Aus v Eng ODI series

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Aus v Eng ODI series

Postby rich1uk » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:39 am

angus fraser seemed to hint during his commentary yesterday that taylor will be batting at #3 in this series
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby alfie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:55 pm

rich1uk wrote:angus fraser seemed to hint during his commentary yesterday that taylor will be batting at #3 in this series

Makes sense. With Hales and Ali at the top , and Morgan etc to come , he can play the Trott role . (Trott used to get a bit of flak for being one paced ; but England were actually a much better one day team with him in it)
alfie

Postby backfootpunch » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:07 pm

alfie wrote:
rich1uk wrote:angus fraser seemed to hint during his commentary yesterday that taylor will be batting at #3 in this series

Makes sense. With Hales and Ali at the top , and Morgan etc to come , he can play the Trott role . (Trott used to get a bit of flak for being one paced ; but England were actually a much better one day team with him in it)

We had a bowling attack that could defend 275 regularly when trott was in the team

Our current bowling attack struggles to defend 325

We can't afford someone to score 80 off 100 like trott used to as that means buttler and stokes have too much to do to get us to the 350 we need to win
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby alfie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:17 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
alfie wrote:

We had a bowling attack that could defend 275 regularly when trott was in the team

We can't afford someone to score 80 off 100 like trott used to as that means buttler and stokes have too much to do to get us to the 350 we need to win

You misunderstand me , backfoot. I wasn't advocating a return to those scoring rates . Just pointing out that having someone who can play an anchor role is still desirable , even in New Age Cricket....Sometimes you are 30/3 and a bit of solidity is required.

I think Taylor has the potential to accelerate better than Trott used to. Also note that Trott didn't have the same support ing cast of heavy hitters as are now available.

I think you'd agree three is the best place to put Taylor , if he is going to play ?
alfie

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:28 pm

Taylor has to bat three. He's done a decent job there in the past. It will be interesting how they try and fit everyone in, will Roy play having just hit a ton?
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby rich1uk » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:33 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Taylor has to bat three. He's done a decent job there in the past. It will be interesting how they try and fit everyone in, will Roy play having just hit a ton?

having ali and stokes in the team as main parts of the bowling attack does make things tricky to fit all the batters in as we will end up with the situation that 2 or 3 guys are going to be batting below their ideal position in the order

players just have to accept it and get on with it rather than feel aggrieved they end up batting at #7 or #8
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby ianp1970 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:36 pm

rich1uk wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:Taylor has to bat three. He's done a decent job there in the past. It will be interesting how they try and fit everyone in, will Roy play having just hit a ton?

having ali and stokes in the team as main parts of the bowling attack does make things tricky to fit all the batters in as we will end up with the situation that 2 or 3 guys are going to be batting below their ideal position in the order

players just have to accept it and get on with it rather than feel aggrieved they end up batting at #7 or #8

:thumb The more batting the better for me, and if we can have more bowling at the same time then it's a win/win :)
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby m@tt » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:58 pm

Good. Unlucky to have been dropped in the first place. At the start of the summer I would have kept him ahead of Morgan. But Morgan seemed a new man under Farbrace compared to under Moores.

Roy will be a bit hard done by, his form for Surrey remains very good, but didn't quite do enough against New Zealand to overtake Ali in the pecking order.

I'd expect them to start with:
01 Hales // 02 Ali // 03 Taylor // 04 Morgan // 05 Stokes // 06 Buttler // 07 Billings // 08 Rashid // 09 Willey // 10 Plunkett // 11 Finn

Wood is probably first choice, but maybe best to let him rest for a couple of games then bring him back in. Not sure Roy or Woakes will get a game if everyone stays fit.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby backfootpunch » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:21 pm

alfie wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:
alfie wrote:

You misunderstand me , backfoot. I wasn't advocating a return to those scoring rates . Just pointing out that having someone who can play an anchor role is still desirable , even in New Age Cricket....Sometimes you are 30/3 and a bit of solidity is required.

I think Taylor has the potential to accelerate better than Trott used to. Also note that Trott didn't have the same support ing cast of heavy hitters as are now available.

I think you'd agree three is the best place to put Taylor , if he is going to play ?

yes 3 is the only position he can play

but that is where root should bat so unless taylor plays out of his skin he is going to struggle to keep his place

that is unless they would consider opening with root and hales/roy
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:25 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
alfie wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:
alfie wrote:

yes 3 is the only position he can play

but that is where root should bat so unless taylor plays out of his skin he is going to struggle to keep his place

that is unless they would consider opening with root and hales/roy

There is a chance we could have Taylor at three and Root at four moving forwards, if he plays well enough to demand selection of course. That does push the likes of Morgan, Stokes etc a little too low in my opinion. Having two batsmen with international experiance and performance for the same slot never did anyone any harm.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby ianp1970 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:38 pm

A top 7 of Hales, Ali, Taylor, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler does push 4-7 a place lower than they prefer, but is that a bad thing?
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
ianp1970

Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:27 pm

ianp1970 wrote:A top 7 of Hales, Ali, Taylor, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler does push 4-7 a place lower than they prefer, but is that a bad thing?

Ultimately it shouldn't matter. If you lose your second wicket in the first 30 then Root is perfect, but after that pushing up Morgan or Buttler sorts that out. Sadly England have never seem to understood that.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby ianp1970 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:45 pm

Add in Willey, Rashid, Woakes and Finn, play them consistently for 18 months and we might even have a decent chance of competing at CT2017 :o

ianp1970

Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby backfootpunch » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:12 pm

ianp1970 wrote:A top 7 of Hales, Ali, Taylor, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler does push 4-7 a place lower than they prefer, but is that a bad thing?

i think it is yeah, buttler and root are our trump cards and should bat in the positions that allow them to have the most effect on the game which for their specific skills are 3 and 6

backfootpunch

Postby backfootpunch » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:16 pm

though interestingly buttler has a considerably better record as a number 7 than a number 6

1 hundred and 1 fifty in 18 innings at 6 compared to 1 hundred and 6 fifties in 29 innings at 7

i would rather root opened than batted four tbh and think moeen would be good at 5

so one option if taylor plays so well he has to be in the team is

hales
root
taylor
morgan
moeen
stokes
buttler

the stats suggest that buttler is better going in at 7 and just smashing it for 30 balls, when he has to build an innings he gets out

backfootpunch

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches