Australia/England/India Tri Series Jan/Feb 2015

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Australia/England/India Tri Series Jan/Feb 2015

Postby shankycricket » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:36 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:Newman underestimating india here.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricke ... icely.html
India may be the defending champions but they are not looking like it in Australia. They are already weary having lost a Test series here and seemed uninterested when they were thrashed by England in the Tri-series in Brisbane.

If England meet india in Melbourne I highly doubt india will look uninterested plus not sure Melbourne will have the pace and bounce.
Plus india did nearly score 300+ in the Australia vs India melbourne game.

Not saying india will win the world cup but India does have good record in ICC event and I highly doubt india would give the trophy away lightly.

England vs India looks a 50/50 game to me if they meet in the quarters finals not really much to choose between the teams.
Melbourne isn't gonna have the pace and bounce to worry the Indians so not sure how England are gonna get 10 cheap Indian wickets again and England still haven't really posted a match winning total or chased a big total yet.

England probably got the best group since 50% chance of getting Pak/WI/Ireland and only SA looks a tough game with India being a 50-50.

England should get to the Semis since I can't see Pak/WI doing much.

Nearly 300? Which planet are you living on? 268 is 32 runs short of 300. And thats a significant difference in ODIs.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Aidan11 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:37 pm

This series seems to be taking forever.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby shankycricket » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:40 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:Not sure you can read much into it after one game. You don't become a good or bad team overnight. Just think people are going over the top over one game plus I never really liked paul Newman writing he always sounds bitter in his articles.
Not sure india not training/ not training hard in Perth because of the weather is a big deal end of the day the game is meaningless and dhoni and co are using the 4-5 days as break after a long tour and to get refreshed for the World Cup. I just find it so annoying that they want teams to constantly train hard and play 100 percent every game especially in warm up games.

Ps anyways made the comment since not sure the gabba game will have any bearing if they meet at the knockout stages. Let's say if india wins at Perth and the final will they suddenly become favorites no they won't india will always be 3rd to 4th favorite and the india vs england game would be 50-50 could go either way. The Perth or the gabba game will never change that.

India haven't won a single game in ANY FORMAT across their last 3 tours in the Southern Hemisphere. It is NOT ONE BAD game for heaven's sake. This is a very average 2 man team.

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby shankycricket » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:54 pm

rich1uk wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:
rich1uk wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:
rich1uk wrote:if I was an indian fan my biggest worry would be that atm they don't look to have a clue what the bowling line-up should be , and that's with only a couple of games to go

obviously with the format being what it is there are 6 more games to sort it out before they play a match that means anything but the side doesn't look settled at all

Is anybody predicting an upset in the groups?

England might win more than 3 games ;)

That may happen.

I'm not up on the associates, but there is normally a shock at every world cup.

I wouldn't put a lot of money on England beating aus, NZ or SL. Ireland are always fired up for a game against us and with our record against spin then Bangladesh isn't a given

England play SL at windy Wellington, where the ball will swing. They actually had the better of SL in the ODI series in SL (despite Cook and without Anderson) outside Colombo. Surely they ought to fancy their chances at a traditionally swing/seam friendly venue especially considering how ordinary SL have been in NZ so far.

shankycricket

Postby shankycricket » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:58 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:might be wrong but Rahane scored runs in the test.
Why is Rahane always forgotten or underrated he is india best bat overseas.
Anyway either way india had 2 and 1/2 games if you only talking about ODI.
nearly scored 300 + against australia didn't really see anything that worried me there apart not batting well at the death but give credit to australia Starc bowled well.
One bad game against england happen hopefully it is an one off.
washout against Australia.

Edit plus Lokesh Rahul scored a ton so about 4 different players score tons and India top 5 out batted Australia top 5 not sure you can say it was all kohli/Vijay.

Only Kohli of those is a matchwinner in ODIs. And Dhoni. What has Vijay/Rahul got to do with the WC? We have Dhawan and Rayudu at the WC.

shankycricket

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Aidan11 wrote:This series seems to be taking forever.

It is surprisingly spread out - traditionally down here, it has been games on Sunday, Tuesday/Wednesday and Friday. No mid-week game this week, at least, due to the big bash.

Revenue maximisation.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby KipperJohn » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:16 am

rich1uk wrote:
KipperJohn wrote:I thought England got a bonus point against India -how many points did india get for a washed out game? How does it work that India get to the final if they beat England?

you get 4 points for a win, 2 points for a tie/no result and only 1 point for the bonus

so india got 2 points for the washout England on 5 for the win + bonus point

so if india win they go to 6 points

Thanks rich. However, I fail to see how they came up with a no result having the same value as a tie.
KipperJohn

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:24 am

Both are a share of the points.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:33 am

(Quite apart from his influence on the debate on global inequality) Stuart Broad is attracting some press for sub-par bowling in this series. While there seems likely to be debate over who makes way if Tredwell comes into the side, I have some reservations over this criticism, seeing as he played through injury all last summer and has just returned from an operation.

But, his performances over the past few years aren't really any better than others who have made way. So I'm not sure Broad should have a stronger claim than Woakes and Finn.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby rich1uk » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:22 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:(Quite apart from his influence on the debate on global inequality) Stuart Broad is attracting some press for sub-par bowling in this series. While there seems likely to be debate over who makes way if Tredwell comes into the side, I have some reservations over this criticism, seeing as he played through injury all last summer and has just returned from an operation.

But, his performances over the past few years aren't really any better than others who have made way. So I'm not sure Broad should have a stronger claim than Woakes and Finn.

that's why I said if we try to find a way to get tredwell into the team on current form it should be broad who misses out , but did also recognise that this has been his first cricket for 5 months

he has, by a long way, been the poorest of the seam bowlers for us in this series imo
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby rich1uk » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:33 am

shankycricket wrote: England play SL at windy Wellington, where the ball will swing. They actually had the better of SL in the ODI series in SL (despite Cook and without Anderson) outside Colombo. Surely they ought to fancy their chances at a traditionally swing/seam friendly venue especially considering how ordinary SL have been in NZ so far.

and wellington is also the ground that NZ themselves, who I reckon might know a little about conditions there, have said they might play two spinners at
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:45 am

It be a 50-50 game hard to call at this stage.
People are reading too much into the conditions I highly doubt pitches will have so much pace and bounce apart from maybe Gabba and perth and both grounds are not hosting any big games and ODI pitches never have grass so seam or lateral movement of the pitches is impossible, Swing is the only possibility and even then it is short lived and pretty easy to deal with for international batsman. I highly doubt India, sri lanka or any Sub C teams will be dismissed under 230-250 every major game because the batting conditions are so tough.
Sri lanka don't exactly struggle with seam or swing in ODI otherwise they would never really have good or decent record in ODI at places like england. You can't really say sri lanka lost to New Zealand because of the conditions it is more of New Zealand being the better team and lets not forget sri lanka won a game and pushed them close in 2 other games.

Pitches are generally gonna be flat and high scoring Sri lanka biggest problem will be their bowling attack and batting when big 3/4 if you include Matthews fail.
But thing with ODI is bad bowling, limited bowling can be worked with if the batting clicks or if the bowlers stick to a plan and bowl to the field generally you can make the batting team get themselves out because of the pressure of runs in the board or trying to score far too quickly to set a target.

Not gonna lie this is a close world cup Australia and SA look the stand out team, NZ look good at home conditions. Eng/India/Sri lanka will be tough teams to beat.
Only WI/Pak probably not gonna do much but even they could cause couple of shocks it only takes one defeat to be out of this world cup.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Aidan11 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:44 am

Finally we have a game tonight (or tomorrow morning depending on where you live).
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby KipperJohn » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:18 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Both are a share of the points.

Yes but in totally different circumstances. A no result due to being unable to complete 20 overs a side (I think). A tie has far more merit from a playing point of view.

In passing I thought this thread was about the tri-series - the World Cup has several of it's own.
KipperJohn

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Both sides potentially lose out in relation to the third side if there is no result, so a share of the points offers compensation. I can't remember it ever being different.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches