Australia/England/India Tri Series Jan/Feb 2015

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: Australia/England/India Tri Series Jan/Feb 2015

Postby alfie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:02 am

Whatever happens when England bat , this innings showed how hard it is to restrict this Australian ODI outfit. Four wickets down early and a slow run rate in the first half , but they still end up with 278.
When a player as good as Faulkner is lurking at eight , you know you are never really through to the tail until they're all out.
alfie

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:04 am

Well, what an absorbing session of cricket that was. Other than Chris Woakes (who was woeful), I thought the England bowlers bowled pretty well. The Aussies were on the ropes early on, but what makes Australia such a formidable ODI side is their ability to recover from such positions. I reckon George Bailey is in big trouble, his form is dreadful. Glenn Maxwell is doing his best to stay in the team, and rode his luck to get to 95. Why he persists on playing reverse swipes when he looked as scratchy as did I do not know. Mitch Marsh looks better every time I see him. His run out was potentially catastrophic. As for James Faulkner, in a word; sensational! Should be quite a chase. Oz favourites to win from here.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:09 am

Since Woakes started to bowl faster he's lost his ability to swing the ball and can't find a good line and length.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:11 am

shankycricket wrote:
rich1uk wrote:misses out on his 100 but a very important innings for Maxwell both in the context of this game and maybe his own place in the side with places to be found for Watson and maybe Clarke come the world cup

I hope they don't try to find a place for Twatto. Clarke for Bailey. Rest, same as today.

You're right on the money there, Shanks. I reckon after this tournament, Twatto and one or too others might get tapped on the shoulder and call it a day.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby alfie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:16 am

hopeforthebest wrote:Since Woakes started to bowl faster he's lost his ability to swing the ball and can't find a good line and length.

In fairness , hope , he had been going pretty well until today. But today was awful...he started poorly and I was always fearful he'd be slaughtered at the end : might have been better if Morgan had bowled him out earlier. His last pp over and that 49th were the stuff of nightmares...
I do wonder if it might not have been a good idea to give Bopara an over or two at some point ; would have given them the flexibility so that a bowler having a horror day need not finish his allocation.
alfie

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:32 am

alfie wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:Since Woakes started to bowl faster he's lost his ability to swing the ball and can't find a good line and length.

In fairness , hope , he had been going pretty well until today. But today was awful...he started poorly and I was always fearful he'd be slaughtered at the end : might have been better if Morgan had bowled him out earlier. His last pp over and that 49th were the stuff of nightmares...
I do wonder if it might not have been a good idea to give Bopara an over or two at some point ; would have given them the flexibility so that a bowler having a horror day need not finish his allocation.

Bops doesn't seem to be part of the bowling plan at the moment, unless someone gets injured.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:36 am

alfie wrote:

Two years ago many of his wickets came through threatening the edge of the bat now they come from missed timed pull or hook shots. I'd put money on his six count being the highest of all our bowlers.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby rich1uk » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:57 am

Dr Robert wrote:
alfie wrote:

Bops doesn't seem to be part of the bowling plan at the moment, unless someone gets injured.

given he doesn't seem to be part of the batting plan either you have to wonder why he is even in the team

can we afford to be carrying him as an insurance policy just in case we need him to bowl 4 or 5 overs one game
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby rich1uk » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:59 am

been saying all competition that he looks to be bowling the same lines and lengths as he did when he was a bit slower and getting extra swing , now he has found that extra pace he needs to adjust his line and length and hasn't been able to do it yet

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:03 am

I think this was a different kind of pitch though where they felt bowlers could get on top, so giving the pace bowlers ten overs each seemed a good idea. Woakes had a bad day (people do in ODIs which can be brutal) but in the death overs, it's hard to introduce a part timer. Though these are the games it should be tried in, if you were going to do that.

Moeen has been so good for England. He gave England ten economical overs and a wicket today, and he offers a batting threat too. His bowling is really relied on.

If England win this I'm going to go on about them being WC favourites from now on.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:06 am

No feet there from Moeen, but what a lovely graceful drive.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby rich1uk » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:06 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
If England win this I'm going to go on about them being WC favourites from now on.

we'll hold you to that

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:08 am

Not a bad start. If we can keep that r/rate around or below six then we'll be ok, I think.

As for Bops. It's reasonable to say that he needs some runs today.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby rich1uk » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:11 am

taylor goes , cracking catch from Maxwell , couldn't have been closer to a front foot no-ball tho

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:12 am

That was a no ball. If they're close, it always goes with the bowler though.

Crap shot and a frantic innings though.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches