International Football thread

The beautiful game!

Re: International Football thread

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:47 am

Didn't see the game but saw the goals, and very brief highlights. Pity Butland let one in from 25 yards as I rate him, and am not a huge Hart fan.

Good goals from all three of our 'new generation' and a by the sounds of it a good display with some fluency at last.

I'm not going to write off Rooney just yet. He'll be at the Euros, and will definitely start, well 99% definite.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:46 am

I prefer Forster and Butland ahead of Hart. Hart is prone to a howler and he has to punch everything that comes in the box, but no doubt he will start.

Not sure Rooney will be fit enough to play but this injury break will mean he will have recharged his ageing batteries in time for the tournament.

I'd go with the form players from Leicester and Spurs when the tournament starts but how much is the race for the title going to take out of them, mentally and physically, over the next two months?
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:21 am

Gingerfinch wrote:Didn't see the game but saw the goals, and very brief highlights. Pity Butland let one in from 25 yards as I rate him, and am not a huge Hart fan.

In fairness to Butland, he kicked out the ball about 10 seconds before the goal and injured himself. He was in clear pain, and was struggling to move when Kroos shot.... dont think you can therefore give him that much of a hard time. In a friendly situation he was naive to try to play on. He should have laid down and the ball would have been kicked out. He went off injured after taking a few minutes treatment before the game resumed.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:38 am

Gingerfinch wrote: I'm not going to write off Rooney just yet. He'll be at the Euros, and will definitely start, well 99% definite.

Thats crazy talk for me. He isnt even fit, hasnt been anywhere near his best for a while, and is certainly nowhere near the form of others. There are simply better options to pick.

England always default to this annoying state of never having the balls to cut away from options that dont work based on reputation. Rooney was poor in the lead up to the last world cup, and the only thing I remember about him in that world cup was that horrendous miss he made.

We all know Roy will pick him, and totally compromise the team by playing Rooney in the 10 role he is totally incapable of being effective in, but its the nature of the English press that he will get blamed for doing that, while also being blamed for not picking Captain fantastic if England dont win.

Rooney's time has passed for me. Alli was brilliant yesterday, and Kane and Vardy both scored brilliant goals...... sod Rooney, go with the youngsters!
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:47 am

To illustrate the point, there have been many journalists who have been suggesting Jack Wilshere go to the Euro's. Quite a lot in fact. Started 9 games in 2 seasons....... simply crazy talk.

In fact, the journo from the mirror was stating Wilshere was the future leader of the England team and that he needed to go simply because he was that important.

Its arguable if he will even have a career in two years. He has just turned 24 and has basically spent 3 whole seasons already injured, and in the seasons he plays he has consistently broken down.

How anyone can suggest a player who cant even get through 90 minutes should be starting for the nation is worrying

sussexpob

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:17 pm

Hodgson is loyal to his players and has been pretty clear about Wilshere coming back in the team if he's fit.

I say forget him, but note that before he got injured he was MOM in four successive qualifying games.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Aidan11 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:38 pm

2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:05 pm

Rooney will start if fit. Whether he should, possibly not. Another good thing about last night is Sterling's place is in serious doubt.
Gingerfinch

Postby sussexpob » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:10 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Hodgson is loyal to his players and has been pretty clear about Wilshere coming back in the team if he's fit.

I say forget him, but note that before he got injured he was MOM in four successive qualifying games.

Id be amazed if the boy is still playing football in 2 years time. For me, his career is all but over. 3 whole seasons out (plus other injuries in the seasons he has played coming all the time) no only put serious question marks on whether or not he can actually make 45 minutes on a pitch, after all his latest injury lead to another similar injury straight after he got to training, there is huge question marks whether he has any quality to give having not played for so long.

Taking him is full mental breakdown style selection. I personally think his career is done, id probably be mildly surprised if he ever kicks a ball at Arsenal again, maybe even the Premier League

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:11 pm

Gingerfinch wrote:Rooney will start if fit. Whether he should, possibly not. Another good thing about last night is Sterling's place is in serious doubt.

Lallana was the worst player on the pitch, he was utterly redundant. Sterling is arguably still Englands best player, and has been when he has played recently. If Sterling is fit, he starts on the left.

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:16 pm

Sterling is pretty awful when he's played for England. I'd rather have a front three of Welbeck, Kane, and Sturridge/Vardy or even Rooney, if we play 4-3-3.

As Budget said, Roy is loyal, and I reckon he'll go with tried and tested once the important games come.

I've just noticed my first line contradicts the second, so Sterling will no doubt be starting!
Gingerfinch

Postby sussexpob » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:36 pm

[quote="Gingerfinch"]Sterling is pretty awful when he's played for England. /quote]

As evidenced by the fact he was generally considered our best player at the last world cup (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28011429) based on the ratings, and was the top of the England team assists in the qualifiers....

Sounds terrible.

sussexpob

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:55 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Gingerfinch wrote:Rooney will start if fit. Whether he should, possibly not. Another good thing about last night is Sterling's place is in serious doubt.

Lallana was the worst player on the pitch, he was utterly redundant. Sterling is arguably still Englands best player, and has been when he has played recently. If Sterling is fit, he starts on the left.

Very arguably!
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby st_brendy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:09 pm

Aidan11 wrote:Strange isn't it?

We beat Germany in a friendly and people get carried away.

We beat them 5-1in a qualifying group once but guess which team later went on to reach the WC final a year later.

I'm not sure too many people are getting carried away. I don't see many people suddenly saying we're going to win the Euro's. In fact, if anything, most people seem to still be downbeat in the expectation that the likes of Rooney and Milner will soon be right back into this team when fit.

There's nothing wrong with celebrating a one-off comeback win from 2-0 down away to the world champions, or celebrating the success of some young players who could be our future. I've got a much bigger issue with people who only really comment when we lose; people who just love to be negative.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby SaintPowelly » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:12 pm

Twice in a week Emre Can has been 2-0 up against Fraser Forster and lost 3-2
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly