Random footie

The beautiful game!

Re: Random footie

Postby Aidan11 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:38 am

I noticed MK Dons played AFC Wimbledon last night.

I'm surprised there wasn't more publicity about this game even though it was the JPT. It was always believed it would be a highly charged match for both sets of supporters.

I'm guessing it passed off without incident.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:41 am

Aidan11 wrote:I noticed MK Dons played AFC Wimbledon last night.

I'm surprised there wasn't more publicity about this game even though it was the JPT. It was always believed it would be a highly charged match for both sets of supporters.

I'm guessing it passed off without incident.

There was a bit of trouble at the last game, in Milton Keynes. Forgot they were playing, tbh.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:57 pm

Who's this 15 year old Norwegian who's been picked for the Norwegian National squad and has had interest from Barcelona and Man Utd amongst others?
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby dan08 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:05 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Who's this 15 year old Norwegian who's been picked for the Norwegian National squad and has had interest from Barcelona and Man Utd amongst others?

Martin Odegaard. Haven't seen him play but he's supposed to be the next big thing.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:35 pm

dan08 wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:Who's this 15 year old Norwegian who's been picked for the Norwegian National squad and has had interest from Barcelona and Man Utd amongst others?

Martin Odegaard. Haven't seen him play but he's supposed to be the next big thing.

Expect Sussex will know a bit about him.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Very hard to judge Martin Ødegaard at this stage in his career, as it is with anyone his age.

If you are going to ask me "does he look a prospect", then its a massive yes. Out of any player under 18 I have seen play, the only people that young to look as good to me were Joe Cole, Wayne Rooney and Lionel Messi, but all were 2 years old than him.

What does he have? His intricate and intelligent passing is his best skill and he can split defenses with a through ball, has good control when running at pace, is not afraid to drop deep to get the ball and exploit the space in the front of the back 4, turns on a sixpence, classic Messi style "low centre of gravity" type movement that gives him the change of direction that kills defenders.

What he doesnt have is the quickness and acceleration of the likes of a top, top player, but you are comparing him to full adults.... he isnt slow at the moment, and I assume he will get quicker, its just a question of how much.... I honestly dont know how much pace people develop between 15-18.

Another question mark for me is his size and how coaches view him developing. Currently I see him as a David Silva type of "sit in the pocket and pass" type of player, but if he can improve his strength and gets quicker, then he has the skills to become a goalscoring attacking midfielder/classic number 10.

Other than that, I would say he is a little like young Ronaldo at Man United. Has the touch and the pretty bells and bows to his game, but sometime his close control can let him down, other times he tries too much and needs to learn to reign it in play simple... but like him, capable of things that others arent.

It might sound negative, but then again, I am comparing a 15 year old to adults. He is a 10/10 prospect, make no doubt about that. If he fulfills his potential then we could be looking at an all time legend, but for that he needs not only hard work, a lot of development, and most of all, a lot of luck.

He does seem very down to earth though, very mature, very cool, and very respectful of his manager and coaches.

Personally think he needs to stay here for another year or two where he is getting football.

Love to see him do well for obvious reasons.... he is a local lad too, born a few minutes drive away.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:20 pm

Obviously as well, if he signed for Man United I could see some donkey journeyman Burnley defender breaking his leg in 16 places and never seeing him walk again.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:03 pm

Cheers for the info Sussex, will keep an eye for him, see how he develops. Critical choices for him and his advisors in the near future which could decide if he makes it or not.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby yuppie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:24 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Cheers for the info Sussex, will keep an eye for him, see how he develops. Critical choices for him and his advisors in the near future which could decide if he makes it or not.

Dont go to Chealski, you wont get a game untill your 25, and by then you will have been loaned out to 12 different clubs
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby SaintPowelly » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Should come to Saints, we have a proven record of developing players.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby yuppie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:55 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:Should come to Saints, we have a proven record of developing players.

Yep, proven track record
yuppie

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:51 am

A spell at a Championship club like Bournemouth would do him no harm at all. Actually it would because he would get no protection from referees and although he would fit in with the way we try to play the game he would come up against opposition who take no prisoners.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:04 am

SaintPowelly wrote:Should come to Saints, we have a proven record of developing players.

I don't think he will be any use to you at the moment. He couldn't play in the Premier League, not for a while. He is small and so any defender that stays tight to him can simply hustle him out of a game, he does well in a League where most defences are probably as good as Championship to League One quality, so they give him the space to operate in without his strength becoming an issue.

While being small isn't a problem (someone like Aguero is damn strong, Messi also is much more durable then people give him credit), he has to get stronger, and his all round skill wont standout as much in other leagues. The Championship might be a good shout simply because a bit of rough and tumble treatment might help to toughen him up.

Personally though, looking at the type of player he is, I don't want him to go to England..... a player of his type would have all of the technique beaten out of him by the time he is 21, he simply isn't the type of player that English teams produce, or particularly know how to handle.

It would do Norway a favour if Barcelona were interested, get him in La Mesia finishing school where they have developed players like him. Then again, would he stand out there and get the first team opportunities over Spanish players?

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:12 am

Rio wants to manage Man United one day

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/95091 ... ter-United

Cant see it, but would be interested to see him as a manager. Just wonder if his ego could take starting with a team in the lower leagues. Or is he maybe letting QPR know that when Harry's done he can step up?
yuppie

Postby sussexpob » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:19 am

yuppie wrote:Rio wants to manage Man United one day

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/95091 ... ter-United

Cant see it, but would be interested to see him as a manager. Just wonder if his ego could take starting with a team in the lower leagues. Or is he maybe letting QPR know that when Harry's done he can step up?

He was an intelligent reader of the game as a player, and when he is not being an absolute prat he can be a decent analyser of the game too..... not sure he has the personality to step into management though, I find him a bit arrogant and childish tbh.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum