Random footie

The beautiful game!

Re: Random footie

Postby sussexpob » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:56 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:but didn't he also get into trouble for avoiding tax (like everyone who plays in Spain), so maybe he just gave away the Spanish govt's money instead of his own

Behind the sensationalist press headlines of footballers being dragged into court for tax evasion, there was a heavily political agenda in play in Spain at the time (these court cases took place when I lived there- well not Ronaldo, but the Barca ones and Alonso), and a lot of nuance can be added to the situation. The Spanish economy boomed in the 2000's, and they passed a law which not only legalised, but specifically encouraged, foreign rich people to evade tax in certain ways on their worldwide income. Then the 2009 Financial crash hit Spain horrendously, the policy became hugely political and unpopular,so the government were forced to go as hard as possible at tax avoidance schemes that they had previously created. Such was the outcry and insistence from the public, one could certainly make the case that there was no option they were going to get off without some debt being paid back to society.

I cant remember the exact details/figures, but a foreign person could move to Spain and pay the lowest tax rate (25% by memory, for a max 5 years) by declaring all their worldwide earnings in their Spanish tax return. The idea would be that while they got a huge tax break on their domestic earnings, Spain would then get 25% of a very rich persons worldwide earnings too. The Spanish government helped these people set up the legal shell companies that masked their worldwide earnings coming from Spain to facilitate that, to avoid double taxation.

They then went after the same people for doing what they legalised, arguing a completely opposite legal situation. The law change then argued that every single penny these players earned could be proved to have been generated in Spain, which imo, was totally legally wrong and was just a heavy-handed government fudging the trials to ensure the people got their pound of flesh.

Take Messi for instance. He signed a contract with a Canadian company in Canada to be on the cover of FIFA's game. 99% of the game sales were outside Spain, the work undertook was outside Spain. He was subsequently nearly jailed for not paying tax on the money received, because it was argued 100% of that money was generated in Spain.

Same with the others. In one case, one player got paid to market clothing that wasnt even sold in Spain, and still got busted for tax evasion for not paying his tax on the earnings to Spain, even though the full amount was declared in a bank account in the country of question, and tax paid on it.

I have no doubt there may have been some foul play, but most of it was extremely harsh
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:12 pm

Garth Crooks, on the World cup

It was shrouded in controversy and ended being one of the most successful World Cup finals of all time. The quality of the football was, on occasions, quite extraordinary.

To witness fans watching games without hurling abuse at each other was a breath of fresh air. There was not a whiff of racism or violence as fans from all parts of the world sat side by side in one of the most eclectic and diverse finals ever witnessed.

The reduced amounts of alcohol in Qatar didn't just seem to fuel a carnival atmosphere throughout the tournament but sent a stark message to the rest of the football world of what might be achieved if so much booze wasn't so readily available.

The festive period will have fans across the country returning to their tribal rituals as though it were a crucial element to the culture of the game. However, what Qatar demonstrated is that football is much more enjoyable without copious amounts of liquor, abuse or threatening behaviour.

I agree with every word of that
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby yuppie » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:09 pm

For all the badness that booze brings to the game, 6000 people did not have to die to hold previous WC.

As for rascism.....see above. Just because it was not visible whilst the games were going on does not mean it was not there. How soon its all been forgotten due to a so called festival of football.

now what happens to all the people being employed to pull down these stadiums....
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:27 pm

ah well, yuppie, in a just a few years time I reckon we'll all be outraged about a world cup in Saudi

human rights issues, migrant worker issues, all the same stuff as this year, but pockets will be filled with no questions asked cash, so it'll get the green light and the world will be told that this is football shining a light on the issues......

in the interim former French footballing legends might be getting paid handsomely for organising luxury trips to all the latest yacht exhibitions on behalf of the new decision makers, should they be looking for something to spend the contents of their hard earned, plain brown Saudi envelopes on
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby yuppie » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:50 pm

Yep i fear you are right DF. 2030 for Saudi WC.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:41 am

I didn't watch any of the WC, but that seems like a whitewash job by Crooks. I wonder if he is representing the general view of the football media industry. Of course, it is in their interest too if everything steams onwards without too much introspection and self doubt. Why would he be looking for the negatives while he is fed by business as usual.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:09 am

Crooks was talking about alcohol in football, to my mind, and the very negative effect it has on football for everyone.... which I agree with

Extensive new barriers are to be erected outside Wembley, I understand, in an attempt to prevent a repeat of the alcohol fuelled storming of Wembley in 2021

at least the footballing authorities will completely understand the motives of the steward who was stuffing his pockets full of cash opening up a barrier to yobs with no tickets..... they'll probably be kicking themselves for not thinking of that themselves
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:11 am

OK, fair enough. It looked like that this was his take on the competition as a whole.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:24 am

I like, and often have, a beer while watching USG play. If someone was to tell me it was banned though, it wouldn't stop me going nor change much. Alcohol doesn't NEED to be a part of football, and I'd respect the law of the country and culture I was going to.

But Crooks is waaaaayyyy off on his comments about racism. At best, his own experience seems to have clouded his judgement, at worst he simply must not care about racism that is directed towards people of a different ethnicity/race.

Fans sung about Frances team coming from Angola. Jewish visitors in Qatar were widely insulted or refused service. Mexicans and Argentinians had a street brawl. There was chants about ethnically cleansing Kosovans....and so on. If anything, there were more instances in this world cup than tournaments in modern times.

And even if there wasnt, FIFA decided it was ok to chant anti-Semitic things, but not ok to wear rainbow colours. Racism is only one end of the spectrum.....

This world cup made women a subclass, told LGBTQI+ fans to stay home, and there were several instances of fan chanting directed at gays and trans people that went unpunished.

Maybe if Garth was Jewish, he'd have felt he'd stepped back to 1937 Germany when refused service in a restaurant, not in 2022 in an inclusive event
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:15 am

Was it the Qataris or travelling fans who were targeting Jews and gays? Or both?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:46 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Was it the Qataris or travelling fans who were targeting Jews and gays? Or both?

Before the tournament, Qatar reneged on an agreement to provide kosher food and prayer facilities to people of Jewish faith travelling, although then claimed that was nonsense despite massive evidence to the contrary.

Israeli reporters caught multiple incidents on film while trying to speak to fans, including threats of violence and being told they weren't welcome, mostly by Saudi and Qatari fans. Many incidents of Israelis being refused service, and one Egyptian reporter was violently assaulted by a crowd who thought he was Jewish.

As for the homo/transphobic comments, fans of pretty much all the Latin American countries routinely sung songs with horrendous lyrics. Even in the final they were singing about Mbappé being gay and having sexy with trans people. In the match v Holland, they bombarded the Dutch keeper with homophobic insults.

Worth noting, Latin American fans stood up for Qatar in their position against trans/gay people, most of the Brazil team are outspoken bolsonaro supporters. It's a problem endemic to the continent.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:21 pm

OK, thanks. With Brazil, Russia and Qatar, FIFA are on lousy run.

The way the WC is being acclaimed as a triumph reminds me of the Queen's death when a majority of pro-royalists took it upon themselves to decide that the large minority who felt differently, didn't exist.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:53 pm

2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:26 am

Gareth Bale retires from all football. Seemed inevitable after the WC - not the player he was. At his finest, he was excellent - Wales' best ever?
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby sussexpob » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:56 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:Gareth Bale retires from all football. Seemed inevitable after the WC - not the player he was. At his finest, he was excellent - Wales' best ever?

He's not the best Welsh player, I think Giggs has to take that accolade....but he's the best player that Wales have had in the national team, in a period where they went to the semi final of a major tournament mostly on the back of him dragging them. Seemed to really love playing for Wales, other decent players they've had haven't.

Hard to forget at one point he broke the world record..I guess you could say for a while he really was that good. But his professionalism at Madrid was seriously questionable....strange guy. For Wales, he bled out his pours to run....for club, he was more interested in golf.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum