Second Test: West Indies v England, April 21-25

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Second Test: West Indies v England, April 21-25

Postby yuppie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:23 am

WI have performed well in this series, and a returning Taylor might just give them the feeling that they could win the last test.

Will England change anything for the last test. A very underwhelming tour so far that must have them worried for the summer ahead.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby hopeforthebest » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:34 am

yuppie wrote:WI have performed well in this series, and a returning Taylor might just give them the feeling that they could win the last test.

Will England change anything for the last test. A very underwhelming tour so far that must have them worried for the summer ahead.

I would replace Roach with Taylor if he's fit as Roach couldn't bowl above 80 mph yesterday morning even after a nights rest.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby captaincolly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:36 am

I'd pick either Rashid or Wood for the last test to both provide some variation in the attack and to give them international experience ahead of the busy summer. I don't expect it will happen though.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:55 am

Hardly surprising that this series is likely to end up in a draw fest, when 4 of the 5 games in the last England tour of the WI ended up the same way.

Definitely have to give credit to the WI batsman who were predicted to fall over like skittles, but our bowling attack does need serious attention. Will probably get away with it to some extent at home which is why I expect the tinkering will be minimal.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:43 pm

Its ironic really that a team so obsessed with data is struggling after picking a team that seems to purposefully ignore all the data you could want on how to pick a team for these conditions.

England picked a similar team at the start of the last series and lost. Their pace bowlers were all completely numbed on these pitches, Sidebottom SR was 360!! Harmison over 150... Anderson took one wicket per innings. Broad took a 5-for in the first test played on an uneven surface but did nothing after. Both teams relied heavily on their main spin option, who was the top wicket taker (Swann missed the first two tests and still took 7 wickets more than anyone else).

Looking at the data, Windies domestic cricket is dominated by spin, the pitches are now Asian in character, and we rocked up to this test with 4 fast medium bowlers and a spin option who averages 40 per wicket in FC cricket.

Its catastrophic really. You go on a tour where the consideration should be two or possibly three spin options and end up picking one part time option and asking a batsman with 18 FC wickets to bowl as much as the seamers and struggle to take wickets.

The fact Rashid didnt play in this test is unforgivable. If England think their long term plan of picking a part timer as a frontline spinner will work they are deluded.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby rich1uk » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:46 pm

had to laugh at Jonathon agnew describing chris Jordan as an all-rounder

I do agree that we need something different in the bowling attack than 4 fairly similar seamers and a spinner who may have been a bit over-rated with the ball and is looking here more like the guy with a first class bowling average of 40 than what he did last summer

boycott did make a good point that England do seem more concerned with economy rates than wicket taking and shouldn't be scared to play rashid who might go for a few more runs but also might get you more wickets
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Dilbert » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:48 pm

They should drop Jordon, Stokes and pick up Rashid and Tredwell. I would drop Broad, but he is undroppable I guess.
Stop thinking of picking bowlers who can bat. Pick bowlers who can pick wickets.
2012 IPL prediction guru
2012 World T20 champs prediction guru
2012-13 India-Pakistan LO prediction guru
2013 SA vs Pakistan Tests prediction guru
2016 World T20 champs prediction guru
Dilbert

Team(s) Supported: India all the way !

Postby rich1uk » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:52 pm

Dilbert wrote:They should drop Jordon, Stokes and pick up Rashid and Tredwell. I would drop Broad, but he is undroppable I guess.
Stop thinking of picking bowlers who can bat. Pick bowlers who can pick wickets.

why would you pick tredwell if you want a wicket taking threat ?

the first innings of the first test was the exception rather than the norm , he cant even get a game for his county in FC cricket and averages 36 with the ball in FC cricket

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby Gingerfinch » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:52 pm

Not sure Broad is picked cos he can bat. I think at this time when we look to be lacking in class fast bowlers, Broad should definitely be in the team.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Dilbert » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:55 pm

rich1uk wrote:
Dilbert wrote:They should drop Jordon, Stokes and pick up Rashid and Tredwell. I would drop Broad, but he is undroppable I guess.

the first innings of the first test was the exception rather than the norm , he cant even get a game for his county in FC cricket and averages 36 with the ball in FC cricket

He is the best of what is available. Don't think he is worse than Jordon or Stokes, and if paired with Rashid/Ali he can be a threat, or even hold one end up for Rashid to attack.
2012 IPL prediction guru
Dilbert

Postby rich1uk » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Dilbert wrote:
rich1uk wrote:

He is the best of what is available. Don't think he is worse than Jordon or Stokes, and if paired with Rashid/Ali he can be a threat, or even hold one end up for Rashid to attack.

he shouldn't even be in the squad tho and yes he is a worse option than Jordan or stokes , I would rather have joe root used as a spin option than tredwell

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby Dilbert » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:58 pm

Gingerfinch wrote:Not sure Broad is picked cos he can bat. I think at this time when we look to be lacking in class fast bowlers, Broad should definitely be in the team.

He is not bowling fast though, is he? Was averaging 78-80 mph yesterday
2012 IPL prediction guru
Dilbert

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:58 pm

Angnew calls for Jordan to be dropped in his write up on the BBC. He also decides to join in the Cook love in that's currently going on yet again lauding the imaginative field placings, these must be like the Emperor's new clothes because I've not seen a drop of imagination from England. Guess I'm just not knowledgable enough about the game to see it.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Gingerfinch » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:00 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Gingerfinch wrote:Not sure Broad is picked cos he can bat. I think at this time when we look to be lacking in class fast bowlers, Broad should definitely be in the team.

He is not bowling fast though, is he? Was averaging 78-80 mph yesterday

Got up to late 80's, although his pace has been down at times.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Dilbert » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:01 pm

rich1uk wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
rich1uk wrote:

he shouldn't even be in the squad tho and yes he is a worse option than Jordan or stokes , I would rather have joe root used as a spin option than tredwell

Jordon and Stokes are not getting you wickets. The wickets are not conducive to their type of bowling. Tredwell did ok in the 1st test, has better numbers to show than those 2. Paired with Rashid and Ali there is a chance he can do better. We know stokes/Jordon aren't doing anything so why not give it a go? These are spinning tracks anyway and Andersen and Broad should be enough.
2012 IPL prediction guru
Dilbert

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches