solution that causes some short term pain and is hardly equal. But it's a long term project. Is it the right solution? I just don't know.

England also has some representation problems too, albeit not to the same degree. They are overly reliant on privately schooled players, with state schools woefully represented. Though whilst SA's problem is due to decades of racist policy, ours is mainly due to short-sighted decisions (school playing fields etc).

Personally, I am not in favour of a Quota system simply because positive discrimination is still discrimination regradless of the intentions. That said apartheid ended 20 years ago now and we are still yet to see a substancial coloured presence in the national side, so it is clear that simply letting things naturally develop is not working.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:57 pm

Interesting reading Bayliss' thoughts after the win especially about Compton. Here's a bloke who was harshly dropped from the Test side then turned in two very good performances in trying circumstances to prevent England collapsing in a heap twice in the same Test, yet:

"Ultimately, I'd like to see two of the top three guys as attacking-style batters," Bayliss said. "I just think if you have a couple of attacking guys up the top it puts pressure on the opposition a lot easier."

Talk about ungrateful.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:23 am

Making_Splinters wrote:Interesting reading Bayliss' thoughts after the win especially about Compton. Here's a bloke who was harshly dropped from the Test side then turned in two very good performances in trying circumstances to prevent England collapsing in a heap twice in the same Test, yet:

"Ultimately, I'd like to see two of the top three guys as attacking-style batters," Bayliss said. "I just think if you have a couple of attacking guys up the top it puts pressure on the opposition a lot easier."

Talk about ungrateful.

Those comments seem to be as equal, if not more directed towards Cook and Hales. The former for all the international experience should know when to move gears and Hales is a capable enough player to play that expansive role.

Bayliss says later "If you haven't got them [the attacking players], you pick the best available. And what Compton has proven at the moment is that, of the guys around, he's in the best top three."
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby backfootpunch » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:58 am

Making_Splinters wrote:Interesting reading Bayliss' thoughts after the win especially about Compton. Here's a bloke who was harshly dropped from the Test side then turned in two very good performances in trying circumstances to prevent England collapsing in a heap twice in the same Test, yet:

Talk about ungrateful.

previously i would agree with him but after a year of 40-3 after 40-3 i am glad we have someone who can grind out 80 off 240 balls
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:36 am

Steyn and Philander have terrific records at Newlands, averaging five wickets a match each.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:40 am

Anderson took eight wickets in 2010, the Test when Swann and Onions batted the match out with one wicket left.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby westoelad » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:47 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Steyn and Philander have terrific records at Newlands, averaging five wickets a match each.

And neither playing in 2nd test. Amla has just confirmed Rabada will replace Steyn.
westoelad

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:54 am

And their main batters there (since 2000) were Kallis and Smith. JK had six hundreds.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:05 pm

South Africa got a good record in this ground, but this ground should suit England.
need to get a positive result here either a draw or win.

Can not see England winning in the highvields, england technique against pace is crap.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:07 pm

South Africa would normally be favourites, but with their two best bowlers missing, and the batting misfiring, it doesn't seem that obvious how this will go.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches