Second Test: West Indies v England, April 21-25

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Second Test: West Indies v England, April 21-25

Postby KipperJohn » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:04 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Knight adds to the nonsense, praising Cook for his extra cover when Bravo was caught off an edge from a forward defense.

Are they on commision for the number of times they can try and convince us Cook is a half decent skipper?

One cannot ignore the obvious hook up between the ECB and Sky.
KipperJohn

Postby shankycricket » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:38 pm

This pitch is an absolute disgrace.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:39 pm

Looks like a good effort by the West Indies.

I think negative tactics (as exemplified by the way England play) have made for rather boring games. This series hasn't been exciting. But there is some good Test cricket being played. I've enjoyed watching the Kiwis for instance.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby shankycricket » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:59 pm

This has been a very boring series. Still prefer watching it to Chris Gayle slogging trundlers on flat tracks and commentators going gaga over it and Danny Morrison flirting with cheergirls in the IPHell though.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:10 am

England just don't have the bowling attack to take 20 wickets, it's as simple as that.

Plunkett has got to come in for Jordan for the 3rd test, along with Rashid for Moeen.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:12 am

It has been a series without much intensity and few thrilling contests. It was good to see Holder's innings in Antigua and Root has played well generally. Otherwise it's hard to lose the feeling that this is two ordinary teams in combat. It would be characteristic of the best of Test cricket to watch Ballance play his innings against, say, the ferocity of Allan Donald. But on these pitches, against this attack, not so much. It'll be interesting to see how the Aussies get on against the West Indies. England should do ok v NZ on their own pitches, but will be anxious.

Nice to see WI defy the script, even so.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby rich1uk » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:22 am

The Waugh Twins wrote:
dan08 wrote:Is it just me or is Test cricket generally dull nowadays? I think South Africa v Australia is the only series I've enjoyed in the last year.

No it's not just you, I'm sure that the number of test loving fans across the world are extremely, extremely, most extremely a minority. Doesn't help though when captains don't know when to declare.

England should have set themselves up to take the second new ball for maybe 5 overs before stumps today. There lies your problem. I don't recall seeing any commentators even rumour at the thought.

To finish the day with 75 overs bowled and to my knowledge no one has even considered that targeting 85 overs might have been a good idea is just flabbergasting, and has been more than enough to dig my way out of my hibernation. Geez it's still cold though.

teams wont want a new ball for 5 overs at the tail end of the day after spending 80 overs in the field and the bowlers too tired to make good use of it
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby yuppie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:52 am

WI have done a great job and are all but safe unless the second new ball does some quick damage.

NZ must be liking what they see
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby captaincolly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:27 am

Once again the pitch is not conducive to good test cricket but that'll only be a partial excuse if England don't win. They're playing against a poor side who they should be able to beat in any conditions.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby Aidan11 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:49 am

I have to admit I gave up watching this shortly after the tea session.

WIs are well in control and the only thing that will bring a result is if WIs collapse from here or England are put in late and have a spectacular collapse. On this pitch neither are gonna happen.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby captaincolly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:53 am

Aidan11 wrote:I have to admit I gave up watching this shortly after the tea session.

WIs are well in control and the only thing that will bring a result is if WIs collapse from here or England are put in late and have a spectacular collapse. On this pitch neither are gonna happen.

I agree, it woukd take some inept batting from either side to prevent a bore draw. The last test should be interesting-especially to C Graves! Cook is probably safe for the time being but is Moores?
captaincolly

Postby yuppie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:02 am

Is there any semi decent left arm quicks in England who could come in and bring some variety to this England attack?

Obviously England don't like wrist spinners, so the next option would be to find a left arm quick so there is something different.

As it is England have 4 right arms medium quick's who just plugg away and get shown up on pitches like this.

England are just so predictable. So far in this second innings 45 overs have come from right arm medium quicks and 30 from right arm of break. Oh to have a wrist spinner and a left arm quick.
yuppie

Postby yuppie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:04 am

captaincolly wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:I have to admit I gave up watching this shortly after the tea session.

I agree, it woukd take some inept batting from either side to prevent a bore draw. The last test should be interesting-especially to C Graves! Cook is probably safe for the time being but is Moores?

Never know WI might declare at tea and then get Cook out cheaply. Put a bit more pressure on him for the last test.
yuppie

Postby captaincolly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:14 am

yuppie wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

Never know WI might declare at tea and then get Cook out cheaply. Put a bit more pressure on him for the last test.

That would put him under pressure, the last test is an absolute must win and even if it's won with relative ease it won't make up for the poor performances in the first 2 tests.
captaincolly

Postby hopeforthebest » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:22 am

One has to admire the grit shown by the WI batsmen. I thought Atherton somewhat amusing yesterday when he said WI should score faster when they are scoring faster than we did early on. England 159/2 in 64.1 overs, WI 202/2 in 75 overs.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches