England v Ireland at Lord's, 24/7.

World T20 champs

Re: England v Ireland at Lord's, 24/7.

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:08 pm

Jason roy seems to think it's a t20

Appalling innings so far
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Roy edges through vacant third slip (why would you not have 3rd slip in for him).... he was on the move down the track. He's sticking to what he knows so far....
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Roy edges through vacant third slip (why would you not have 3rd slip in for him).... he was on the move down the track. He's sticking to what he knows so far....
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby alfie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:12 pm

Ha...lucky for Roy. Ireland made an error removing the third slip did they not ? Can Roy make them pay ?

Even if he does make a score today I think the Australians will fancy their chances against him. But that's for next week...right now England need him to give Ed Smith a chance to preen again...
alfie

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Moving down the pitch, driving on the up, hitting with a close faced down the ground outside off..... I tell you one thing, if Roy makes a career of himself in tests, its going to be anything but uneventful.

Its like watching Kevin Pietersen bat after he's drank a fifth of vodka.

sussexpob

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Tim Murtagh bowling military medium will have something to do with Roy shuffling down the crease, one delivery registered at 72.7mph!
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:39 pm

sussexpob wrote:Moving down the pitch, driving on the up, hitting with a close faced down the ground outside off..... I tell you one thing, if Roy makes a career of himself in tests, its going to be anything but uneventful.

Its like watching Kevin Pietersen bat after he's drank a fifth of vodka.

To be fair to Roy, he's been picked to play like he does in ODIs, and given some licence to go out there and attack a bit and try and put the opposition bowlers on the back foot. He's not going to be successful trying to play like a classic opener, and if he does play 'his way', when it does come off, England will be in a good position.

The question is whether it comes off often enough to be worth the inevitable failures the methods will bring.

Meanwhile, while Burns also doesn't look convincing, who else is there? In all seriousness, England have been through just about everyone in the county game, and either they've not been up to test level either, or any promise they have shown has been ruthlessly crushed by poor management.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:48 pm

Leach brings up his 50

sussexpob

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:52 pm

sussexpob wrote:Leach brings up his 50

Hahaha. A bit streaky, but well done to him.

He does have two first class 50s, so not a complete rabbit in headlights. But a test high score of 16 before today...
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:53 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote: To be fair to Roy, he's been picked to play like he does in ODIs, and given some licence to go out there and attack a bit and try and put the opposition bowlers on the back foot. He's not going to be successful trying to play like a classic opener, and if he does play 'his way', when it does come off, England will be in a good position.

The question is whether it comes off often enough to be worth the inevitable failures the methods will bring.

Meanwhile, while Burns also doesn't look convincing, who else is there? In all seriousness, England have been through just about everyone in the county game, and either they've not been up to test level either, or any promise they have shown has been ruthlessly crushed by poor management.

Plenty of players do well being aggressive at the top... Sehwag, Warner to name two.... but niether have played anywhere near their career rates in English conditions. Its a we will see... my guess is at least, when conditions are more tame, he at least has proven he can score big runs. I imagine he might to better away, and be very up and down.

As for Burns, I respect the point, but I also am not in the frame of mind to give up and just accept a player has no alternatives. I concede its early doors for him and he needs more opportunity, but I just dont see a technique there. If a bowler with 10 FC wickets at 50 and a 72 mph military medium guy is unopening major technical errors in your game, it leaves little hope that he can do it against the very best.

How a player can get through a winter in the England setup and a county career with a great record without being able to judge length or get forward... ok maybe hes off form or needs time, but these are massive elementary mistakes. And the ball did nothing today.

sussexpob

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:55 pm

Roy is over hitting

Trying to whack it and losing his shape

He played one beautiful drive but the rest of them his bottom hand has come in
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:58 pm

Roy meanwhile gunshots one through the diving covers..... fraction closer, and the fielder has a chance (but it would have taken some catching as it has fire coming of it)

sussexpob

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:59 pm

This is the highest score by an England opener batting in England and not named Alastair Cook since Alex Hales made 94 v Sri Lanka at this ground in June 2016!
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ew=innings
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:00 pm

Roy then top edges one for four.... this innings is hysterical.... Road Rash central

sussexpob

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:00 pm

sussexpob wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote: To be fair to Roy, he's been picked to play like he does in ODIs, and given some licence to go out there and attack a bit and try and put the opposition bowlers on the back foot. He's not going to be successful trying to play like a classic opener, and if he does play 'his way', when it does come off, England will be in a good position.

Plenty of players do well being aggressive at the top... Sehwag, Warner to name two.... but niether have played anywhere near their career rates in English conditions. Its a we will see... my guess is at least, when conditions are more tame, he at least has proven he can score big runs. I imagine he might to better away, and be very up and down.

As for Burns, I respect the point, but I also am not in the frame of mind to give up and just accept a player has no alternatives. I concede its early doors for him and he needs more opportunity, but I just dont see a technique there. If a bowler with 10 FC wickets at 50 and a 72 mph military medium guy is unopening major technical errors in your game, it leaves little hope that he can do it against the very best.

How a player can get through a winter in the England setup and a county career with a great record without being able to judge length or get forward... ok maybe hes off form or needs time, but these are massive elementary mistakes. And the ball did nothing today.

Agreed, but I just don't know who the alternatives are.

Robson was very hard done by IMO.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches