Australia/England/India Tri Series Jan/Feb 2015

World T20 champs

Re: Australia/England/India Tri Series Jan/Feb 2015

Postby Robert » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:25 pm

clubcricketeradi wrote:imo Moeen has grabbed the chances well than both Ravi and Ben in their initial career.

Maybe, but investing in Stokes as a top order batsman might be a gamble worth taking.
Robert

Postby shankycricket » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:06 am

clubcricketeradi wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:England qualifying above India in ODI'S :Nooooo

At present, I do think our team is better. These words might bite me on the bum!

I can't believe it. Even if England qualify above us in ODI i would take it as exception.

Not in Australian conditions.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:43 am

Such a weird Comment I will make which will pretty much contradict everything I say in the sentence.

I think people are overestimating/ going over the top if they think England are pretty much guaranteed to reach final, they still need to beat india although they should beat india at perth if they play like they did at the gabba, but at the same time it quite hard to be certain on England.

Also people are underestimating india not sure they were even thinking about winning the tri series/games they look more interested in trying players/strategies, batting and bowling orders. Quite hard to see them playing like that in the world cup, Wouldn't surprise me if they did win at Sydney and at Perth to qualify and knockout England.

Also people (mostly indian fans now) overestimating india chances of world cup success, Batting is probably the weakest since 2012/13 and even Dhoni knows it but india run out of time to fix it before world cup, Bowling look very poor. India would have to play out of their skins to reach the final or semis, if the super 6 format was still here not sure India would get into semis but with this format india got a chance to get far if they win game when it matters.
I think Dhoni is using the Tri series to try and fix india batting order not sure he really cares if india wins or loses right now.
I wonder if Dhoni would do what Chappell suggested although Not to the extent of binny opening but binny batting at 4.

For some reason I think this might be india best team for the world cup. (although have no idea where binny or Raina should bat)
Rahane
Rohit
Kohli
Binny
Raina
Dhoni
Jadeja
Axar/Ashwin
BK
Ishant
Yadav

binny actually looks to be a good batsman batted well in england in the test and looked good at the gabba plus it means india has a bowling option in the top 6 would be a good option if Dhawan/Rayudu fail in the World cup.

Binny is getting lots of hate from people because of his dad being a selector but he isn't actually a bad option and he probably india best seam all rounder.
Rishi Dhawan is Close but not sure his batting is good enough for international cricket and he isn't getting picked for his bowling.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby rich1uk » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:47 am

the only people under-estimating india bhav are indian fans , and shanks has always been the most pessimistic poster on here about his own team's chances , no matter who they were at the time ;)
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby meninblue » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:51 am

shankycricket wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:England qualifying above India in ODI'S :Nooooo

At present, I do think our team is better. These words might bite me on the bum!

I can't believe it. Even if England qualify above us in ODI i would take it as exception.

Not in Australian conditions.

Disagree :thumb
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby shankycricket » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:57 am

Agree on Binny, bhavesh. Certainly looks technically more accomplished than Dhawan or Rayudu. But Dhawan at 4, away from the moving ball may be worth a shout.

Yadav should be nowhere near the side.
rich1uk wrote:the only people under-estimating india bhav are indian fans , and shanks has always been the most pessimistic poster on here about his own team's chances , no matter who they were at the time ;)

India haven't won any of their last 10 ODIs in Aus, SA or NZ. As you say the format gives us a chance but we really aren't that good a side in these conditions. Our test team looked more competitive in SA and NZ than the ODI side last winter. And this tri series seems to be following a similar pattern too.

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:58 am

Weirdly enough the bonus point isn't that important right now since both India and England got their own destiny in their hands.
India wins both games they go through, loses against Aus means the bonus point becomes crucial and England pretty much through although india only needs a tie/washout against Aus to make the England vs India game a semi final.

England has to win against india they lose and they are dependent on Australia beating india and the bonus point/NRR being the decider.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby rich1uk » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:01 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:Weirdly enough the bonus point isn't that important right now since both India and England got their own destiny in their hands.
India wins both games they go through, loses against Aus means the bonus point becomes crucial and England pretty much through although india only needs a tie/washout against Aus to make the England vs India game a semi final.

England has to win against india they lose and they are dependent on Australia beating india and the bonus point/NRR being the decider.

from my point of view getting to the final just means getting another game under the belt for the guys who need it

team selection for England is difficult now as we seem to have committed already to the XI to start the world cup and do we just stick with that XI and try to get a run going or give some of the others a couple of games just in case they are needed

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby meninblue » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:07 pm

rich1uk wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:Weirdly enough the bonus point isn't that important right now since both India and England got their own destiny in their hands.

from my point of view getting to the final just means getting another game under the belt for the guys who need it

team selection for England is difficult now as we seem to have committed already to the XI to start the world cup and do we just stick with that XI and try to get a run going or give some of the others a couple of games just in case they are needed

With Bell coming good England have one major opening problem sorted which has been causing headaches for years. At least his form will keep it away until end of WC.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:10 pm

rich1uk wrote:

:thumb
I think for england they need to pick the best 11 still to get confidence and momentum rolling, they can always give the other players chances in the World cup warm up games by playing 12-15 players.

England have looked really good in this tournament they need to keep it up and not lose it by trying out other players.
I hope Newman, jon Etheridge and the rest stop being annoying if England or other teams play more than 11 players they are not playing the games for the public or for the journalist enjoyment.
The sole purpose is practice and to get some game time.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby rich1uk » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:11 pm

I know this wont be a majority opinion but I am still unconvinced about moeen opening

he is very much hit or miss, on his day will make a quick 60-70, if his luck doesn't hold he will get next to nothing. he tries to over-hit everything imo and only reason it works is we have two guys like taylor and root coming in behind him who can absorb the loss of an early wicket. I want our openers to be positive but I do think he would do better if he just chilled a little and wasn't trying to hit every ball out of the ground.

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby shankycricket » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Still think England have got no option.but to stick.with Bopara. I know he is not contributing but its hard to imagine a team with Root as the 6th bowling option (not that Hales or Ballance are suited to batting at 6 anyway) or a tail of Woakes, Broad and 3 number XIs.

shankycricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:23 pm

rich1uk wrote:the only people under-estimating india bhav are indian fans , and shanks has always been the most pessimistic poster on here about his own team's chances , no matter who they were at the time ;)

My Comment Wasn't really based on Shanky or India fans but more on the media, Some comments I read and articles suggest England are pretty much guaranteed in the final.

Most people had England 90-100% already in the final because of that gabba win even though it is still 50-50 considering india only needs 1 win and a tie. Just thought many people didn't know what the permutations were.

Daily mail, Telegraph articles certainly gave the impression England are through to the final.

Although I have to admit most of the articles are based on England doing well and looking good for the world cup and even if they don't make the final it will still have been a successful Tri series.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby rich1uk » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:24 pm

shankycricket wrote:Still think England have got no option.but to stick.with Bopara. I know he is not contributing but its hard to imagine a team with Root as the 6th bowling option (not that Hales or Ballance are suited to batting at 6 anyway) or a tail of Woakes, Broad and 3 number XIs.

I agree

with the squad we have there are three options; relying totally on just 5 bowlers, having a long tail or playing bopara

altho I would still be tempted to go for option 1 or 2

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:31 pm

rich1uk wrote:I know this wont be a majority opinion but I am still unconvinced about moeen opening

he is very much hit or miss, on his day will make a quick 60-70, if his luck doesn't hold he will get next to nothing. he tries to over-hit everything imo and only reason it works is we have two guys like taylor and root coming in behind him who can absorb the loss of an early wicket. I want our openers to be positive but I do think he would do better if he just chilled a little and wasn't trying to hit every ball out of the ground.

Yep saw this in the last game he trying to hard to score runs that he playing and missing a lot.
Although got a feeling he only doing it because of Moores/ Media.
Everyone now expect him to score quickly all the time and he trying to do it every game, he never really batted like this for Worcestershire so must be either a plan by moores or he feeling the pressure and the media perception of him being a pinch hitter/aggressor is getting to him and he thinks his job/role is to do it all the time.

Ian bell should have had a word with him during the middle last game but then again he did hit 3 sixes in row so he probably a genius/type of player england need in the top 6 especially with buttler batting down the order and not really having time to win games.
If Ali becomes more smart he will be a quality ODI player he just to inexperienced right now.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches