England in SAffer.

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: England in SAffer.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:34 am

Ballance is a bit disappointing. He should have to demonstrate he's over his problem, at first class level. Ideally, in Lions games, if there were any.

If Bell wants to play for England, he could easily come back. He'll inevitably outscore the others at fc level. if england have batting problems, which they will, they'll go back to him. Though I don't think that would be sensible, given his long term struggles at international level.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby westoelad » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:56 am

Jordan is becoming a fixture in the squad so possesses something to the selectors which I can't see.
Bell has just tweeted that he's gutted and surprised to be left out. Appears he wasn't forewarned.I'd have thought such a long serving player should have deserved that.
westoelad

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:00 pm

Slipstream wrote:Mail - Nick Compton and Samit Patel are set to be named in the England Test squad. :shock:

Well, they were right.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Aidan11 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:02 pm

westoelad wrote:Jordan is becoming a fixture in the squad so possesses something to the selectors which I can't see.
Bell has just tweeted that he's gutted and surprised to be left out. Appears he wasn't forewarned.I'd have thought such a long serving player should have deserved that.

Yes, it's shocking if true. There were worse batsmen in the UAE than Bell but he's been made the fall guy. No doubt the selectors may use the "David Gower" line of being too old but if they do it is worth pointing out he is only one year older than Nick Compton.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Aidan11 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:05 pm

James Whittaker -

"Ian Bell has been an outstanding player for many years and undoubtedly still has plenty to offer England in the future. It was clearly a difficult decision but he has struggled for runs in recent series and we felt that it was the right time for him to take a break and spend time working on his game out of the spotlight.

"The inclusion of Nick Compton and Gary Ballance alongside Alex Hales, Joe Root and James Taylor gives Trevor Bayliss and Alastair Cook plenty of options in the top order.

"Adil Rashid showed plenty of promise in the UAE but the conditions in South Africa make the likelihood of playing two spinners extremely remote. Although he would have been selected as a back up spinner we feel there is an excellent opportunity for him to spend some time developing his white ball skills in the lead up to the ICC World T20 in March. It is likely that Adil will travel to Australia to play for a Big Bash franchise."
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Aidan11 wrote:
westoelad wrote:Jordan is becoming a fixture in the squad so possesses something to the selectors which I can't see.

Yes, it's shocking if true. There were worse batsmen in the UAE than Bell but he's been made the fall guy. No doubt the selectors may use the "David Gower" line of being too old but if they do it is worth pointing out he is only one year older than Nick Compton.

Hardly the fall guy. He's averaging under 30 over two years and isn't batting well, and hasn't for a while. It was quite justified to drop him. Though surprising nonetheless. Maybe a rest is what he needs, although he's a one format player now, so won't be, and hasn't been, on the treadmill as much anyway.

Just because it was a shock to him doesn't mean he wasn't told. Do we know he wasn't told, or just inferring it?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:22 pm

Aidan11 wrote:James Whittaker -

"Ian Bell has been an outstanding player for many years and undoubtedly still has plenty to offer England in the future."

The first of that just isn't true. He hasn't been outstanding since the Ashes of 2013, which in itself was a bit of a return to form. The second point is debatable, and 'undoubtedly' is obviously an overstatement.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby yuppie » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:24 pm

Agnew reckons Hales will open in SA.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby westoelad » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:25 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:

Hardly the fall guy. He's averaging under 30 over two years and isn't batting well, and hasn't for a while. It was quite justified to drop him. Though surprising nonetheless. Maybe a rest is what he needs, although he's a one format player now, so won't be, and hasn't been, on the treadmill as much anyway.

Just because it was a shock to him doesn't mean he wasn't told. Do we know he wasn't told, or just inferring it?

I would suspect that a tweet stating he was surprised and gutted to be omitted strongly implies that he hadn't beeen forewarned. Having said that given his recent form it certainly shouldn't have come as a surprise. Bayliss' recent comments suggest it's also come as a surprise to him.
westoelad

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:26 pm

OK, that was by the chief selector, so we can expect and understand that kind of comment, and it's fine really. I initially took it for the kind of sanctimonious, outraged reaction you get in the Mail/Express.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:28 pm

westoelad wrote:I would suspect that a tweet stating he was surprised and gutted to be omitted strongly implies that he hadn't beeen forewarned. Having said that given his recent form it certainly shouldn't have come as a surprise. Bayliss' recent comments suggest it's also come as a surprise to him.

But it doesn't have to mean he hasn't been told. Aren't we all reacting without knowing? But if he wasn't, that would be poor behaviour. Bayliss is a selector, so it can't have come as a surprise to him.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Aidan11 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:35 pm

yuppie wrote:Agnew reckons Hales will open in SA.

Compton it is then.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
westoelad wrote:I would suspect that a tweet stating he was surprised and gutted to be omitted strongly implies that he hadn't beeen forewarned. Having said that given his recent form it certainly shouldn't have come as a surprise. Bayliss' recent comments suggest it's also come as a surprise to him.

But it doesn't have to mean he hasn't been told. Aren't we all reacting without knowing? But if he wasn't, that would be poor behaviour. Bayliss is a selector, so it can't have come as a surprise to him.

Though I could easily be missing something, so fair enough.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Will anyone know?

I'd guess they'll play Cook, Hales and Compo in the top three, and Ballance will be reserve. Some have Taylor at three, but I can't see that happening. Surely the four previously named, and then Joe Root, will be ahead of JT for a top three slot?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:46 pm

My team from that squad would be:

Cook
Hales
Compton
Root
Taylor
Stokes